Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dogs and pool question

Frenchy
June 30th, 2006, 05:18 PM
I got a new foster this morning and she is soooo cool! I don't think any dog ever made me laugh like she does,she is absolutly :crazy: and cute and adorable.Anyway,she is always is the doggy pool,everytime we go in the yard,she goes in and splashes all around having fun.I have never dealt with hot spot (my dogs only goes in the lake at my sister's place,wich is not often) and will like to AVOID them!Is there any way I could do something to help prevent it?Like changing the water frequently?I dry her with a towell but she is still a little wet and we do go outside many times a day.Any suggestions? I'll try to post a picture of her if I can get the program for my camera to work.So don't hold you breath!

Prin
June 30th, 2006, 08:42 PM
I think the only way is to hose her off after so that any water left on her is clean water (not too many bacteria) and then towel dry her as best you can... I think blow drying will dry out the fur and skin too much if you do it often...

coppperbelle
July 1st, 2006, 07:47 AM
Frenchy
I didn't know you were getting a foster. How old is she and what is she like? I have a family in the Toronto area that is looking for an under 2 year old female. Great home, mom is off all summer and the dog will go to work with dad every day.

As for the hot spots, Chloe and Hunter are in and out of the water all day. The only time it becomes a problem is when they don't have time to dry before bedtime.

Frenchy
July 1st, 2006, 10:53 AM
I think if I towell dry each time I will run out of towells!But I will change the pool water often.Coppperbelle;Mika is 5 yr old,extremely sweet,owners said she was afraid of cats and dogs,not at all!She even played with Sam this morning.She acts and looks (60 pounds) like a puppy,but I have the best of both worlds with her because she knows when to stop.I had to wash my face many times yesterday,she's a licker and will jump to lick your face as soon as you bent down.:crazy: So not good with small kids.Why do I already have 3 dogs....

PetFriendly
July 1st, 2006, 12:39 PM
I think that if you change the water every second day or so there shouldn't be a problem with hot spots, provided she isn't prone to having them in the first place. My Mom's golden is 9, he has a kiddie wading pool he spends most of the summer in, he plays in creeks and ditches and hasn't had a problem yet. Mom doesn't even dry him come to think of it, he just rolls around in the grass to get most of the gunk and water out of his fur and its never been a problem.