Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Treats?

Cody'smom
January 14th, 2004, 08:37 PM
Hi everyone!
I have read that rawhide can be bad for dogs. Today I came home to find that my husband had given our 10-week old puppy a rawhide bone. It kept him occupied all day and he didn't cry and whine like he has been doing. Is this dangerous? Should we stay away from the rawhide? Are the pig's ears any better?

Thank you,
Brandy
cody'smom

Luba
January 14th, 2004, 08:56 PM
Personally I say no.

The digestion of these items is very difficult in the dogs stomach. Often they bite off and swallow large pieces that end up undesolved in the stomach or as blockages in the intestine.

Best not to give.

mona_b
January 14th, 2004, 09:37 PM
I agree with Luba.

If you want,boil a soup bone.Or better yet,get a knuckle bone.Puppy will love that.Or even a Kong.And fill it with a treat.

What is the little guy?

Carina
January 15th, 2004, 05:21 AM
Pigs ears aren't a good idea either, at least on a regular basis - like many of these treats they are often preserved with stuff (it's early & I am not thinking straight!) banned in the US.

Large raw soup bones (the best, IMHO)*
stuffed Kongs
Nylabones - there's a whole range of types.
There's also some type of "bone"....they come in flavors like cheese and chicken and liver...Cooper adored those when he was little! But he's a Rottweiler and soon got big enough to just eat them...but they were cellulose, designed to be easily digested. Check at a pet store for those.
The compressed rawhide is better than the regular rawhide because they can't chew off big pieces.

In the past I gave out rawhides for years without any problems. Once though I had a puppy who chewed the knot off the end and had a really scary choking incident! So I'd say if you must use rawhides, use ones without knots, and use really large ones that the pup can't actually swallow any peices of.

*I personally think the cooked/smoked ones aren't a good idea either. They're very hard, unlike a fresh bone, and dogs easily chip their teeth on them. Also unlike a fresh bone they are undigestible so a dog who can chew off large peices runs the risk of obstruction like with a rawhide.

Heather MH
January 15th, 2004, 04:21 PM
I'm no expert, but........

I like to give my 5 month old puppies bones from our local butcher shop. As I understand these are the best. Our butcher shop smokes them so they are ready to give... no cooking required.

I use to give them rawhides when we were home, but I read an article about them that I didn't like. Although I can't rememer it all the one thing that stuck with me was that they expand in there stomach. Those little pups (or atleast mine) like to swallow a fairly large piece at the end and imagine trying to digest that once it has expanded.

So anyway I vote for bones from the butcher shop. I think if the pups could they would to :) :)

daisy18216
January 15th, 2004, 06:29 PM
We get bones from our butcher shop too, and also at walgreens.

They have nice sized bones that they sell.

Doggies love them!!!

Spoiled
January 15th, 2004, 07:05 PM
My dog likes Nylabones, and cornstarch bones. The cornstarch bones come in different flavours, and they don't smell or stain and the dogs love them! There are also Greenies, and my dog also loves those, but gets sick if he eats too much, so I don't use those a lot. The raw bones from the butcher are great, but we don't use them often because they are messy.

***Personaly, I would use cornstarch or nylabones.:D

Cody'smom
January 15th, 2004, 07:50 PM
Thanks everyone for your advice. I also talked to the vet today and he recommended staying away from the rawhide as well. We have a Nylabone. He'll chew on it every so often, but he's not too crazy about it. We've been trying some different things with the Kong and we may be on to something. I think he's starting to get into it a little more each time.
Thanks again,
Brandy & Cody (siberian husky)

mona_b
January 15th, 2004, 09:29 PM
Help me out hear Luba...LR...

But I was told by many people that cornstarch is not good for dogs?

Am I right or wrong?

Carina
January 16th, 2004, 05:43 AM
There have been anecdotal reports (I've read on the internet) of dogs who've chewed & swallowd the peices & need sugery for obstruction, but honestly, this can happen with AHYTHING indigestible a dog can swallow.

The same thing can happen with raw bones if the dog eats a whole bunch at once, or Kongs - Daphne can chew up the "indestructible" black Kongs. :eek: I imagine a nylabone, if swallowed whole, would be a problem too. Or tennis balls; I knew someone who's GSD choked to death on one. Her hand is permanently scarred from trying to get it out. :(

It's a fact of life with dogs, many will chew & eat all sorts on innapropriate stuff & we owners have to use common sense!