Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I Found a Bird..What to do?

Mahealani770
June 30th, 2006, 10:09 AM
I walked out to my car yesterday on my lunch hour and I found a bird walking in the grass. I was surprised that it didn't fly away as birds usually do. Then I noticed that the bird was small, but not sure if it was a baby. I don't know if the bird was hurt, or lost, or what but I wanted so badly to scoop it up and take care of it. I wasn't sure what to do and I have heard that you're supposed to leave birds alone when you find them. I was not near a vet and only had a short amount of time on my lunch break. It broke my heart to leave the bird out there near the parking lot, but I had no idea what to do. I thought about it while I was gone and looked for it when I got back, but it was gone. So my question is, what do you do when you find a bird that looks to be lost?

jessi76
June 30th, 2006, 10:38 AM
despite my mom's rule of "no wild animals in the house"... we took care of a couple that came our way when I was younger. one found hanging upside down in a tree w/ a hurt leg... and one baby found in the street (couldn't fly). we've fed them, canned dog food & even applesauce at our vet's recommendation, and once healthy & strong enough to go, off they went. I'm not sure what I'd do now, but when I was younger, I wanted to help them all.

pamha
June 30th, 2006, 06:00 PM
I`ve read that if the youngling is fully fledged (looks like it should be able to fly) the best thing to do is try to find a safe place for it, like in a bush, so the parents can feed it until its able to fly. If it doesn`t have feathers, there isn`t a lot you can do, trying to feed it *might* work, it never has for me, but I`ve heard of people who`ve done it, but in most cases it will die anyway. If its obviously injured, you can try and keep it safe or call a wildlife rehab place if there is any in your area. We successfully rehabbed a pigeon with an injured wing a couple of years ago, but all we did was keep it safe in the garage with bird feed & water until it was healed.

Its hard to resist the urge to do something, but these days I try to limit getting involved to putting it in a reasonable safe spot nearby.

Mahealani770
June 30th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Thank you so much for your advice everyone. With my urges to save wild animals and strays, I feel like I should be driving around with an extra kennel and an incubator in the back of my truck..lol

Its hard to resist the urge to do something, but these days I try to limit getting involved to putting it in a reasonable safe spot nearby.

So true! I try to resist getting involved but when I ignore things I see..it sticks with me :( . So, thanks for your advice and input.

joeysmama
June 30th, 2006, 08:20 PM
We had a little bird hopping around the yard one day but not seeming to want to fly away from us. I can't remember what agency I called. It wasn't animal control but it was a wildlife number. I'm sorry, this was a number of years ago. They told me that sometimes the parents are watching the bird and giving it a chance to fly. Something like that, I can't recall exactly, but they said if it didn't appear to be hurt we could just check to see i it was there in a bit. It wasn't there and no other animals had come into the yard, so we assumed it left with the mommy or daddy.

My sister in law did take in a robin that was injured and nursed it back to health. It was very cool. He would fly about their house and sit on their shoulders. When he was well he flew away.