Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I'm at my whit's end - housetraining

cdixon101448
July 1st, 2006, 02:55 PM
I have a 8 month old shih tzu, I aquired her a month ago. she was with a family who couldn't give her the attention a puppy requires. As a result she was not completely house broken when i got her. I have managed to get her trained to go to paper, but she has one habit that has totally perplexed me.
She will poop most times on the paper but does go other places sometimes, which is to be expected. The crazy part is EVEN when she goes where she is suppose to, she trys to either take it and hide it or EAT it!!!! I don't know what to do. I praise her and treat her when she goes on the paper, but i'm not always around to catch it and that's when she does the nasty.:-) When i do catch her in the act of eating it...i don't overly chastize her, but i do take the nasties out of her mouth, and she does know im not happy....I have even resorted to giving her treats when she does it on the paper...ANY suggestions out there????? PLEASE Daisy has opened a special part of my heart and i hate to think that she's going to get sick from this habit.

kaytris
July 1st, 2006, 03:55 PM
Some dogs react this way when they have been corrected too harshly for going in the wrong place - hiding the evidence, in a way. It's also instinct for dogs to keep their den clean, and some dogs just like the taste.

Regardless, I would do a couple of things.

-get rid of the papers/wee pads. I think it is much easier to teach a dog to go outside from the start, rather than training to paper and then outside. (Unless you are in a high rise apartment, or want to litter train her.)

-go back to square one and re-start housetraining. Get her on a consistent schedule for feeding and potty breaks. No free feeding - set specific times for meals. This and constant supervision (crate her when you can't supervise) will get her back on track fairly quickly.

joeysmama
July 1st, 2006, 04:58 PM
Cooper is a 10 month old shih tzu and he's done the same thing. He's getting better, so there's hope. For a while, around the holidays (change in routine, more people in the house) he was slipping off most nights to "make himself a snack." We'd look at each other and say "Where's Cooper?" and then he would come trotting into the room with the evidence on his breath. YUCK !!

We started watching him like a hawk, and making sure we were giving him extra time for poopies at his evening walk. Also, when he's outside and he poops I never give him a chance to check it out. He'd like to stop and investigate his work but as soon as he's done I tug on the leash and distract him from it (talking excitedly, running a bit to the end of the yard to get him interested in something else.)

He's much much better. My husband thinks he had a slip up the other day but still, not like it used to be.

RVT092481
July 1st, 2006, 09:35 PM
I agree with teaching her to go outside instead of on papers. You may have to bring the papers outside at first as well.
You may also want to try ForBid though. It's a powder that you put on their food to make their stools taste bad (like they wouldn't already?!?:yuck: ) It may help, may not. But just a suggestion and probably worth a try.

cdixon101448
July 2nd, 2006, 06:30 AM
Thanks Guys
boy i feel much better knowing i don't have a physo pouch...mind u a slight touched :-)
My sis said she figured that it was aggressive potty training that may have started it also.. reason i praised her for going on the paper and scolded her when she played in it..
I figured i mite have to start from day one again... and yeah i'll try to go rite out side this time...put her papers out there too... neighbours will wonder what that silly old broad is up to now ..he he he..:-)
Where can i get that powder? I live in S.W. Ontario Canada.
thanks again for the replies i greatly appreciate it... so does daisy :-)

Melei'sMom
July 2nd, 2006, 10:13 AM
Be very careful about putting anything in her food to make the poo yucky. What does that chemical do to her while it is passing through?

and some dogs will eat poo even if they haven't had a bad potty experience. Melei will eat hers if given the cahnce, but she will not eat another dog's. Maybe her's is just extra yummy as she is raw fed :)

RVT092481
July 2nd, 2006, 05:36 PM
Any vet clinic should sell the ForBid. Some dogs it works really well and other's it doesn't seem to faze them.

Frenchy
July 2nd, 2006, 07:32 PM
Some dogs eat so fast,the kibble is still intact in their stools and that's why they eat the poop;for the kibble!If that's her problem (eating too fast) you can put her kibble in a large plate instead of a bowl.It will slow her down as she has to eat kibble one by one.

Caite
July 2nd, 2006, 09:19 PM
I have read that feeding the dog a little pineapple will make the stool very unappealing. I have only read this in one or two places, though.

If anyone can confirm or deny this, please let me know.

MIA
July 5th, 2006, 12:01 AM
Having rescued MinPins for many years I have LOTS of experience with stubborn dogs who rather pee in the house! LOL

I find the BEST technique is to tie the dog to you for at least a month! If you can't watch the dog put it in a crate or pen. I have had a dog here for 5 days and she's already going outside, whereas before she was going wherever and on pee pee pads!

Get a leash and clip the dog to your waist, this will work I promise. Remember LOTS of praise when they go outside, even special treats if you must, they will catch on. All my dogs are now trained to go on command and this is the technique I used. :thumbs up