Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

training collars?

Heather MH
January 14th, 2004, 03:14 PM
I just want to know what you opinions are on training collar?

I was in a pet store one day making a comment to my friend about how awful the training collars with the spikes are. Another shopper came and gave me a huge speal about how effect they are and that they are much less harmful then the traditional choke collars. I don't know, I'm still skeptical.:confused: What do you think the most effective is?

I do understand they have to be used properly which ever you use.

RDM
January 14th, 2004, 03:26 PM
I would vote for a prong (or pinch) collar over a choke chain any day. I even prefer them to Halties and GLs myself, especially for sight-oriented breeds. I have found that GLs make aggressive border collies worse, but I have been very successful with using prongs collars to train both heeling and to deter other behaviours, like lunging.

A prong is a very effective tool if used correctly and fitted correctly. Most people do not know how to use a choke chain properly, resulting in damage to the dog and ineffectual training. Prongs can be self correcting, so they may LOOK mean but they are actually fairly benign as far as training tools go. I would rather see someone use a prong that yanking on a choke chain improperly.

RDM

Carina
January 14th, 2004, 04:01 PM
Oh, ditto on the prong collars! Though I wouldn't use one on a dog under 6 months old. They're not necessary for all dogs, but can be a wonderful tool for some dogs, for sure.

And they are not mean at all. Mean is giving many nagging ineffective corrections and winding up with a dog who needs serious attitude readjustment later on; that's just not fair to the dog. And mean is also not training a dog, allowing it to rule the roost, then giving up and dumping the poor thing at the pound when it's done nothing at all wrong.

I am NOT saying you will do this Heather! You're obviously very committed and caring. But winding up with an unmanageable dog often ends in a one way trip to the pound, :( and there's plenty of other people who do this. :mad:

Here's a great info site on prong collars:
http://www.cobankopegi.com/prong.html
The snug fit is actually most comfortable for the dog. Dutch (105lbs of pure determined muscle!) wears his whenever I anrticipate distractions on our walks. He just lights up with anticipation when he sees it because it means walkies. :)

Heather MH
January 14th, 2004, 04:27 PM
OK Ladies - I am convinced, this is exactly what the lady in the pet store told me. I have a feeling Daisy (one of the two 5 month old BC I have at home) may need this but I will follow your instructions and not try until she is atleast 6 months old. Or maybe even a little longer she is very petite, heathly and proportionate but petite.

Thanks

RDM
January 14th, 2004, 04:37 PM
Petite doesn't mean they can't pull. I have a 14 month old border collie bitch who weighs in at a petite 27 lbs and she can pull like a sled dog. Border collies are very "purposeful" walkers - they want to get where they are going as meaningully as possible. They can be a challenge to train to heel and walk nicely on a lead. I use a prong for my little nasty and it does wonders for our outings.

RDM

Heather MH
January 14th, 2004, 04:46 PM
little nasty? Come on you love her tons don't you ? LOL:D

I don't think Daisy will get much bigger then yours. She is currently 21 pounds and doesn't grow very fast about 2 pounds a month. Whereas her brother is 34 pounds.

Meaningful walks!!! I always get a chuckle out of Chevy because thats what he does, head held high, straight line, directly beside Chris. I think it is so cute!!:)

marko
January 15th, 2004, 08:10 AM
New article just went up on head halters - a great training tool. It might well be exactly what you are looking for.

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-doghalter.htm

Heather MH
January 15th, 2004, 09:54 AM
Thanks - That is a really good article. I will definatley look into them.