Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

First time user

Heather Porter
July 1st, 2006, 11:26 AM
I am an animal lover for 60 years. I own six cats all saved from various places. I also feed our local feral jetty cats as we live on the ocean. I have started trapping adult cats and getting them spayed or neutered with the help of our local Humane Society. I have brought home two sets of kittens totalling five that were around four to five weeks old. I wanted to get them out of the rocks before they became more victims at the jetty. I have been trying to tame them to make them food pets for an owner if I can possibly fine some. They do not scratch me but are very shy and hide at the slightest noise. I have started them off in a closed bathroom and gradually turned a low radio on for some kind of noise. I have had some for several weeks and they still hide when I open the door. I even left a door open with a fireplace screen covering the entrance so they could hear different noises and voices. Has anyone any ideas on how to "un-feral" these kittens.? They are really cute and love to play, They often come up to my hand when I am sitting on the floor playing with them and smell my hand. I am also feeding them dry kitten food and another concoction I always use which is actually dry baby cereal with warm water and a little taste of canned food. They often have diaherria even after they were wormed. Not quite sure what is the healthiest food for them. Can anyone help me.

jesse's mommy
July 1st, 2006, 03:18 PM
Hi there. I don't have much advice for you since I'm more of a dog person and don't have too much experience with cats, but I did want to welcome you to the forum and thank you for helping and saving all these furbabies. Stick around I'm sure you will get plenty of advice from everyone here. Also, we love pictures so any pictures you have we would love to oooo and ahhhh them. :D

chico2
July 1st, 2006, 04:24 PM
Heather,thank you for doing what you are doing,I too love all animals but cats especially.:love:
I have no advice to give on feral kittens,but there are people here who know.
You just have to wait a day or so,it's Canada Day here and many people are celebrating,so please stick around and you'll get plenty of answers:pawprint:
Oh yes,WELCOME to the Forum!!!

bid
July 3rd, 2006, 06:48 AM
Hi, Heather,
When I look after tiny kittens I feed them pate-type canned food, usually chicken, mixed with warm evaportated (canned) milk, diluted half and half with warm water, and add about two teaspoons of white corn syrup per cupful. The corn syrup keeps them from getting diarrhea and they like it. They seem to thrive on it.
You are doing a wonderful thing to look after these poor little ferals and help them to lead a natural life without multiplying.
We have three colonies of ferals in the small city near where I live. Each is looked after by good citizens like you, who trap them so they can be altered, set them free again, and provide them with food, given by the local shelter, so they don't have to hunt and aren't plagued by predators, worms, and so on.
You are an Angel! :angel:
Bid