Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

what is this, poop week??

technodoll
June 29th, 2006, 06:48 PM
i'm so fed up with cleaning POOP! :mad:

sunday afternoon, on the way to my brother's place, maika pooped in the car! doing 110 on the highway, can you see us screech to the side of the road to clean up that mess? thank god for blankets... but still. waaaay too much steak from the previous evening's bbq, lesson learned. just grateful it was not dakotah that was sick, OMG the car would have been trashed!

then yesterday, she pooped in her crate because of those stupid smoked bones from the petshop. again another stinky awful mess to pick up when i came home from work. but hey, it's life.

then today, i take them to their green grassy spot after work for bathroom break, and i see her rolling in something, unusual for her to look so sheepish, she lifts her head covered in yellow... she was rolling in some other dog's mess! :yuck: i could have died right then and there!! OMG i was nauseous, her head and neck were covered in s**t! and she KNEW she had done something wrong, cuz she just came up to me, sat and gave me the paw while turning her head away from my eyes. little bitch! oh that's not the worst of it... i put her in the tub (I'm still in my nice work clothes, can you see where this is going?), wet her down, she's dripping brown water... and.... she SHAKES all over me! :eek: :yuck: :eek: i wanted to cry.

anyways we got through it... she's clean now, the tub is scrubbed and clothes in the wash... both dogs just happy as clams, life is good. And this is how I start my 10-day vacation, LOL!

i really hope we're done with all this poop now, i can't take it anymore! :o

glasslass
June 29th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Heehee! I won't rub in (no pun intended :D ) the advantages of little dogs!:D :D

jesse's mommy
June 29th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Hey, s*** happens!

(I couldn't resist that one.)

Prin
June 29th, 2006, 07:46 PM
hee hee.. I've had those before. (I have to watch my jokes in this thread or karma is going to kick my a**!!)

Is this your first **** rolling experience? If yes, it's probably not the last. If no, you already know it won't be the last.. lol

An hour into a 4 hour car ride, we stopped for a rest and Jemma ran off to do her doodies and came back covered in pig nasties... It was horrible. I was all "Do we go on or head back?" We weren't even halfway yet... :rolleyes:

Doggies, eh?

technodoll
June 29th, 2006, 08:05 PM
waaaaaaaaaaah! you mean she will do this again? waaaaaaah!! she's my 4th dog and the 1st one to do such a nasty thing! why do dogs roll in smelly gunk? dead animals, garbage, wet poo? :yuck: :confused: :yuck:

so prin, did you end up going back home or did you keep rolling with the windows down?

Prin
June 29th, 2006, 08:11 PM
lol I bungeed towels to her and we kept on going... :D My bro convinced me that my aunt 4 hours away would let me use her hose... Well, she didn't want me to use it but I told her to consider the alternative. :evil:

They do it to hide their scent to be better predators, supposedly.

SunGurl372
June 29th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Gotta love our furbabies. My one truly scarring experience came when I had boarded Harley for several days. Went on vacation, my sister's 1 year old baby came down with the massive runnies, so no way we could pack up in the car. Harley stayed in boarding an extra day, without her food as I didn't provide extra, so she ate whatever stuff they were feeding (and as we all know, it probably wasn't anything very good).

She was in her crate for a couple of hours the next day as I had to check in at work. My mother called me after checking in on Harley. She had apparently had an explosive, very liquid movement in the crate. To make matters worse, she had somehow managed to push the plastic tray from the bottom of the crate out.

So .... the dog was covered in poop, crate was coated from top to bottom, and about a three foot square area of carpet in my APARTMENT bedroom was saturated in stinky brown liquid.

Through luck and tons of scrubbing with various carpet cleaners and vinegar, I managed to get it all out. But to this day, I always cringe any time I see Harley's bio breaks come out anything but normal!

My heart goes out to you, Technodoll!

technodoll
June 29th, 2006, 08:31 PM
:grouphug: to everyone!! :grouphug:

where else could one get understanding and empathy when talking about such interesting topics? :D ah yes... our furbabies... gotta love them through the good and the stinky!

Frenchy
June 29th, 2006, 09:28 PM
Let me start with this ; :yuck: and oh yes,I've been there.I don't wash the dogs very often because of their skin problem (mainly Bailey's) so weeks ago,first sunny and warm week end,I washed the 3 of them outside.In the next 8 days,I had to wash Bailey 3 more times!He rolled on dead birds twice (even after I inspected the yard carefully) and he found something, poop, rotten animal,I still don't know :eek: but it was dark brown and smelled like hell.Everything is alright since then,hope it continues :fingerscr

mafiaprincess
June 29th, 2006, 09:44 PM
So far this week we've rolled in:
raccoon poop
nearly mummified squirrel
dead robin
dead worm
something I couldn't see in the grass...........

Frenchy
June 29th, 2006, 09:49 PM
:eek: :yuck: :sick: :sorry:

Skryker
June 29th, 2006, 10:22 PM
:grouphug: Isn't it funny how they try to give a paw when they are in trouble or want something? Not so funny to you at the time, I'd guess.

Seriously, though, I can *almost* grasp the concept on rolling on something dead and smelly to disguise yourself, but another dog's poop!?! Can't be healthy.

Here's hoping your vacation remains unusual poop incident free!:fingerscr

technodoll
June 29th, 2006, 10:51 PM
So far this week we've rolled in:
raccoon poop
nearly mummified squirrel
dead robin
dead worm
something I couldn't see in the grass...........

{{burst out loud laughing!}} oh god, i feel better now :D oh yes laughter is the best medecine... it's always funny after - not during! - and makes a story or two to pass around. just not at the dinner table. :o

jesse's mommy
June 29th, 2006, 10:53 PM
I had Jesse pick up, pounce on, and roll on a turd about a month and a half ago at 2:30 in the morning. Boy, mommy and daddy were happy campers having to wash it all off half asleep.

Prin
June 30th, 2006, 12:39 AM
lol 3AM is the best time for rolling in dead birds too! Woohoo!!:rolleyes:

dtbmnec
June 30th, 2006, 01:01 AM
ROFL (not in poop)

So this is one of the many reasons not to get a dog............yet......

ROFL oh I'm sorry I don't mean to laugh at your pain but its just.....comical! Please don't hit me! lol

Megan

mafiaprincess
June 30th, 2006, 01:07 AM
Least y'all are getting a laugh out of it. If I see rolling I'm unamused. I know I don't want to know but she sleeps in my bed... My sheets are pink this week...

I've never had so many things to roll on ever. Frig. It's a bad week for animals in my yard... Pancake squirrel anyone?

dtbmnec
June 30th, 2006, 01:21 AM
I'm sorry...but it is funny from an outsider's perspective....

I mean I know that whenever my cats do something bad my friends laugh but I get pissed (lol I stomp towards them and they know that they've done soemthing bad they scurry away) but afterwards it can be quite funny. They are by no means afraid of me (they curl up and cuddle like you wouldn't believe....especially when they want food (go figure)) but they know that if htey've done somethign bad (like get up on the table) they might want to scurry away so they don't have to deal with me yabbering away angrily at them (at the very least it gets them off the offending table and they are sortof learning....sort of). Smart cats!

I know its not fun to clean up the dogs after they've gone and rolled on soemthign nasty...its not fun being the only one to clean the litter (and have the cats "help") and its not fun when you can't get out to the pet store and buy enough wet food so you have to make do with something else and the litter gets super nasty....the cats sleep in my bed too (when Arron doesn't kick them out anyway) and I can totally understand....

You can't see the funny in it? if anything its a funny haha kind of way than an actual funny. (damn cats on the keyboard and desk grrrrrr)

Megan

Sunkist/Winnie
June 30th, 2006, 09:21 AM
Too funny. I'm not a dog owner - yet. But I do have two cats that think cartpet is their own personal butt scratching devise. I can't count the number of times I've clean brown streaks off the carpet :mad:

I had a cat that had anal gland issues...now let me tell you THAT smells nasty! Especially when they've scooted right across the top of your new sofa trying to clear them out. Momma was not happy that day.

