Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How we spoil our babies....

SunGurl372
June 29th, 2006, 07:23 PM
I had a craving for sushi today, but no time to stop at a good restaurant to pick up something quality. So I bought some from our local grocery store. UGH...was it horrible. This is the second or third time I've bought from them where I just can't stomach it, so I'm pretty much done with that. :yuck:

Anyhow, I'm looking at all this raw fish on my plate that I can't eat, and then happen to look at Harley, who's eyes are just PLEADING with me....

So long story short, ten bucks of sushi was reduced to raw fish being fed to my pup.

At least she enjoyed it!!! :D

jesse's mommy
June 29th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Was it the grocery store that is around here that starts with a P? If it was I've looked at it and thought it looked nasty. Yuk! Aside from that, you are a good dog mommy! :D

SunGurl372
June 29th, 2006, 07:45 PM
How surprising...yes, it just happens to start with a P. About two years ago, the sushi was fabulous...no complaints. That's the reason for the repeat purchases...keep hoping it was just a bad batch. Ultimately, the quality has just gone down. Still, the fur monster is not quite as picky as I am and was in heaven.

So this has opened up a whole new realm for Harley. I'd love to feed her raw foods, but wasn't sure how she'd take to it and really can't do it full time. But apparently she'll hoover the fish (salmon and tuna this go 'round) and fish comes pretty cheap around here!

technodoll
June 29th, 2006, 07:45 PM
the only good (and IMO, safe) sushi is the one made fresh after you order it... so many things can go wrong with fish, why take a chance? but dogs can eat green meat so why not :p yummy yummy, mine always look at us drooling cuz they know they always get that last piece of sushi, rice seaweed and all, they love it! just have to make sure there's no wasabi :D

you are a great mommy, indeed, and i hope you get to satisfy your sushi craving soon, with real good stuff!

PS: puppyluv's girl, layla, eats mainly raw fish! and thriving!

http://www.gelsons.com/images/catering/supl1.jpg

jesse's mommy
June 29th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Apparently some of these P stores now have fresh Sushi Bars in them and it's not the premade stuff that is dropped off. They just started this in the past few months. I haven't seen any yet because unfortunately it's not in any of the stores I'm responsible for, but apparently these Sushi Chefs basically rent the space from them and have their own little "restaurant" within the store. Kind of like the sub shops in Wallyworld. Keep an eye out for that and let me know if you find any. I'll do the same if I find one.

SunGurl372
June 29th, 2006, 08:02 PM
I think this particular store has changed it's policy. The gentleman who runs the sushi bar always used to ask me what I wanted, and if it wasn't premade, he'd make up a special order. Now, he's just pushing whatever happens to be in the cold case.

I think there is actually a fresh Sushi Bar in one of the stores close to me, just not the closest one. I'll have to go in and check.

I didn't give Harley any of the rice or seaweed, worried about what that might do to her. Good to know that someone with great experience in feeding this ways does that. Next time, I'll give the whole thing.

technodoll
June 29th, 2006, 08:07 PM
I didn't give Harley any of the rice or seaweed, worried about what that might do to her.

fresh rice is better anyday than the stuff in kibble :p plus the seaweed is basically fresh kelp, also a prized health food... if your dog will eat it, ho boy you have a gourmet on your hands, LOL! :crazy: whole raw fish is excellent for dogs, from head to tail. some dogs loooove it, some don't care for it, guess which i'm stuck with? sigh.

SunGurl372
June 29th, 2006, 08:24 PM
LOL, Technodoll...I think I'm going to have to start a whole new thread with you about feeding raw....all raw fish that is!

She deals with all kinds of cooked "real" food just fine. This fish is the first real raw food I've given her, and she loved it.

I got nervous about the white rice, because that's usually a no-no in kibble, and in hindsight...I was a dolt about not giving her the seaweed wrapper.

Lots to learn here...thinking about starting a new thread on just feeding fish. Hate to see I'm depriving her of key nutrients, but down here...you can get fish all year round at ridiculously low prices.....

BoxerRescueMTL
June 29th, 2006, 08:48 PM
down here...you can get fish all year round at ridiculously low prices.....
Wow, you're so lucky! I rely a lot on my dad for fish in the summer, he's a great fisherman and he brings us fresh fish all the time :love: This morning Vegas had two whole trout for breakfast. He's turned into quite the fish eater. Last year he woundn't touch it unless I chopped it up. But this year he chows down on it whole. He looks so satisfied after!

jesse's mommy
June 29th, 2006, 09:30 PM
SG is right, the prices are seriously low. Even the Sushi restaurants. We have an all you can eat Sushi buffet around the corner from us that has awesome, super fresh sushi and it's only $9 for lunch and $15 for dinner. I've never had anything to complain about with it. It's super good, yum, yum, yum!

Oh yeah and on Monday nights they have fifty cent drafts and two for one mixed drinks.

