Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help with dog grooming

JoLou
July 2nd, 2006, 08:14 AM
Hi

I have a 3 month old Bichon/ with a bit of Lhasa little tyke. His hair id getting long. He gets pretty hot. Problem is this all is new to me and I feel really stupid about the grooming stuff-

Is he too little to take for a clipping?

What do I ask for- what are the terms used- so he does not come out looking like a naked guinea pig?

How short do you go? how often do you get them clipped?

He looks so cute and fuzzy now that hate to get him clipped but it is getting long and he is getting hot.

Jo

Prin
July 2nd, 2006, 11:36 AM
I don't know about cuts and things, but I'd say it's not too early to go. It's better to get him used to it early on, but make sure you go to a good groomer that isn't going to do anything to make him uneasy around groomers in the future.:)

mafiaprincess
July 2nd, 2006, 01:16 PM
I would call places to make sure your pup has all the required shots to get groomed. Some places won't take them till you can prove they have had rabies, and need proof of it, so you may have a little longer wait, or not.

I'd tell them you think he's seeming kind of warm and would like him trimmed some, not shaved down. And tell them you think an inch or whatever in your mind is appropriate. Let them talk to you about it.

Depends upon the dog and how high maintenance the haircut is, and how upset the owner is to see them not looking perfect.
I have a cocker in a 1/4" cut with her ears natural and leg poms. After a week I can see variation in her coat.. And since I do it myself depending upon how I feel we do random clean ups a few times a month..

Lot of people seem to keep a 6 week schedule with the groomer.

Fur keeps them insulated away from the heat. It's a misconception to think a dog will be automatically cooler with less hair, but they may be more comfortable trimmed down some if they have an awful lot of hair.

muckypup
July 3rd, 2006, 01:31 PM
You want to start him as soon as he’s received his second set of puppy shots.
You should have him groomed every 4-6 weeks, especially if you like a longer haircut.
Usually with a dog like yours the type of haircut is the same length all over, (sometimes called a “puppy cut” or a “strip”) cute round head that’s a little bit longer than the body, and the length of ears and tail is up to you. You can also get it a little bit longer on the legs (sometimes called a “kennel clip”).
For a puppy’s first groom I wouldn’t go for a full haircut yet because it may be too much for him all at once. As long as he’s not too matted, then the most I would ask for is a bath, brush, nail trim, ear cleaning and trim around the eyes, sanitary areas and paws. The next groom add a tidy up all over, then the next time go for the full haircut. 1-1 1/2 inches long is good for a puppy.
Pet lengths are usually ¼ inch to ¾ inch. I think ½ inch or ¾ inch is the ideal length for a pet, year round, it’s short and functional but still fluffy and cute.
If you want a haircut longer than ¾ inch you have to take really good care of your dog’s coat and it has to be tangle free.
Good luck with your puppy.