Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

kitties under house

H.P.
July 1st, 2006, 06:58 PM
Hello! Today, I found out that a stray momma kitty and her kittens are living under my house. :eek: The momma appears to be very young, I am guessing that the kittens are 6-8 weeks (I don't go to the back of the house very often). I think there are 5-6 kittens. The whole family is very skittish when it comes to me getting close. I have set out some food and water for them, to try and get them used to me. The kittens are eating dry food.I am not sure what else to do to get them out, or what I am going to do with them when I do catch them. Any advise? Thanks!
HP

CyberKitten
July 1st, 2006, 09:50 PM
Really, if it were me, I would try to get them in your home asap - you could try trapping them with a humane trap - with tuna or smelly fish. Outside is a dangerous place for tiny kittens even with mama. They also need to see a vet and mama needs to be spayed as she can go into heat not that long after having these babies. They also need to be medically checked.

If you have other pets, find a place you can keep the family until they have a clean bill of health from the vet and then can begin the slow and proper process of introduction.

It is natural that they are skittish but you do not want mama to take the kits elsewhere. She may be feral and that requires an added touch - and now that the kits are that old, it might be a little more difficult to socialize them but my guess is given the time of year, she is a stray who once had a home. I doubt a feral cat would go under a home tho one never knows.

Good luck!!! Is there a cat rescue group in your area that can help you?