Lump of Kohl
June 29th, 2006, 09:33 PM
This might be a silly question but when you feed the dogs fish do you give them fillets or do you let them have it bones and all?

jesse's mommy
June 29th, 2006, 09:36 PM
You need Technodoll for that one. :D I don't feed my pooch raw. I just eat the raw fish -- with lots of wasabi and lots of soy sauce, yummy!

BoxerRescueMTL
June 29th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Oh yeah and on Monday nights they have fifty cent drafts and two for one mixed drinks.
Florida here we come! Oh and the sushi sounds good too ;)
This might be a silly question but when you feed the dogs fish do you give them fillets or do you let them have it bones and all?
Bones, head, body - everything! Yum.. :crazy:

SunGurl372
June 29th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Agreed with Jesse's Mommy. The sushi restaurants here are excellent, and throw in some spectacular drink specials. How can you go wrong???!!

I'm going to do some searches in the raw food threads about fish. Choking on fish bones is such a big deal for us, I have to feel a little concern for my girl.

But I can get HUGE whole fish - heads, tails and all - at such a bargain, I'd like to know what's safe to put down her hatch.

SunGurl372
June 29th, 2006, 09:45 PM
Florida here we come! Oh and the sushi sounds good too ;)

Just let me know when you are ready to come down! I'll find a place for you and Harley is dog crazy!! :D

technodoll
June 29th, 2006, 09:46 PM
We have an all you can eat Sushi buffet around the corner from us that has awesome, super fresh sushi and it's only $9 for lunch and $15 for dinner. I've never had anything to complain about with it. It's super good, yum, yum, yum!

i'll trade you our corner dive which serves steamed hotdogs and poutine for cheap :D :D seriously, you have it good in florida!! if i could afford to eat sushi every few days, i would... :love: so tasty and healthy too. sigh.

if you want to give raw fish to puppy, try small ones at first (smelts come to mind!) and then move on to bigger fish... the best ones are the oily saltwater fish (sardines, mackeral, etc). the ONLY fish that you cannot feed fresh (must freeze for a few days first) is Pacific Northwest Salmon. can i be your puppy? :p

jesse's mommy
June 29th, 2006, 09:46 PM
We can all meet in the middle for a Sushi/drink special dinner! Woo Hoo!

SunGurl372
June 29th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Name the place and the time, and I am SOOO there, baby!!! :cool:

jesse's mommy
June 29th, 2006, 09:51 PM
Jacksonville right?

BoxerRescueMTL
June 29th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Just let me know when you are ready to come down! I'll find a place for you and Harley is dog crazy!!
LOL, maybe Vegas and Harley can share a big mackarel! And mommies can have some Pina Coladas... ;) Oh it's fun to dream...

jesse's mommy
June 29th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Airfare is ALWAYS cheap to Florida!

technodoll
June 29th, 2006, 10:00 PM
I've never been to Florida :eek:

BoxerRescueMTL
June 29th, 2006, 10:01 PM
I wish spare time was cheap!!! I need a little vacation!

SunGurl372
June 29th, 2006, 10:10 PM
Jesse's Mommy - Yes, I'm in Jacksonville. So practically in your backyard!!!

LOL, maybe Vegas and Harley can share a big mackarel! And mommies can have some Pina Coladas... ;) Oh it's fun to dream...

No dreaming here! I can make the meanest Pina Coladas you'd ever like to encounter....the invitation is OPEN!!! :cool:

jesse's mommy
June 30th, 2006, 08:29 AM
We are actually taking a trip out to the Daytona area this weekend. I've never been so honey wants to show me some of the sights. He wants to take me to see Casa Dega and possibly pop over towards Cape Canaveral for the space shuttle launch. How far is Daytona from you? It's about an hour for us.

Puppyluv
June 30th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Apparently some of these P stores now have fresh Sushi Bars in them and it's not the premade stuff that is dropped off.
They have this at a grocery store in Montreal that starts with an M. I've never tried it, because there is a huge proliferation of sushi shops in this city..can't walk a block downtown without passing at least 2 of them. I've become pretty picky though, one of the best places (so say the critics, and I have to agree) is 1/2 a block from me.:D

PS: puppyluv's girl, layla, eats mainly raw fish! and thriving!

She sure does, and she sure is! She might just leave me for a new home if I stopped feeding her fish. Mmmmmm Frozen sardine-sicles!!! Can't beat those in the summer.:D

SunGurl372
June 30th, 2006, 09:00 AM
How far is Daytona from you? It's about an hour for us.

I think it's about an hour and a half or so. Sounds like you are going to have fun.

jesse's mommy
June 30th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Aww, doody. Just found out the races are in Daytona this weekend so we have to cancel the trip. Doody!!!

SunGurl372
June 30th, 2006, 09:37 PM
That stinks! But probably a wise choice. Daytona's always crazy as it is, but add in the race crowd and it is just chaos.