Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need calorie source suggestions....

Esaunders
June 29th, 2006, 08:52 PM
ok ... its official, the pup is too skinny. He's been evaluated at 2 on the body scale instead of 3. (ideal)

Body Scale is
1 (emaciated)
2 (under-weight)
3 (ideal)
4 (overweight)
5 (obese)

He's already on 4 cups of Solid Gold/day plus chicken broth. Any more than that and he gets really soft stools. Any good calorie or even fat suggestions that would help get better weight on him?

coppperbelle
June 29th, 2006, 08:57 PM
What food in Solid Gold are you feeding? Is he eating a puppy formula and if so which one/

Esaunders
June 29th, 2006, 09:03 PM
What food in Solid Gold are you feeding? Is he eating a puppy formula and if so which one/

Solid Gold puppy formula, lamb. Hundchen Flocken

Product Description
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dry food formula made with Lamb, Millet, Amaranth, Barley and Brown Rice. Ideal for growing puppies, to maintain total health.

Protein, Min 28%
Fat, Min 14%
Fiber, Max 4%
Moisture, Max 10%
Calories per cup, 410

Ingredients
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lamb | Lamb Meal | Millet | Brown Rice | Menhaden Fish Meal | Cracked Pearled Barley | Canola Oil | Rice Bran | Flaxseed Oil | Amaranth | Blueberries | Dried Chicory Root | Carotene | Choline Chloride | Vitamin E Supplement | Iron Proteinate | Zinc Proteinate | Yucca Schidigera Extract | Copper Proteinate | Manganese Proteinate | Potassium Iodide | Thiamine Mononitrate | Ascorbic Acid | Vitamin A Supplement | Biotin | Calcium Panthothenate | Sodium Selenite | Pyridoxine Hydrochloride | Vitamin B12 Supplement | Riboflavin | Vitamin D Supplement | Folic Acid |

technodoll
June 29th, 2006, 09:58 PM
you could either feed a more calorie-rich food (Go! Natural has 617/cup)

Go Natural Dog Food is Canadian Made and is ranked among the world's best quality dog foods. Go Natural dog food has been recommended by the Whole Dog Journal since 2002.

With a 42% meat inclusion and a digestible energy level of 617 KCals per cup, Go! Natural dog food is one of the most nutrient dense diets available. Go Natural dog food is formulated with the four food groups in mind and only fresh wholesome ingredients are used, such as human grade chicken meat, low ash chicken meal, salmon, potatoes, carrots, apples, cranberries, and many more healthy ingredients. There are no by products, and there is no corn, wheat, soy or artificial chemical preservatives.

...or add cooked meats to the SG for more protein & calories: cooked lean ground beef, chicken, turkey, any beef parts (heart is good & cheap), canned oily fish packed in water, full-fat cottage cheese, cooked liver... give him snacks between meals like whole-wheat bagels with full-fat peanut butter or cream cheese... if your dog doesn't have any food allergies, this could work. :thumbs up

Rottielover
June 29th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Has the puppy been tested for parasites recently. It is possible he has worms.

Esaunders
June 29th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Yes, he's been tested for parasites. Nary a one in sight. Its more of a case of a high-energy, high metabolism young dog.

technodoll
June 29th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Its more of a case of a high-energy, high metabolism young dog

i have one of those at home PLUS he's not a big eater at all... doesn't much care for food. grrrr. :evil: Hope the suggestions i gave you below help out, it's the only thing that keeps my dog from looking totally anorexic!

Esaunders
June 29th, 2006, 10:16 PM
Technodoll ...

Thanks for chiming in. The GO! Natural is a good suggestion, although I particularly like the other suggestions. Those might help, esp. since I've been doing some raw supplementation already.
Yeah, mine isn't a big eater either. He's an infamous kibble-snubber, and raw-snubber until it has been 'hidden' long enough to suit him. Its utter hell trying to keep him from hiding a chuck of raw pork riblet in the quilt on the sofa.

technodoll
June 29th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Yeah, mine isn't a big eater either. He's an infamous kibble-snubber, and raw-snubber until it has been 'hidden' long enough to suit him. Its utter hell trying to keep him from hiding a chuck of raw pork riblet in the quilt on the sofa.

we have twins! LOL kinda glad to know i'm not the only one out there who thinks food is a chore :rolleyes: The only thing that works for my boy is... variety. some days he likes kibble dry and crunchy, other days he goes nuts if i add one of those little cans of meatballs in gravy (human stuff!) warmed in the microwave, other days he'll want canned dog food mixed in, or mushed-up sardines and yogurt, and then he will snub kibs no matter what's in there and insist on chomping down on half a raw chicken or slab of pork roast BUT monsieur only likes it seared! :mad: but if i don't do this, his spine and hip-bones show. i wish i had such a metabolism! :eek:
hope you find something that works, please keep us posted!

Prin
June 29th, 2006, 10:29 PM
You can also try merrick canned foods too...

It could be the lamb.. Most dogs that can't handle lamb get fat on it, but maybe yours is the opposite?:o

OntarioGreys
June 30th, 2006, 03:58 AM
How old is the pup? had he just went through a recent growth spurt?
Most pups will scrawny looking after a recent growth spurt it, with the food energy being used for bone growth, when the bone growth stops then the food energy will help to fill them out afterward without having to bump up the calories, just suggesting it "may" be be part of the natural growth phase for a pup

Esaunders
July 3rd, 2006, 06:31 PM
Sorry for the slow reply, we've been busy changing apartments (to get a backyard for the puppy dog)

He is 8 months old and is still going through growth spurts. The problem is that he is very slim normally and gets quite underweight with a growth spurt as opposed to going from ideal to very slim. Essentially he is normally running around 2.5 on the body scale and growth spurts put him at 2. I'd like to get him to 3 so that he only ends up at 2.5.

