Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Roundworms

Fused0ne
July 2nd, 2006, 12:34 AM
Ok, my puppy almost 3 months (as the vet's assistant guessed on his age to the best of her ability when I took in his stool sample) has roundworms.

The vet said I could pick a medicine up for roundworms at the store, well the assitant said when she called to give me the results of the test.

So I went and got him what I saw for roundworms, 8 in 1 brand Liquid Roundworm medicine.

It says one teaspoon per ten pounds of body weight, he weighed 6 pounds so I gave him a bit over half a teaspoon.

It says after initial dose give anothe dose 10 days later, then every 30 to help prevent re-infection.

My question is can I do more then 1 treatment in a row? For example one treatment seems to consist of 2 doses 10 days apart.

I would like to do for once time 3 treatments in a row, then start the every 30 day thing.

Question is would this harm him? For example he's half way through the first treatment. He had a dose on the 22nd, so he' up for the 2nd dose tomorrow, unless I'm suppose to count the 22nd?? That would mean he would need a dose today! I am not sure do I cound the 22nd as part of the 10 days or not?

Thenwhat I want to do is wait another 10 days and give him another dose, wait 10 days and give him another dose (so this would be the 2nd treatment).

10 days after that start the 3rd treatment, then 10 days later give him the last dose for that treatment and wait 30 days to start the every 30 days cycle.

Would this be to much worm medicine? I read that puppies get dewormed like at 6, 8, 12, and 16 weeks? He's never been dewormed, the people who I got him from (read my New Puppy Question post on more info on where I got him), you can tell had them outside probably in the dirt as they (his siblings) were full of dirt.

So is that to much deworming medicine? What I want to do? Again its the 8 in 1 brand Liquid Wormer that removes Roundworms.

And when the last treatment is given (before the 30 day cycle treatment starts) when should another sample be taken to the vet?

Thanks in advance.

I also would like to know any advice you may have in the 8 in 1 brand, as its not exspensive (should I be worried it might not work right cause it dont cost alot?) As I am on a very very limited budget and would like something to keep him on monthly to deal with making sure, or atleast doing what I can to keep him from getting re-infested.

Oh one more thing, he has these chew toys, a rubber branch chew toy, and a stuffed dog he loves to chew and pounce on. Should these be washed daily? Since they come in contact with his mouth? Should I not give him any chew toys until after treatment is over?

Shaykeija
July 2nd, 2006, 01:10 AM
You really should call your vet. hope puppy is worm free soon.:pawprint:

Fused0ne
July 2nd, 2006, 04:08 AM
The vet is the one who said just to go buy roundworm medicine from the store.

So all my questions I'd like to get other pet owners opinions and such on them.

Thx for replying.

mommy2coco
July 2nd, 2006, 04:26 AM
I suggest you call the vet back and be persistent ... sometimes I notice vets will give you minimal answers unless you ask lots of specific questions ....

badger
July 2nd, 2006, 08:18 AM
I am very leery of over-the-counter meds. Some of them are downright harmful (not saying yours is). I'm frankly surprised that a vet would prescribe them.
I would give the two doses recommended by the vet, then a week after the second dose do another fecal test. If there is no evidence of worms, there is no need to go on treating for them.
The fewer meds the better in my book.