Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Royally ****** at public ignorance today

BMDLuver
July 1st, 2006, 06:46 PM
Today I was at a local shelter as it's July 1.. yippie animal dumping day in Quebec. :mad:

While there, a young lady comes in with a beautiful chocolate brindle pit male. Young fellow full of wiggles and wags. Families are waiting to go in to the adoption section as it's not yet open.. five minutes to go..

Woman grabs her three kids and shoves them behind her.. I was so irratated that I looked right at her and blasted her about her actions... I tried to remain polite.. pointing out that someone is not going to walk into a room full of families with a pit on a loose leash who would attack one of them. She says, they are a dangerous breed. Well, so much for being semi polite. I was so pissed I said well, the danger is being uneducated about the breed. They are awesome dogs and worth their weight in gold with families with children. It's not the dog that's the problem but the idiots that own them. Please take some time to get better educated. I then bent over and gave him a good rub, lots of pats and a big smooch. He almost turned himself inside out and the young lady on the end of the leash said "Thank you, I appreciate that". The woman's husband then went over and gave the dog some attention as well. What I wanted to do was slap her upside of the head but I think my point got across either way..

Just a rant as I'm so tired of the damn stigma attached to this wonderful breed.

jesse's mommy
July 1st, 2006, 06:49 PM
I can totally understand your frustration. We get it all the time with Jesse. We actually just got it the other day by someone, but then she realized how much everyone else was oooing and ahhing over her she calmed down a bit. I came really close to opening my mouth.

Inverness
July 1st, 2006, 07:57 PM
Strange coincidence you mention this Jenn. I was at the vet with Montgomery today and not one, not twice, but three times did I see people step back in the fear of losing an arm or something. Monty is THE most laid back, sweet, calm pitbull in our house. At first, he was all wiggly-bum, but I guess he got bored of not receiving any attention and he just lied there with his head on the floor, his chin between his front paws...

Big, scary monster... :rolleyes:

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/2850/monty443ry.jpg

Copper'sMom
July 1st, 2006, 08:17 PM
Thanks BMD for sticking up for the breed.:grouphug: There are days I am just sick of repeating myself over and over and over about them. Funny thing is, people come up to my car, tell me they love my dog, he's so handsome and then they ask what he is AFTER getting slobbery kisses!!! And then I tell them and they back off a little:confused: . Geese he didn't even get up from his seat to kiss them!!

BMDLuver
July 1st, 2006, 08:29 PM
It's so sad that there are very few of us in Montreal who do stick up for them. Wish there was more of a public awareness type of campaign to ensure that the same thing that happened in Ontario does not trickle in to Quebec. Inverness does more than her share to try to help out. I've only done 5 but oddly enough, one of my adopters ran in to me at the Park with the girls the other day and introduced me to his new girlfriend, who had the most adorable little brindle gal with her. They offered to foster a pup should I need help with one so I'll be watching for a little gal to place with them. They have a big blue male from me who is almost two so I won't try putting in even a male pup.. the female is only 11 weeks old so shouldn't be a problem to integrate another baby female for a month or two. So I guess even the little things add up eventually.

I'm sorry people shy away from your Copper when they know what he is. Silly people, sad commentary on our world really.

mummummum
July 3rd, 2006, 02:52 PM
Education is important no denying it but I think exposure is more necessary. The only pitbulls I had ever met were those owned by men who kept them for their "bad*ss status" and some likely for their fighting ability. All of these dogs were very large, with huge spiked collars, choke chains, pinch collars etc. They are scary dogs who have been trained to be aggressive. There are no pitbulls in my neighbourhood nor in any of our nearby dog parks. Since the legislation was enacted, I have made a point of seeking out pitbulls - not as easy as you who have bullies might think. I think the best way to educate folks is not by word but by deed - get out there, be seen to be responsible - let your dogs be seen to be the sweet, lovable, playful wigglebutts they are. This is not unlike fighting racism. It's not until we meet and know "the other" that we understand "the other" are just like us in all the important ways.

LM1313
July 3rd, 2006, 09:56 PM
That's true . . . The reason why no one's afraid of labs and golden retrievers as a breed is that almost everyone knows someone who has a friendly, sweet one . . . so when one does bite, they KNOW that not all labs are like that. Personal experience trumps statistics. If people saw more of the well-trained, well-adjusted pit bulls, they'd know that they're wonderful dogs. In fact, someone at work who recently started volunteering at the animal shelter was converted after she started walking their pit bulls.

RaYne
July 4th, 2006, 09:32 AM
I too was terrified of Pits. This is going back yeeeears ago, way before the ban. I really have no idea why.. I'd really never even been in the same room with one. Fear of the unknown I guess.

But when I was 15 I started volunteering at a vet clinic. I had to clean all the downstairs kennels and runs. Well I came to work and there was a adult male Pit being boarded. I had to take him out of his kennel, put him out in a run and feed him .. then take him for a walk after everything was cleaned. Well I stood there for a second like a complete tool thinking should I go ask about him first.. or just open the kennel. :o I ended up just opened the kennel.. he runs out before I could get the leash on him and rolls over on his back so I could rub his belly. LMAO Did I ever feel stupid. That dog totally melted any fear that I had. After caring/bonding with for him for a week his owners came to pick him up I was so sad to see him go. It felt like they took MY dog. LOL

Once you meet one you realize the media just hypes them up so much.... but there are well adjusted, well cared for Pits that wouldn't hurt a fly. There are bad apples in EVERY breed. I learned my lesson not to judge the entire breed as a whole.

Sorry I'm rambling.. LOL I just wanted to share my experience. ;)