Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Newby

Freya's mom
June 29th, 2006, 11:55 PM
Hi!

Obviously I'm Freya's mom.

Freya is my 3 month old German Shephard Puppy. She is the reason I have joined you group. I'm trying to find advice on exercise for her. THis is going to seem a little strange to some of you since my daughter is in her final year in Vet School. However, I cannot get her on the phone or on line and seem to have a burning need for the answer to my question. I have been teaching her to walk on leash and just the last few days have been going out with her for about a 1 mile walk which takes us about 30 - 45 minutes. After looking in to some other places I am beginning to wonder if I am pushing it a little. Is she too young for this type of activity. She is doing so well. But I would never want to endanger her health.

She is not my first GSD nor my first dog. I have always trained my dogs and they have all led long, happy, healthy lives but I guess my memory is failing me at my age.

I also have a 13 year old Tri-colored Sheltie named MacGyver. He is the sweetest dog alive and everone who knows him loves him to death. His age is catching up with him nowadays though. He had some growths removed this past week and we have had a lot of fun keeping the stitches in. Freya helped him with the Ecollar by eating it.

My cat is a very small Seal-point Siamese named Suki. Suki has also been known as Miss PMS because of her occassional attitude. But she is 13 also and mostly all she does is sleep.

LibbyP
June 30th, 2006, 08:57 AM
2 seniors and a new baby brave of you, I also have a senior dog now and it's hard watching them 'slow' down with all the things old age bring on, :sorry: I have no new puppy advice as I haven't had one in almost 13yrs, but I'm sure you will find a tons of helpful hints and tips on this forum, as you know pics are always welcome:pawprint:

Freya's mom
June 30th, 2006, 11:34 PM
When MacGyver's mom passed on I told him it was time for him to be an only dog and he has sure gotten spoiled in the last two years but then I realized that he would be gone someday too and I would be all alone. So I did a very selfish thing. I found the German Shephard Puppy I have wanted for many years.

And after 13 years a new puppy has been a real experience. I didn't realize how my older dogs had spoiled me.

I've decided to forego the walks until I talk to our vet about it. I only have a few days to wait. We see a lot of him lately.

But if anyone else has any thoughts I would love to hear them

mona_b
July 1st, 2006, 11:02 AM
Welcome Freya's mom....:)

The GSD is a breed close to my heart.I grew up with them and have raised 3 of them.

I would definately shorten the walks for now.IMHO 30-45 min walk are a bit long for a 3 month old.This is actually the age when I got my guys.I took them out for about 20 mins at a time.And did this a few times a day.

Once thing I need to mention.Please make sure you don't allow her to go up and down stairs alot.This can contribute to Panosteitis.It's a lameness desese that happens in this breed.It's almost like growing pains.The bones grow faster then they do.And when this happens,the Panosteitis can kick in.It usually starts in the front paws,then goes to the back hinds.My cousins GSD had this.It hit at about 5 1/2 months of age,and cost her about $3000 later.This was for all the xrays,medication and follow ups to the vets.It could last till they are a year old,but can come back.:(

Any pics of your furbabies?...We would love to see them....:)