And while you feel outrage that you will yet again have to be cleaning up poop, you can't help but laugh at cats with hind legs lifted pulling themselves along the floor on their butts because they have a "cling-on".

I thought I'd avoid the poop/puke patrol by not having human babies. SOmehow I think I might have been better off, at least they grow out of it after a few years. My cats are 6 and 5 and I still clean up poop, puke and furballs far more than I had imagined I would.

P.S. Removing cartpet doesn't change things...the buggers just run and find a mat to scoot along or puke on.

technodoll
June 30th, 2006, 10:36 AM
I thought I'd avoid the poop/puke patrol by not having human babies. SOmehow I think I might have been better off, at least they grow out of it after a few years. My cats are 6 and 5 and I still clean up poop, puke and furballs far more than I had imagined I would.

:o and yet, we love them so much we keep wanting to adopt more... are we masochists? :o LOL no really, i'm totally laughing at it all now... both doggies are getting their pre-vacation baths today and i promise you the house will be covered in fluffy fur, it's the end of the bi-annual coat blow and i just wish it was over, grrrrrrrr. so puke, poop, pee, fur, eye goop and fairy dust, la la laaaaaaaaaa..... and yet i wish i had the space to adopt a 3rd one :crazy:

Dog Dancer
June 30th, 2006, 11:00 AM
This is so funny, yes we've all been there I guess. Once Shadow ran off at the beach and when she came back she smelled like dead something she had rolled in - probably fish or seal. She couldn't stand the smell either and kept trying to bury her head in the sand dunes. That was so funny, I'm sure she was trying to get the smell off her face. Fortunately they have a hose at the parking lot for the dogs and we were able to rinse her down, but of course no soap or anything so we had to drive home (1/2 hour only) with all the windows open and all our heads hanging out.

And Technodoll, as Shadow is part Akita (the lovely to look at part) we don't bath too often either as the hair that comes out is unbelievable!!! For three days we've got a fur carpet going. I have to vacuum the patio even. But I was thinking this was the weekend to do our second bath this warm season. I figure it will help her to lose the last of her winter down.

littlesister
June 30th, 2006, 12:35 PM
I've got a roller too. She especially likes to roll after being bathed and smelling too good. I guess she figures she smells like something that might taste good, and we can't have that.

So lately her new hobby, God help me, is after a rain, pulling up earthworms from the ground with her teeth, and rolling on them. Sometimes they live through it all. Go figure.

Prin
June 30th, 2006, 01:30 PM
It is funny, I guess, but when you know your dog is going to be a lifetime roller, the joke isn't over yet... I mean, it's hard to laugh "in retrospect" when it still is in our future.:D

But rolling is better than eating, I guess. (Don't get me started on Boo the mystery poo eater...)

technodoll
June 30th, 2006, 04:20 PM
But rolling is better than eating, I guess. (Don't get me started on Boo the mystery poo eater...)

my dobie girl used to do that... drove us nuts, it's the nastiest thing in the world - :yuck: :mad: :yuck: i'm pretty sure she caught her hepC that way and she never made it past 2.5 years of age... (rip sweet java).

is there any training we can do to stop the "rolling XYZ" behavior? i mean, they do know it's a bad thing when we scold them, right? :eek:

planetsherry
June 30th, 2006, 04:26 PM
:sorry:
All I can say is if I was in your car and you were doing 110 I would poop too.

Planetsherry

technodoll
June 30th, 2006, 04:29 PM
All I can say is if I was in your car and you were doing 110 I would poop too.

ha ha! we're in Canada... speed is in KM/hour, not miles! :eek:

Puppyluv
June 30th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Layla rolls on every walk we go on. People see it and go "awwwwww how cute ":) no... not so cute... she rolls in dog poop, dead birds, dead squirrels, dead fish (her fave!) bird poop, drunken vomit, anything. :yuck:

technodoll
June 30th, 2006, 04:44 PM
what is it with layla and fish? LOL!! just watch out she doesn't bury her dinner one night under some house shoes or something, then dig it up later and roll on it! :eek:

(just teasing :party: )

planetsherry
June 30th, 2006, 04:53 PM
ha ha! we're in Canada... speed is in KM/hour, not miles! :eek:

Okay so you got me there. LOL. I do know how it feels. My daughter picked out a kitten from a litter next door to where I lived one time and wanted to make it her pet. So I asked the neighbor if I could have the kitten.

