Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vacationing in Canada and NE States

Mahealani770
June 30th, 2006, 10:49 AM
Hello all,
I've never been interested in going to Canada before I met all of you..lol..but now my curiosty has been piqued. So, now I need some advice on where to go in Canada, what part to go to, and what to see? What do people do when they vacation in Canada? And where can you stay that it won't cost an arm and a leg, yet is safe?
Also, to all you New Englanders....I've always wanted to go on a tour of the NE states in the fall..how beautiful it must me. I have this fantasy of sitting on or near the beach with a bunch of people at some sort of crab/lobster fest, wearing our most fashionable turtle necks and sipping chowder.
Any suggestions?
Thanks! :crazy:

jessi76
June 30th, 2006, 11:06 AM
What do people do when they vacation in Canada? And where can you stay that it won't cost an arm and a leg, yet is safe?

I'm not from canada, but I went to the falls (canadian side) a couple years ago, and it was FANTASTIC! I highly recommend it. We stayed at the Hilton, and it was great. The whole vacation was great.. .food was great, people were great, attractions were great, weather was great (August)...

Also, to all you New Englanders....I've always wanted to go on a tour of the NE states in the fall..how beautiful it must me. I have this fantasy of sitting on or near the beach with a bunch of people at some sort of crab/lobster fest, wearing our most fashionable turtle necks and sipping chowder.

really depends on what NE state you want to visit. (I'm in Mass) foliage season is truley an amazing spectacle up here (MA, NH, VT & ME)... leaf-peepers come from all over to see it. It's quick though, so plan it right. the timing varies from state to state.

also, if you come to or through Mass, it's "chowdah". ;)

jesse's mommy
June 30th, 2006, 11:10 AM
also, if you come to or through Mass, it's "chowdah". ;)

And Bolki roll, not Kaiser roll! I found that out on my trip to Boston. (Correct my spelling if I'm wrong)

technodoll
June 30th, 2006, 11:15 AM
for pet-friendly places to stay in canada (i assume you're with pet!), try www.petfriendly.ca. for anywhere else, try http://www.petswelcome.com/ or http://www.pettravel.com/ (you americans are so lucky to have so many places to choose from :thumbs up )

if you visit upstate NY or VT, crossing into canada is only a few extra miles away! Montreal, in the summer, is a frenzy of cultural activities... the international jazz fest is on right now, then the just for laughs fest, we have the fireworks competition every weekend, old-montreal is alive with restos, street artists, mini-festivals, etc... and old-quebec is even more spectacular. it's the closest you can get to Europe without leaving the continent :crazy:

jessi76
June 30th, 2006, 11:20 AM
And Bolki roll, not Kaiser roll! I found that out on my trip to Boston. (Correct my spelling if I'm wrong)

LOL.... yes it is.

visiting NY & VT is exactly what we did, we camped all through NY on the way up - went to Niagra - then camped in VT on the way back. was GREAT!

Sunkist/Winnie
June 30th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Well speaking as a East Coaster...you have to come to Nova Scotia (Canada)in the Fall. Mid October and see the show of leaves turning colours.

I think Fall is our best season...not too hot, great for outdoors things.
We are a beautiful Province, fabulous ocean views, beautiful scenery, VERY friendly people.

As you are from Hawaii the ocean might not hold that much allure. But we have theatre, we have museaums, the highest number of bars per capita...not sure if that's something to boast about. You can ride the tidal bore here one day, explore our version of mountains another day.

I think every Province in Canada has it's own unique beauty, and really everyone should visit them all at some point. British Columbia is beautiful, Toronto is full of life. The Yukon was breath taking. Prince Edward Island has red sand beaches! Maybe figure out what kind of vacation you want. A shopping/night life kind of vacation, a nature vacation, or a mix.

Visit http://www.explorenovascotia.com/ to find out more about us and what we have to offer as a vacation destination.

Rick C
June 30th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Funny, I see you're from Atlanta . . . . . Mrs. C and I were vacationing there last November . . . . .

Can't speak for Eastern Canada but a trip to the west . . . . . .

If you were planning this for NEXT summer, you might fly to Vancouver on the Pacific coast, take the Rocky Mountaineer train ride - one of the great train rides in the world - through the Rockies to Calgary in time for a day or two at the Stampede in early July. On a weekend, rent a car and travel across the bounding and vast prairie to Drumheller for the Royal Tyrell Museum of Paleontology in the morning, have brunch in nearby Rosebud (population 93) and then the afternoon matinee of the Rosebud Theatre, then back to Calgary. Things around Calgary would be the Zoo, Heritage Park, Millarville Farmers Market on a Saturday morning (ten minutes from my house) and other things. Then head to the mountains to places like Banff, Lake Louise then up to Jasper via the Columbia Icefields (Lake Louise and the highway to Jasper are designated United Nations World Heritage Sites). Then, if you're so inclined, you might enjoy the mountainous drive back to Vancouver via McBride, the David Thompson Highway down to Kamloops, then the Coqhuilla Highway to Hope and into Vancouver. Or keep going south into the orchards and lakes of the Okanagon valley and then off to Vancouver.

Lots of diversions from an itinerary like that . . . . . a Kananaskis Country driving loop from Calgary via Longview and then into the mountains . . . . . Kananaskis Village is where the G-8 summit with GWBush and other world leaders was held a few years ago . . . . . . going into southwestern Alberta to Waterton Lakes, the Going To The Sun Highway just across the border in Montana, Frank Slide (a monumental spectacle of half a mountain sliding across a valley) . . . . . Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump near Fort MacLeod is a fascinating place. The Cyprus Hills in southeastern Alberta is a wonderful, grassy, barren kind of place.

Rent Open Range, Brokeback Mountain, Shanghai Noon, or Legends of the Fall for a look at the scenery in the Calgary area . . . . Robert Duvall's new mini-series mentioned in People Magazine this week was filmed here. Brad Pitt's upcoming Jesse James movie was also filmed here last summer.

The back side of Lake Louise . . . .

http://www.goldentales.ca/P1110341_edited-1.jpg

The Chateau Lake Louise, a grand old Canadian Pacific railway hotel, with Skiing Louise, one of the longest vertical drop ski hills in the world, across the valley behind it . . . . .

http://www.goldentales.ca/14460063_edited-1.jpg

For amusement, old men torturing young boys in a barbershop in Dahlonega, Georgia last November . . . . .

http://www.goldentales.ca/P1120891_edited-1.jpg

Other Calgary area images at www.goldentales.ca/new.htm

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

CyberKitten
June 30th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Since I am from the Maritimes - but love all of Canada - I recommend visiting our region (surprise, lol). Seriously, any part of Canada is fun to visit. I have spent much time in the southern US (not so much Atlanta tho - mostly Fla and La) but I've lived in Boston and Vermont. Both of these places are very similar to where I live - in architecture, friendly people and beautiful views and lots to do!

Halifax has much to offer - it is a city that has a Maritime flavour so you have the amenities without the coldness sometimes one associates with a city. It is more expensive than the rest of Nova Scotia but there are some great things to see there - the Titanic history alone would take a day or more. Peggy's Cove and other rocky villages, attend a lobster dinner (unless you are a vegetarian that is), www.novascotia.com has much more info.

NB is also a fun place to visit. Beautiful scenery - lots to do. The lobster festival is in late July (Shediac area) and northern NB has salmon fishing and sailing and "the warmest beaches north of Virgina". Visit www.gnb.ca and look for tourism.

PEI has Green Gables, Confederation Centre (great theatre tho there is also wonderful theatre in the other prov too). Wonderful beaches.

If you come via Boston, you can take I95 to Maine and from Bar Harbour, take what we call the "Cat", a fast ferry that arrives in Yarmouth, NS. If you keep going on 95, you can cross at Houlton, Me to Woodstock, NB.

Lodgings can be expensive but if you want to save money, we have many universities who offer summer accomodation. There are also smaller motels and cabins. In downtown Hfx, O'Brien Hall at Dal offers a great deal for visitors and I know ppl who have come from Europe often stay there - it is right in the heart of the city and even has phones in the rooms. All for maybe $40 a night - and keep in mind the US dollar is worth more (tho less so than before) than the US currency so your dollar will go further.

Good luck!

Mahealani770
June 30th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Wow! Thank you all so much for the huge amount of information. I really appreciate you all taking the time to type all of that and to even include pictures! My head is spinning with all that info! lol
Everytime I hear or see "Nova Scotia", it sounds like a far away country..lol I'll let you all know what we decide!
Thanks again,
Mahealani

Prin
June 30th, 2006, 01:52 PM
I'm from the Eastish (more like the middle) and I say #1 is Banff (what RickC posted). You can't beat Banff. You just can't (unless you go to Jasper). :D
#2 is Montreal because of the way the people are- the Jazz fest just started here... It's huge! And only 20ish hours of driving away!
#3 is PEI. Everybody has to go to PEI! The red sand, the warmish ocean...
#4 is Newfoundland... The people, the scenery...

This is PEI:

meggie1425
June 30th, 2006, 02:04 PM
I live in Ontario and personally find it very boring here(but i guess thats what happens when you've lived in the same place your whole life:rolleyes: )
My favourite vaction of ALL time (even outside of canada) was to Newfoundland. Its SSOOOO beautiful, the people are so friendly, and the air is so fresh... i would definetly recommend going there as a vacation. I also hear British Columbia is very beautiful, ive never been but i plan on going sometime...

Rick C
June 30th, 2006, 03:01 PM
I live in Ontario and personally find it very boring here(but i guess thats what happens when you've lived in the same place your whole life:rolleyes: )
My favourite vaction of ALL time (even outside of canada) was to Newfoundland. Its SSOOOO beautiful, the people are so friendly, and the air is so fresh... i would definetly recommend going there as a vacation. I also hear British Columbia is very beautiful, ive never been but i plan on going sometime...

Mrs. C and I will be flying to Victoria BC and taking a week for touring Vancouver Island at the end of August . . . . . going out to Long Beach and Tofino and probably taking the ferry over to Saltspring Island and the like.

A Vancouver Island link:

http://www.westerncanadatravel.com/british.columbia.vancouver.island.htm

And a nice picture of the west coast of Vancouver Island . . . .

http://www.island.net/~tofino/indexpic.jpg

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Mahealani770
June 30th, 2006, 03:46 PM
OMG! That picture is BREATHTAKING!! I'm so excited, yet so overwhelmed with options:confused: :)

Puppyluv
June 30th, 2006, 04:12 PM
I think Rick's suggestion is the best! The West Coat and the Rockies are amazing (I'm originally from the West, and while I love Montreal, it's just not the same). Are the pets joining you? How outdoorsy are you? Vancouver Island is a great place to go adventuring. My cousin married into the family that runs a Lodge on the Island, and while there are many places out there, this site gives you an idea of the scenery and the activities: http://www.strathcona.bc.ca/
In the Rockies, I would bypass Banff and opt for a less touristy area. Even Lake Louise is less crowded. I would reccomend Fernie, Inveremere/Panorama, kimberly, Radium, and Golden (all in BC) and then Jasper and Lake Louise in Alberta. http://www.bcrockies.worldweb.com/
The Calgary Stampede is a must, and absolute must!!! People who have not experienced it are missing out!

In the east, I would say go to Montreal for the culture, Quebec City for the austerity, and Nova Scotia for the coast line. Start in Montreal, rent a car, drive to QC, then drive up the south shore to the Gaspe. Spend some time around there (Perce rock is pretty neat) then keep going through New Brunswich and over to NS.

meb999
June 30th, 2006, 08:19 PM
I agree Banff is pretty much unbeatable...althought Montreal IS pretty awesome. I guess I take it for granted having grown up here, but I really realised what a treasure Montreal is when I started working in a restaurant in the Old Port and started talking to tourists. That's when I started visiting the sites...Montreal is full of history, museums, galleries, and...shopping!!

I went to Niagra falls last weekend and that was awesome too. I didn't expect much (how exciting can a waterfall be?) but was surprised by the grandure of it. It's so loud that it makes your insides shake. Loved it.

oooooo...I just thought of something else Montreal has to offer : SYDNEY!! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=258251#post258251)

meb999
June 30th, 2006, 08:21 PM
In the east, I would say go to Montreal for the culture, Quebec City for the austerity, and Nova Scotia for the coast line. Start in Montreal, rent a car, drive to QC, then drive up the south shore to the Gaspe. Spend some time around there (Perce rock is pretty neat) then keep going through New Brunswich and over to NS.

Wow! Now THAT sounds like an AWESOME trip!!

Puppyluv...you are now my official trip planner :D

Prin
June 30th, 2006, 08:35 PM
A lot of driving though. Nova Scotia is about 16 hours from Montreal... Cape Breton is 20... PEI is 12... Banff is 48...:D

Rick I had forgotten about Tofino! I went there when I was pretty young. I just remember the beach and the nanaimo bars... mmmm

CyberKitten
June 30th, 2006, 10:21 PM
It takes me 13 hrs (and most ppl I know) to drive from the NS border to Mtl - about 8 hrs from Mtl to NB and 5 to Amherst. It is another 3 or so to Hfx but can be done in 2 1/2. Maybe you just nake more stops Prin :)

Then again, I've made Toronto in 11 hrs from northern NB. I prefer to fly now tho, lol

I find almost no difference between NS and Nfld- any of the Atlantic provinces really. Nfld is fun - tho I do not recommend Labrador City in Dec- once had to do a lecture there and it was -30 with the wind chill. The ppl more than made up for that tho. They had this drink - screech, orange juice and Grand Marnier and I am so NOT a drinker, it was amazing, lol (cannot recall its name). Screech ins are fun in Nfld as are the pubs on George St.

It all depends on what one is looking for. I look for history and scenery and polite kind people - random acts of kindness if you will. (I have found that in spades btw in the southern US and New England as well).

And NS is not that far from Ga. My parents winter in the Tampa Bay area of Fla and they make it in 3 days - they have it down to a science. I95 in Maine and then to 90 in Mass, 81 or 83 (forget just now) thru NY (Newburgh), Conn (Hartford), Pa, West Va, Va and then thru the famous route 66 which passes that famous Battle area from the US Civil War - Manassas - and then back to 95 thru Va, the Carolinas, Ga and to I10 in Fla and then I75.They usually spend the 2nd night just outside Fredericksburg, Va.

Since you are in Atlanta, you'd have to leave from a different way but 75 brings you thru Pa and Gettysburgh (I was v. interested in those battles sites, does it show, lol?)