Esaunders
July 7th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Well ... there's been more luck getting him to more this week. I've discovered:
- SG puppy food will be eaten if I hide full-fat cottage and sardines underneath it
- lightly bbq'd pork hock is a big hit
- bbq'd back bacon is to die for (we've been fighting him for this one)
- canned salmon goes over well, but if it is put on top of the kibble he'll eat the fish and leave the kibble behind
- whole wheat bagels and pb are a hit too. (unfortunately, he's WAY to interested in my toasted bagel, pb, bacon sandwich and I won't share that)

and he REALLY wants the kitties' tuna, which is now hopefully up high enough that he can't get to it.

He seems to really like the fish, I might have to get a fish based kibble for him after this one is done.

Prin
July 7th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Solid Gold Wolf King is more fishy as well as Wellness fish and sweet potato... DVP's natural balance also makes a fish and potato one... :)

Esaunders
July 7th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Hmmm

DVP Natural balance might be a good idea ... he loves the duck and potato biscuits.

OntarioGreys
July 8th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Supplementing with Satin balls are often used for dogs that have lost large amounts of weight due to illness or for those that have been starved to help get weight on faster

http://www.njboxers.com/satin-balls-recipe.htm

Esaunders
July 8th, 2006, 08:22 PM
Ohhhh, does that one EVER sound like a good suggestion.

THANKS OG!!!!! :thumbs up :highfive:

technodoll
July 8th, 2006, 08:27 PM
i have an even better recipe, used it on my skinny boy and it really works. easier & cheaper to make, better ingredients. he loved them frozen! :)

Fat Balls:

lb (.45kg) hamburger mince (high fat content)
1 package cream cheese
1 jar all natural peanut butter
1 dozen egg yolks
1 cup rolled oats soaked in milk
1 jar wheat germ

Mix thoroughly (with hands is best).
Freeze into meal sized bags and thaw as needed.

Prin
July 9th, 2006, 12:13 AM
Yeah, I like technodoll's recipe because it doesn't have as much wheat or prepared foods in it... (No offense OG :grouphug: )

But I'd ease into it- some dogs can't handle fat well at all...

meb999
July 12th, 2006, 02:50 PM
yeah satin balls are awesome!
Although my recipe was cooked ground beef (as fatty as you can get), cooked rice and raw whole eggs to hold the mixture together....mmmmmm....

When I was trying to fatten Buster up a little I added a tablespoon of canola oil to his food. He loved it, plus a little oil doesn't soften his stools toooo much.

downloader
July 15th, 2006, 10:33 PM
I would stay away from go natural. They had a big recall on their food.
http://www.lieffcabraser.com/pet-food-recall.htm

technodoll
July 15th, 2006, 10:40 PM
that was 2.5 years ago, and only affected one batch made out of a texas plant (not canadian made nor distributed in canada). everything is ok now ;)

mastifflover
July 16th, 2006, 08:09 AM
It was the same type of thing with the Diamond brand only tainted food was in the US none in Canada.

Esaunders
July 27th, 2006, 08:46 AM
So I tried the Fat Balls recipe on the pup last night. (what is wrong with me that I can't think the recipe name without giggling :crazy: )

Not only did he scarf it up in delight but when I put a 2nd helping down later:
- he was too full to eat it
- woke us up and INSISTED on being taken upstairs to finish it at 4:30am :mad: and still managed to eat his normal breakfast of Solid gold & cottage cheese.

I've NEVER seen him look as happy as when he was munching away at this stuff. :highfive:

technodoll
July 27th, 2006, 09:11 AM
if you ever watched the older episodes of South Park... giggle... Chef's Salty Balls (they were cookies!) :D anyhoo i'm so glad your boy liked them! just be careful though, they are quite fatty and can cause the runs if you feed too much at once... slow and steady, a little every day, and it will do the trick in a few weeks. :highfive:
ps: how did you enjoy making the recipe?

Esaunders
July 27th, 2006, 10:05 AM
Ahhh, yes. I remember that episode well and it explains the twisted bent to my mind.

No problem making it, just like peanut butter meatloaf ;) except I poke and twist and moosh at it with a good old wooden spoon.

Amos was fascinated by the process and kept trying to lick the eggs in the egg carton while watching longingly.

Esaunders
July 28th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Update:

No episodes of the runs and he's more interested in food after eating this stuff instead of less. :cloud9: A bonus for training, he's more interested in the treats.

Very cool! :thumbs up

meb999
July 28th, 2006, 01:41 PM
did you cook the minced meat?

rainbow
July 28th, 2006, 06:46 PM
OG's recipe is fed raw and I would think that TD feeds them raw as well. ;)

But I don't see why you can't brown the hamburger first, if you prefer. I know I would. :o

technodoll
July 28th, 2006, 09:38 PM
no, the meat is raw. it helps hold the ingredients together, the fat is better digested and it's a snap to put together & form balls this way. cooked fats = not as good for dogs as raw fats ;)

rainbow
July 28th, 2006, 10:29 PM
Oh, I'm so stupid at times. :o

I meant to mix it all together first and then brown them. :D

meb999
July 28th, 2006, 10:31 PM
:o But then you couldn't feed close to breakfast or supper time if you're feeding kibble, right? Since they're not digested at the same rate...:o

johnnycat
August 16th, 2006, 03:48 PM
science diet AD from the vet its a high calorie food.

technodoll
August 16th, 2006, 05:47 PM
science diet AD from the vet its a high calorie food.

we don't recommend feeding *anything* from Hills Science Disaster here. one of the worst foods on the market :yuck: