Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Horseflies plaguing dog's naked tummy

Lizablue22
July 3rd, 2006, 08:29 AM
Our 18-month old border collie was spayed 2 weeks ago. The incision has healed well, but the fur has not yet grown back on her tummy. Now, when we take her for a walk, horseflies zero in and bite her naked tummy. We live in the country, and there are a lot of flies.

Is there something safe we can use as an insect repellant? I know we can't use human repellant since she will be sure to lick it...and I wouldn't want it so close to the incision. And what about something to put on the bites to stop them itching? I thought of using a baking soda/water paste...would that be OK? Or is it better just to leave them...they don't seem to bother her too much.

badger
July 3rd, 2006, 08:41 AM
Ouch! How about a T-shirt?
Sorry, I don't know of any safe/effective products offhand.

RVT092481
July 3rd, 2006, 11:32 AM
I don't know if this is what you're looking for...But a vet company named vetoquinol makes a product called Active 3. It's a topical (like advantage). It has a citronella smell and it protect the dog from many different things like mosquitos, ticks, black flies, fleas, horse flies..and other things (sorry can't remember right now). It doesn't have any heartworm preventive in it (their theory is that it works against the mosquitos biting the dog) but it is completely safe to use with any heartworm medication. I've had people that are on their own heartworm medication but want that extra peace of mind when going camping to ease the dog's itchiness. I haven't used it personally but I've heard a lot of good things about it. It's fairly new (I think it came out last year) but you can only get in in vet clinics and if they don't carry it, they would be able to get it from their purchasing company (usually Vet Purchasing).