I'd be remiss if I did not include a few photos:

Peggy's Cove and St. Margaret's Bay area:
http://www.peggyscove.net/pages/bay_view_lg.jpg

Another lighthouse:
http://mishuna.image.pbase.com/u15/mcveed/large/7676920.NS6copy.jpg

Sunset in Boutouche, N-B

http://mk23.image.pbase.com/u15/mcveed/large/7676807.NB1copy.jpg

Cabot Trail in Cape Breton

http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/Travel/Maritime_Provinces/cape_breton/P9140019.JPG

Hopewell Rocks in NB

http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/Travel/Maritime_Provinces/new_brunswick_to_nova_scotia/Picture%20029.jpg

Halifax Dock side (No, it's not the Bluenose)

http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/Travel/Maritime_Provinces/halifax_and_west/P9120008_ship_silvia.JPG

The Bluenose:

http://museum.gov.ns.ca/bluenose/recent_photos.html

Prin
June 30th, 2006, 10:54 PM
It takes me 13 hrs (and most ppl I know) to drive from the NS border to Mtl - about 8 hrs from Mtl to NB and 5 to Amherst. It is another 3 or so to Hfx but can be done in 2 1/2. Maybe you just nake more stops Prin :)
Ain't much happening at the border... lol you're still 3 hours from the ocean.:D

But coming up from atlanta, there is the ferry to Yarmouth from Bar Harbor... That might cut down the trip length to NS.

PEDPA
June 30th, 2006, 11:35 PM
If you decide to go to British Columbia ... definately worth it ! You need to go to Vanvouver Island and Victoria! It's like alice in wonderland... everything is HUGE! BUT B.C is not a goo dwinter place.. it just rains and rains and rains... deinately a summer place! The seals play on the shore lines .. the people are super friendly and the Customer service everywhere is impecable! I lived there a year and just to be a waitress you had to get soooo many certificates and training in all sorts of things before they'd look at you.

If you are looking Ontarioish ...... You MUST visit Picton and Prince Edward County! There are beaches EVERYWHERE!!!!!! Google the Sandbanks .... it's a beach known from Montreal to Toronto! Gorgeous! AND Prince Edward COunty is now a hustling and bustling new Wine Region. 13 Wineries and over 50 vineyards have popped up here in the last 2 years. Doing a wine tour to them all is definately a must! Mind you buy the end.. you've sampled soo much you forget the experience HAHA! I can tell you lots more if you'd like .... and of course since it's a new wine region and we have the Sandbanks.... accomodations are popping up EVERYWHERE!!! and in goo dbusiness sense of course ... everyone tries to undercut the others with costs. But if you wants beaches and lobster ... come here.. or the east coast of course!

Good luck hunting and of course google the sandbanks... or even Prince Edward COunty to get the whole feel!

Puppyluv
July 1st, 2006, 04:18 AM
A lot of driving though. Nova Scotia is about 16 hours from Montreal... Cape Breton is 20... PEI is 12... Banff is 48...:D

True, but you're not doing one long haul. One day you drive from Mtrl to QC, spend a few days there, then drive to the Gaspe, spend a few days there, drive to NB, spend a few days there, drive to NS. No day is more than 6-7hrs driving, even if you take your time.

chico2
July 1st, 2006, 08:06 AM
I live in Ontario,but cannot remember many sites of interest:sad: other than Niagara Falls,pretty sad..
However,I LOVED Nova Scotia,Newfoundland,LOVED Ouebec,Montreal,Quebec City..out West,I've only been to Calgary and surrounding area.
Never been to Banff,but have been told,it's extreemly expensive!
Be aware,if you stay in half decent hotels,it is expensive,IMO.
We go to South Carolina yearly and prices in the US-south are much cheaper.

OntarioGreys
July 2nd, 2006, 04:13 AM
I will offer Ontario, it has a lot to offer, the northern half has remained pretty much pristine wilderness
which is where my vacations were mostly spent and I lived 2 years on the French River
this is Ontario to me
amazing and spectular sunsets
http://www.bryerlodge.com/_borders/FrenchRiver_small.jpg
http://www.omoa.com/photos_destination_guide/muskoka-2006-6.jpg

waking to the haunting call of the loon in the morning or take an early morning driving along the highways to see sights like this
http://www3.sympatico.ca/lcaudle/travel/algonquin/misty_morning.jpg

It has a rugged but peaceful beauty
http://www.dominik.ca/media/photography/french_river/images/1.jpg

Some Pictures from Niagara Falls

http://www.galenfrysinger.com/niagara_falls_ontario.htm
I love nature and wilderness and that is what I find beautiful about Northern Ontarioin particular

Some of the Waterfalls that can be found around Lake Superior

http://www.gowaterfalling.com/waterfalls/superiortour.shtml

It depends on what your idea of a holiday is

you could take a cruise, there are several in Ontario

this is the island queen cruise of the 30,000 islands on Georgian bay

http://www.island-queen.com/images/hitwLarge.jpg

Do you want to rent a place that is tame and has nearby entertainment like cinema museums, horseback riding gold and live theatre but has hiking and wilderness there is collingwoods blue Mountain in winter a ski resort
http://www.vrbo.com/73695 or maybe a little less tame

http://www.vrbo.com/11838

Love the outdoors and want privacy and be surrounded by nature
you could rent a cottage

http://www.atthecottage.com/vacation-rentals.html

Do you enjoy live theater than stratford would be ideal

http://www.stratford-festival.on.ca/
It a very picturesque little city
http://www.sentex.net/~lwr/shortcut.html

