Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog won't eat - newly rescued

Aeronsmom
June 30th, 2006, 04:10 PM
I just adopted a Beautiful German Sheppard Dog from a foster dad.
I got her on June 24th. the day she was here she ate (Sunday) but since then she will not eat...I mean she eats very little, she is a big girl and she is underweight to begin with. she is eating the same food that was given to me by her foster dad..I know that she is REALLY missing her foster dad. what can I do to help her??? what can I do to get her to eat? I have a 2 week trial with her and I already LOVE her so much and am afraid I may have to give her back to her foster dad..Please HELP!!! any suggestion would be so appreciated.

Ann:sad:

Prin
June 30th, 2006, 08:38 PM
She needs some time to relax. Being that she comes from a fosterhome and who knows how many homes before yours, she probably has a lot of baggage with her. How can she open up to you so fast when everybody else ends up leaving her? You know? Some dogs are just sensitive like that. Sounds like she needs a lot of love.:) Good luck.

kaytris
June 30th, 2006, 11:14 PM
what does the foster dad say? Some dogs have 'eating rituals' that they require before they'll chow down.. some require isolation, some want company, some have a certain bowl or a certain location or a certain condiment that they need.

My older girl sometimes won't eat unless I hand-feed her the first few kibbles, or put a bit of gravy on her kibbles. Parmesan cheese or fresh garlic (not garlic salt) sometimes perks appetite too.

coppperbelle
July 1st, 2006, 07:42 AM
This is very normal for foster dogs. She will begin eating eventually just give her time. You can try adding a bit of something very tasty to the food so that it smells wonderful. I will add a bit of fish oil or sardines. When she does show interest or even eat a few morsels, praise her so that she knows she is pleasing you. In the mean time give her time to adjust, take her for walks and just sit with her on the floor, pet her and talkk soothingly.

OntarioGreys
July 1st, 2006, 05:47 PM
kaytris made good points about eating rituals, I have one that eats only in her hidie spot, my bedroom, and will run away for the dish if I am anywhere near the room, my other dog wonlt eat unless Iam standing right near by the dish and the third will eat anywhere and out of everyones dish if I would let him, many fosters are fed inside crates, so as suggested it may be worth contacting the foster parent to learn how they fed.

I had one foster dog that ate only enough to survive and kept trying to bury the remainder under blankets, after almost 2 weeka of this I decided to give up on the food the adoption agency provided and tried the same food I was feeding my own dogs, from there on in he polished off the food bowl every meal in his case he simply did not like the kibble that he was recieving, thankfully the new adopter had already been researching what food they wanted to feed and was wanting to switch to the same food even though it costed more.