Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Iraqi puppy needs help

tinayates
January 15th, 2004, 10:55 AM
This is going to be a strange request, but what the hey. I'm currently serving in Iraq as part of OIF. Two weeks ago somebody in my unit came across two very young puppies that had evidently been abandoned by the mom. Last Sunday the little boy died (I have no idea why...I'm definitely no vet or I wouldn't be here!) but the little girl is alive and kicking. I've even gone so far as to name her Cadence. Point of the story is, I'm feeling her milk from our chow hall and I know that's not the best thing for her by a landslide, but as you might imagine our doggie resources are quite limited here, not to mention I could get into decent trouble if I'm caught with her. If you know anybody who could help, I could really use maybe formula (do they even make that for dogs?), puppy chow, anything else you can think of, and ADVICE. My address here is:
SSG Christina Yates
D Co. 2-82 AVN REGT
D-Rear
APO, AE 09384

Anything at all would be helpful. Thanks!

Luba
January 15th, 2004, 12:22 PM
WOW

what would happen if you get caught?

Luba
January 15th, 2004, 12:27 PM
OHhh I forgot to give u this for what you're doing

daisy18216
January 15th, 2004, 08:00 PM
I want to start off by saying first, THANK YOU for fighting for our freedom!!!:D

Second, what will they do to you if they find you w/this poor dog??

I'm going to post this in another board that I'm on, and hopefully we can get you some help.

You men and women are doing a great job!!!!!:D

tinayates
January 16th, 2004, 03:50 AM
You're probably going to be as shocked as I am when I first heard this, but there are some people here going around our base shooting any of the dogs they find. A couple guys in my sister battalion also had a puppy and when the higher-ups found out about it they had to take him out to the middle of nowhere and abandon him. I'm being careful with my little girl, and nobody knowing about her wants anything to happen to her. Today was a good day for her: she opened her eyes! I think overall she's doing well and she's getting lots of love and attention. Thank you for responding to this! I'm not exactly a bulletin board expert but I didn't know what else to do. I'll take a picture of her and post it tomorrow so you can see a "genuine" Iraqi dog :D

Luba
January 16th, 2004, 11:36 AM
We'd love to see a picture!

I'm not sure how long you can keep the dog though, they tend to bark and whine. Someone will hear. I'm sure your quarters are shared with others.

Is there no facility set up there to deal with homeless pets?

daisy18216
January 16th, 2004, 11:55 AM
Here's one response that I got from the other board I belong to.

If you can see if you can get near some Goats milk which should be very common in your area. Goats milk is safe for everyone, and don't worry about pasturizing it for the dog.

Raw meat and bone(never cooked bone), and scrap beef trim is ok as well, and steamed vegis, but no onions.

This is lightyears ahead of puppy chow, and will give her a chance at a healthy life.

Are you bringing her home? What is going to happen to her?
Let me know how things go.
mongrelhordes @ shaw.ca (remove spaces)
Cheers!
R.

Yes, please do let us know how things go.

Good Luck!!!

daisy18216
January 19th, 2004, 08:14 AM
Here's some more responses that I got.

1.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please forward this ASAP!

Well I'm not one to say oh it is easier to just turn away...that doesn't work for me so...OK the question is how does one rescue said dog from Iraq? And help change the situation there?

Yesterday I read a recent article in the WSPA mag about getting help for animals in this area ie..Jalalabads working horses, brnging vet supplies to Iraq, and Dubi setting up the first humane animal control program in the UAE...so they are very active in the middle east, and ...maybe they can help, and pull some strings as it says on their webstie:
"WSPA has consultative status at the United Nations and the Council of Europe"

Which tells me they are also responsible, and not just some wingnut AR group...like PETA.

Here is a link to WSPA's site...
www.wspa.org.uk/index.php?ilocale=2

Here is the direct link to the offices page...
www.wspa.org.uk/index.php?page=277

IMHO The practice of shooting, and or abandoning dogs is pretty sick. I thought the idea was to be there to improve the situation, and living conditions in that area?

Anyway contact WSPA and let me know how things are going.

Cheers!
R.
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.-Friedrich Nietzsche

2. In a recent issue of Reader's Digest there were pictures of the troops in Iraq and among them was picture of a soldier sleeping with a puppy. The article said the puppy had been adopted by this particular battalion as a mascot and it looked fat and happy.

Wonder why the reports of dogs been killed if the "higher ups" found out about them?

I hope some of this is helpful, especially that website. There were some more responses, but mostlly questions for you. Alot of them want to know if you plan on bringing this pup to the US, and if your going to keep her? They're hoping that you'll be able to take her home w/you.

Do you have any pics that you can post? We would love to see a pic of her?

Please keep in touch.