Many of the bed and breakfasts accomodations welcome pets
http://www.bedsandbreakfasts.ca/stratford.htm

Here is the torontovisitor guide if you enjoy big city life

http://www.torontotourism.com/Visitor

And here is the Ontario travel guide
http://www.ontariotravel.net/TcisCtrl?site=consumers&key1=home&language=EN

Maybe you would love a train tour

Agawa Canyon train tour

http://www.agawacanyontraintourpackages.com/moreagawapics.html

Then there is Ottawa the capital city of Canada,
you have history
you can watch the changing of the guard on parliment hill, the pomp and pagentry can make you feel like you are in england
http://www.ottawatourism.ca/_images/pictures/bigPics/guards543x140.jpg
Art - the national Gallery of Canada
Museum(A huge four-story bunker, buried deep underground and was meant to house Canadian government and military in a nuclear war) - the Canadian Museum of Civilization, the Diefenbunker cold war museum, the museum of anture, the outdoor markets, the rideau canal and locks
RCMP Musical Ride Centre (A visit to the RCMP Rockcliffe Stables brings you up close to the famous red-coated Canadian Mounties and their graceful four-legged mounts. After meeting the horses, you can visit the farrier station and walk through the tack room. The riding school provides a closer look at the challenging choreography the Mounties must master. You can also see the stately carriages that are used in royal escorts when the Queen visits Canada. The Musical Ride is a sight to behold, featuring choreographed demonstrations to music complete with lances and pennons.) there are 2 provincial parks nearby offering hiking fishing and swimming, with rentals of canoes, one includes tents and barbeque rentals.

Pets are welcome at provincial and National parks in Ontario. many motels, and some cottages and bed and breakfasts, Toronto has several dogs parks, some of the fenced in ones are 20 acres and there leash free areas along some beaches along the lakeshore that even come with poop bag stations

chico2
July 2nd, 2006, 07:18 AM
OG's,you put me to shame:( of course there are many beautiful places in Ontario,as there is in every province.
It all depends on what you like,I was mostly thinking of specific tourist-attractions.
I love to hear the Loon on a beautiful summer-night by the lake,unfortunately the last time we spent a week in Muskoka,I was half eaten by Black-flies and skiters:D

Mahealani770
July 2nd, 2006, 11:02 AM
Wow, I thank you all so very, very much for putting so much effort into helping me and giving me all this information. My partner is standing behind me, looking at all these awesome pictures, yelling, "Let's move to Canada!"
"We can get married there!" lol
So we have a lot of info from all of you to look over, and we definitely appreciate it. Hell, who needs a tour guide office when we have pets.ca! lol

Prin
July 2nd, 2006, 12:00 PM
ooo are we invited to the wedding?! :)

That's one thing I love about being in Montreal- we're almost in the middle, so you can drive for hours in any direction. When I was in Whistler, I got a bit claustrophobic because you could only go north or south...:o

For sure Ontario has something to see, but I think for Qcers and people from Ontario (ontarians?) are so used to seeing that sort of landscape that it's harder to recommend it... I mean, driving from Montreal to BC with 18 hours of the same till you get to the prairies is so boring to me.:D But the Japanese exchange students we had when I was younger were amazed at how dense and vast the forests here are- so there's definitely something there...

CyberKitten
July 2nd, 2006, 01:11 PM
Ohhhh, a wedding in Niagra Falls??? I want to come. :)

I even have relatives there!! It is a beautiful place - most of Canada is when you come right down to it. And there are some breathtaking places in the US too - I personally love Washington and Idaho - lots of mountains, lakes, wonderful scenery!! I even did not mind all those ferries to get to Port Angeles, lol tho my cousins who live there curse them on occasion. The same is true of BC tho I suppose. (and I have a good friend who lives on the Sunshine Coast and she LOVES it).

I agree with Chico re prices of hotels in the US. It has been my experience that the further south you go, the cheaper the prices for hotels are. The 1st time my family went to Fla for Xmas - my family being part Jewish and part Catholic and my mom a teacher - wanted to get out of the area for the season. So we drove Fla and did this for many yrs. We became accustomed to that South of the Border place (Pedro et al, lol), the 4 for $1 hamburgers (when I still actually ate beef), the wonderful ppl in Ga who'd say' "Y'all have a merry Christmas now, y'hear" - she was "precious".) On the 1st trip, 95 was not quite completed thru Ga (tho it was in Fla) and we saw another side of the state that taught me more than any history book about civil rights. (I get emotional about stuff like that - cried when Rosa Parks died). We were also naieve enough back then to go straight thru 95!!! (ie thru the George Washington bridge in NYC, the Jersey turnpike, Philadelpgia, Washington, well you get the idea, lol). Once, my dad ended up in downtown Manhattan - we still tease him about that.