Needless to say a few months later I caught her in the kitty litter box eating her kittens poop. She has started losing her hair and I took her to the vet.
The vet said it had nothing to do with it.

I adopted out the cat back to its original owner when I found out someone had took off with the mother of the kittens. Needless to say my daughter's hair stopped falling out.

Its much worse to see them eat it than wear it.

Planetsherry

Puppyluv
June 30th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Needless to say a few months later I caught her in the kitty litter box eating her kittens poop......

.....Its much worse to see them eat it than wear it.

Planetsherry
Woah woah woah, when I first read this, I thought you were saying your daughter was eating it.

I disagree on the second part. Layla eats other dogs' poop, vomit, and her favprite, human poop in the park. Except for the human poop, I would raher she eat it, than roll in it.

chico2
June 30th, 2006, 05:27 PM
I thought so too,thinking WOW,you have a serious problem if your daughter eats catpoop:D :D

chico2
June 30th, 2006, 05:31 PM
About poop,Bailey(my walking companion)poops 3 times every day when I take her out,I have to bring 3 bags.
Is that normal??? Or is it because she gets fed IAMS,lowcal???
Instead of regular treats,I bought a bag of Solid Gold for treats for her,lasts longer and cheaper than treats...but she poops an awful lot for a small dog.

Frenchy
June 30th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Chico2,3 times a day or 3 times on each walk :eek: Because 2-3 times a day is about normal.Puppyluv,did I read correctly? Human poop in the park ? :yuck:

Puppyluv
June 30th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Puppyluv,did I read correctly? Human poop in the park ? :yuck:
You sure did! Nice and full of corn kernels (I;m gagging as I write this). Only happened twice, but still.. that's two times too many.

technodoll
June 30th, 2006, 07:40 PM
THAT is the poop my dobie girl loved to seek out :yuck: and :yuck: and triple :yuck: !!! she never touched dog poop. i can't believe the places people find to relieve themselves, it's appaling!! OK back to funny stuff now cuz this is just getting gross.... sooorrry..... must. think. happy. thoughts. :crazy:

chico2
June 30th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Frenchy,I only walk her once a day and she poops 3 times in less than an hour...I have not had a dog for about 30yrs and in those days no poop was picked up.Not that I mind,but 3 bags of poop is a lot of poop for a Cocker Spaniel:confused:

Prin
June 30th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Chico, walking stimulates the colon for some doggies. I mean, she probably does have more because of the food she's on, but it's not uncommon. If she usually goes 3 times and either doesn't go at all or goes 7 times, then you have a problem.:D

chico2
July 1st, 2006, 07:39 AM
Thank's,I was not really worried,just wondering if this was normal,,I am walking around with the most poop in the neighborhood:D

technodoll
July 1st, 2006, 10:10 AM
chico, there are ways to reduce the amount of poop... change to a food with less grains, or mix in some with Evo your current food to cut down on the qty of grains... you should see less poops, since the bulk of the "loads" is fiber from the grains :thumbs up

jesse's mommy
July 1st, 2006, 10:19 AM
TD, it's not her dog. It's her neighbors dog that she walks everyday.

technodoll
July 1st, 2006, 10:23 AM
ooooooooooh.... :o (insert blushing face for responding to a post without having morning coffee first)!! am i forgiven? :o

Frenchy
July 1st, 2006, 11:00 AM
Bailey always manages to poop as soon as we start to walk,so I have to do the entire walk with the poop bag,and a trail of flies following me :mad:

Prin
July 1st, 2006, 12:15 PM
lol Frenchy, Jemma does that too. So much for picking up guys while walking the dogs, eh?:D

Dog Dancer
July 1st, 2006, 12:53 PM
Just remembered reading the rolling on fish part, whenever I give Halo shrimp from our dinner she'll drop it on the floor and roll on it rather than eat it. At the cost of shrimp yet!