On another occasion, he managed to be going around in circles in upstate NY and stopped to ask for directions. The individual asked very seriosuly "do you know where the fire hall is?". My dad quipped back "Do you know where the fiore hall is in ____ NB?". I still laugh to myself about that. The person did laugh too and said "I see your point", lol

Since my sisters and I were little, we also discovered fireworks were legal in the Carolinas but not Ga and came home (cross the Me-NB border) with all kinds of them - would not happen today I can tell you. Not sure that is still the law but for a few yrs, I had a shoebox full of fireworks my parents never knew about, silly kid! I could regal with more border stories - ppl who live close to the border smuggle everything, lol - (I do not mean anything serious, just silly stuff) but this is about Canada!!!!

There is a song by the Arragant Worms (comedy singing group) called "Canada is a Really Big Country" and it is, there is soooooooo much to see!!!!

chico2
July 2nd, 2006, 04:23 PM
C-K,we stay at a great beach-front hotel in South Carolina,get a suite,1-bedroom,kitchen and livingroom,beachfront for $60 US,we've been going there for 15 yrs each fall and I LOVE the people,the southern accent is adorable.The drive down,through Pennsylvania,Virginia,West Virginia,North Carolina is beautiful,except for the hundreds of dead animals,mostly deer on the road:sad:
We stayed at Sheridan/Niagara Ontario,overlooking the falls for 2 nights(to get away from the kids)at one time,
at $160/night and that was just a room.I don't even want to mention how much we paid in Muskoka for a week:eek:

OntarioGreys
July 2nd, 2006, 04:25 PM
Niagara Falls is beautiful place to get married lots to do and lots to see, and stunning scenic nature hikes in nearby Niagara Glen. http://www.calanan.com/Hiking/OntarioCanada/NiagaraGlen/MothersDay13May2001/

Marriage applications for Ontario is available online
http://www.niagaraweddinghelper.com/marriagelicence.htm

Here is some FAQ's with regards to marriage licences http://www.niagarafalls.ca/city_hall/departments/clerks/marriage_licences/marriage_faq.asp

The wedding Company can help do the arranging of the wedding for you
http://www.infoniagara.com/services/weddings/wedding_company/index.html

If you want to keep the marriage very simple it could be at the court house
by a justice of the Peace
Niagara Falls Court Office (map)
4635 Queen Street, P.O. Box 840
Niagara Falls, ON
L2E 6V6
Tel: 905-371-8988 or 1-866-278-8303
Fax: 905-371-9855
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Justices of the Peace available Tuesday 10:30 am - 12:00 noon and 1:30 pm - 4:00 pm

This link appears a bit out of date due to the price but has some good info on locations to get married or for photos http://www.foundlocally.com/Niagara/Personal/Goods-Weddings.htm

,a google search may help you see what they look like

for example the carousel is an anitique merry go round
http://www.brandijasmine.com/carousel/canada/ontario/pdc/pdc.html

niagara falls in photos 254 pages worth
http://search.pbase.com/search?q=niagara+falls&b=Search+Photos&c=sp

Stacer
July 2nd, 2006, 07:49 PM
Here's another plug for ontario. Outside of Toronto (Canada's most lively city!;)), anywhere north is good. Head straight up hwy 400 and you hit a plethora of awesome places. If you like the outdoors your options are endless. You can hit Georgian Bay, lots of B&Bs to stay in, follow the shore all the way up the Bruce Pennisula into the National Park, do some camping and maybe some scuba diving in Canada's only National Marine Park. Or keep going up the 400 until it turns into Hwy 11 and you hit the Muskoka Region of Ontario, possibly the most beautiful area of the province. The land of lakes, tiny lakes dot the entire area for hundreds of miles, with great towns along the way (don't forget to stop at Walter Page's Muskoka store on your way up north). Maybe stop in Huntsville, eat lunch on the river. Keep going north and stay a long while in Algonquin Provincial Park, here you have your choice of back country camping/canoeing, car camping or staying at any of the number of rustic resorts within the park. The scenery can't be beat. Windswept pines, and gorgeous sunsets. A lonely loons calls in the distance, a moose is standing in the shallows munching his last meal of the day and maybe you hear some wolves howling once the sun sets completely. Northern and Near Northern Ontario can't be beat.

Prin
July 2nd, 2006, 09:51 PM
What the hey! When this thread started, I never thought that plugs for Ontario would beat everywhere else...:eek:

Oh, ya, well, in the Rockies, you can walk on glaciers and their lakes are turquoise. And there are elk everywhere.

And in Montreal, the night life is killer and we have the "joie de vivre" (and REAL poutine!).

jesse's mommy
July 2nd, 2006, 09:59 PM
You know, not all of us can speak French! What's "joie de vivre"? We need some translations for all us one language speaking folk....:D

Prin
July 2nd, 2006, 10:02 PM
Um.. English people say it too... That's why I thought you knew...
"Joy of living"? Or maybe a sort of lust for life.:o

jesse's mommy
July 2nd, 2006, 10:05 PM
Not in my neck of the woods. I've heard carpe diem, but not joie de vivre. I wouldn't even know how to start to say it. :o I took Spanish in school. :cool:

Prin
July 2nd, 2006, 10:06 PM
joa de veever.:D (how to say it...)
or veevre

jesse's mommy
July 2nd, 2006, 10:09 PM
I'll start practicing right now. :D

is de pronounced day or dee? I'm all about phonics.

Prin
July 2nd, 2006, 10:34 PM
more like deh...

CyberKitten
July 2nd, 2006, 10:58 PM
Joie de vie - joy of life! That's how we say it all the time here - both Anglophones and Francophones. It means having a good time, enjoying life! And yes, Mtl has it in spades - so does the Maritimes. :)

Mahealani770
July 3rd, 2006, 08:41 AM
OG- Thanks for all those helpful links. It is legal for same sex marriages up there, correct? Anybody who would like to come to our "wedding" is most welcome! We attended a commitment ceremony here in Altanta 2 weekends ago, but there will be a bigger, more 'wedding-ish' like ceremony next year some time, for our families.
Thanks for all the info guys! We really appreciate it!
M

Stacer
July 3rd, 2006, 09:08 AM
It is 100% legal. You just missed the huge gay pride week here in Toronto, it was capped off last weekend with the Dyke March and the Gay Pride parade. I try to attend the parade every year, it's always an awesome time. There were over 1 million people in attendance this year, wow. And just this past week 2 of our Royal Canadian Mounted Police officers (men) got married in full uniform. Better come up and do it before the Fall, cause Stephen Harper is going to hold a vote in parliament to reopen the issue of same sex marriage (But I'm confident that nothing will change, it's not an issue of high priority for most politicians anymore)

Mahealani770
July 3rd, 2006, 09:16 AM
Wow, ok Stacer we will get right on it! The commitment ceremony down here in Atlanta is what kicked off our Gay Pride weekend. It was great. We were the only ones adorned in Hawaiian leis, but that's ok..lol
I would've LOVED to have seen those two men in their sharp uniforms get married. That's awesome.
The gay marriage thing down here is going back to get voted on. I'm just sick of it already. The same people who are intolerant of gay people and accuse us of being promiscuous perverts, are the same people who won't allow us to be committed to one partner and be monogomous, if we so choose. Doesn't make any sense.:mad:
Anyway, I'll stop jacking my own thread now.:angel:
Thanks again for all the vacationing info!

Stacer
July 3rd, 2006, 11:26 AM
One last thread jack. Congratulations on the commitment ceremony!:)

CyberKitten
July 3rd, 2006, 11:56 AM
Congrats on your committment ceremony!! We have had some cruise ships come into port here so gay ppl denied that right elsewhere could wed here. Rosie O'Donnell and her partner wed in Hfx - that caused quite a stir. Everyone wanted to see Rosie, lol (and she did say she loved Hfx so good for her, haha).

Just let us know when the wedding is. :)

Prin
July 3rd, 2006, 11:59 AM
And just this past week 2 of our Royal Canadian Mounted Police officers (men) got married in full uniform. They said people called them the "Brokeback Mounties"... :D

Montreal also has a huge gay pride parade. :thumbs up

CyberKitten
July 3rd, 2006, 12:10 PM
Well gheez, since everyone is bragging about their gay pride parades - we had a great one in Halifax too. The parade marshall was Lindsay Willow who recently won a Human Rights case against a local school board (some idiot had accused her of an inappropriate act with a student, totally unfounded). The Board had to pay her! There was a huge turnout!

Mahealani770
July 3rd, 2006, 01:03 PM
LMFAO at the Brokeback Mounties!! That's pretty cute. Wow, I had no idea that Canada had such huge/great Gay Pride festivals. And congrats to the poor woman who got accused of something she didn't do! OH, and thanks for the well-wishes everyone, we appreciate all the love :crazy:

Luvmypit
July 5th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Congrats Mehealani !

Another thing said about the Mounties was " the mounties always get their man" lol
My aunt has been with her partner for 38 years and they were going to get married but both are quite sick and decided it wasn't important but said if this was around 38 years ago they would have done it. But well 38 years ago they weren't exactly accepting if you can imagine.

i got married in the fallsview casino resort in niagara falls. i highly recommend it!

as for places to go I think you got enough to start. Every province has great things to see. Im an Ontarian and can attest to the great cottage country, hiking trails, one of them goes to Que. Oh and if your going towards Barry look for the Inukshuks http://www.sulis.net/inukshuk.htm all along the road where people stop to create them. They are literally every where. Not to mention the http://www.tctrail.ca/en/home.php transCanada trail.. soon to be the longest trail in the world because well it will eventually strech across Canada and being one the biggest countries its no suprise the trail will be the longest in the world. You can ATV, Bike, or hike it. There are camping accomadations all along the way.