Thank goodness no poop eaters here:yuck:

chico2
July 1st, 2006, 03:56 PM
Jesses mom,I was just going to explain that,thank's!
Unfortunately Bailey is still fed,IAMS for chunky dogs and Science Diet..I gave a few samples of better foods,Wellness,Solid Gold etc...but no change:sad:
I give her some Solid Gold that I bought her for treats.

mafiaprincess
July 1st, 2006, 06:09 PM
As we roll in 4 different spots in the yard and I can't find what we are rolling in.. :sick:

I have a stimulated pooper. And she's certainly not fed crappy food. We poop 2x a day.

If she gets a decent walk or free play in a park.. That's another 2-3 times more a day... And she doesn't do the 'extra' poopies otherwise.

It's like she empties out fully while walking and playing...

Prin
July 1st, 2006, 06:25 PM
Unfortunately Bailey is still fed,IAMS for chunky dogs and Science Diet..I gave a few samples of better foods,Wellness,Solid Gold etc...but no change:sad:
I give her some Solid Gold that I bought her for treats.
You'll just have to get your own dog one day that you can spoil rotten.:D

mafiaprincess
July 2nd, 2006, 02:37 AM
Cider got soaked in the rain... You thought dead rolling dog smelled bad? Try dead rolling dog while wet.....

I thought I was going to die.. It was bath time with extra conditioner tonight. Wow.

Puppyluv
July 2nd, 2006, 05:15 AM
Cider got soaked in the rain... You thought dead rolling dog smelled bad? Try dead rolling dog while wet.....

I thought I was going to die.. It was bath time with extra conditioner tonight. Wow.
LOL that happened to me last week when I was dead sick and Layla NEEDED to go out at 3:30 in the morning (the problem with me having an alternating schedule is that her body doesn't alternate quite as well). So we went for a walk and then I went back to bed... 10 min after I fall asleep she jumps into my bed:yuck: It stunk so bad, I woke up retching immediately:yuck: She got a shower right away (soooo glad she likes showers, as they are a lot quicker than baths)

Frenchy
July 2nd, 2006, 08:55 AM
Ah Prin,I wanted to post a picture of where I walk the dogs (behind my house) there is no way I would meet/see someone here!I'm surrounded by soy/corn fields and a little wooded area,the only thin I could meet are skunks/racoons :eek: or some feral cats my neighbor is feeding!I haven't met any of the first 2 yet.:)

OntarioGreys
July 2nd, 2006, 12:01 PM
Frenchy,I only walk her once a day and she poops 3 times in less than an hour...I have not had a dog for about 30yrs and in those days no poop was picked up.Not that I mind,but 3 bags of poop is a lot of poop for a Cocker Spaniel:confused:

As Prin mentioned exercise stimulates the bowels, so some dogs poop multiple times even with high quality food, the only difference is the amount of poop is less, usually each following poop gets progressively softer to the point it is sort of drippy, some dog also poop mark their terrorities for example my own boy Sunny he has even went as far as doing highrise and one hind leg poops inorder to plant the poop on small bushes and of course the lovely kicking afterward to spread the scent as you are trying to pick up the pile :rolleyes: So beware of the flying poop you could end up wearing as you are reaching in to pickup :eek:

chico2
July 2nd, 2006, 05:07 PM
OG's,you are right,the first two piles are firm and the third is looser,almost runny..
The owners only have time to let her out in the back-yard,where she seldom poops,she saves it all for me:D

glasslass
July 2nd, 2006, 09:12 PM
Can't resist adding a photo to this thread to prove that even "frou-frou", "prissy" dogs like to add a bit of "perfume". This was right after I spent all morning bathing, brushing, and clipping. He's not a roller. He just rubs his neck and shoulder. This Ewww of the day was kitty poop.

technodoll
July 2nd, 2006, 09:13 PM
oh my gaaaaaaaaaaawd! ahhahahahahhaa! you took a photo! :D