Mahealani770
July 6th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Luvmypit,
Thank you! And may I say..congrats to your Aunt for that long haul of 38 years! My partner and I? Well..let's just say we take it day by day..lol
Thanks for the vaca info..thos Inukshuks are beautiful!!

Frenchy
July 6th, 2006, 08:28 PM
:sorry: I just read this post and found out (after everybody else) about your wedding,wooohoooo!I'm really happy for you and your partner.:thumbs up

chico2
July 7th, 2006, 07:55 AM
As am I:thumbs up I never understood why people cannot leave others be:sad: in this world of hatred,terrorism and war,LOVE should be celebrated,not debated:love:

jesse's mommy
July 7th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Chico you really were a hippie weren't you? :D

Make love not war! http://bestsmileys.com/peace/1.gif

Seriously, I completely agree with you. In this world of ugliness, if two people can find happiness and make a life with someone, what does it matter if they are the same sex? I say make happiness, experience love, and live your life however you can find it! Some of my family and friends don't necessarily agree with me, but hey who cares. I have my opinions they have theirs. I'd rather be happy and see others happy. Now to step off of my pedestool.

Mahealani770 congratulations! You have all of my blessings for a happy and wonderful life together!

Mahealani770
July 8th, 2006, 08:04 AM
Awwwww....I feel the Canadian love!!!! Thank you...
(*(*(*(Chico, Frenchy, Jessy's Mommy)*)*)*) We really appreciate that. And if we do get "legally" married in canada, I will definitely send out official pets.ca wedding invitations! lol :crazy:

jesse's mommy
July 8th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Awwwww....I feel the Canadian love!!!! Thank you...
(*(*(*(Chico, Frenchy, Jessy's Mommy)*)*)*)

Pssst, I'm not Canadian, I just play one on TV. http://bestsmileys.com/silly/5.gif

CyberKitten
July 8th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Jesse, you can be an honourary Canuck and you too Mahealani770 - when you come here to get married. :)

I always wanted to be a hippie but they were a bit before my time. I LOVE their music tho, lol

Frenchy
July 8th, 2006, 02:01 PM
I was born in 1970 and my bro (is 14 yr older than me) and all his friends were hippies.I wish I was born the same year he did.Sometimes I think I may be the reincarnation of one hippie that died of a drug overdose around 1969.:crazy: I just love everything about the 60's.I would have been such a Jim Morrison groupie.:o

Prin
July 9th, 2006, 02:36 AM
I would have been such a Jim Morrison groupie.:o
Me too!! :) :highfive:

Seriously, I completely agree with you. In this world of ugliness, if two people can find happiness and make a life with someone, what does it matter if they are the same sex? I say make happiness, experience love, and live your life however you can find it!I so agree. In this day and age, with all the divorce and things, marriage means different things to everybody and to me that should mean that it includes everybody too.

In the meantime, I'm waiting for my invitation.;) Will it come in a thread, an email or what?:D

chico2
July 9th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Frenchy,oh yes,Jim Morrison:love: :love:
It was a different world back then(at least when I think back)although we had the horror of Vietnam:sad:
Living in Sweden at that time,we were often part of demonstrations at the US embassy:cool: Sorry for high-jacking,again!
Mahealani,I wish you and your partner all the best LOVE will prevail over anything else:love:

mastifflover
July 9th, 2006, 08:57 AM
Congrats on your commitment ceremony. We have a kick a## gay pride weekend. You will love Toronto it has great restaurants a huge gay community and of course great shopping. Lots of jockish things to do if you are so inclined, not for me.We do have beautiful parks like High Park where they have plays in the open air theatre at nights. Huge off leash area dog hill and trails to walk all designated off leash if you are bringing the kids Let us know when your ceremony and maybe we could show up and celebrate with you. This is a great link it gives accommodations that are pet friendly have found some great little places to stay here.
http://www.petswelcome.com/

CyberKitten
July 9th, 2006, 12:24 PM
By the time I got to univ, the war was over but as a child, I did attend a demonstration in Hfx (handing out leaflets at a mall, lol). So much for protest!!!

I LOVE protest music of that era - Baez and Dylan, War by the Animals, Universal Soldier by Buffy St. marie- I could go on..... Currently, I like Nanci Griffith who is a wonderful singer from Texas tho I first heard her in Dublin. I think the Dixie Chicks "Not Ready to Make Nice" makes a good protest song actually even if it a more personal one. I even like Ani DiFranco. My generation ended up with the mellow 70's and the Gawd awful disco tho I like the Bee Gees, lol

And jim Morrison was cute - whole cult thing about him I guess. We had a DJ (back when radio meant something) and a group of us (11-13 year olds) formed a fan club - he WAS cute and we called him all the time and visited him at the radio station. (How he put up with us, I don't know). Forget his real name but his radio handle was Jim Morrison, lol