Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question about a bone from the store

cjanet4mk
June 29th, 2006, 11:24 AM
I'm fairly new here and have picked up a lot of info from this site. It is wonderful. I read a thread about smoked bones and that got me to thinking about the bone I got for my 6 mo old Bassett. I haven't given it to her yet, I was waiting for a special time, but now I have a question.

It is called Dently's Chewrite Choobles - natural. Then on the label it says - sterilized beef bone with maple bacon flavored filling.

Is this okay to give to my puppy?

Prin
June 29th, 2006, 11:26 AM
The sterilized ones for the most part are ok, IMO. They're a little hard, so just watch your doggy while she's chewing.:)

technodoll
June 29th, 2006, 11:30 AM
sterilized means cooked... so hard like a rock... very easy for dogs to chip and crack their teeth on, lacerate gums on sharp pieces, and swallowed bits can be rough on the insides (it's cooked bone). and for sure the filling is artificial flavor, ie chemicals. IMO, i would return it to the store, get your money back, and do what many folks here do: ask your butcher for a raw knucklebone, they're usually free (or almost), the bone is softer and any small bits chewed off are edible. some dogs though still chip and break their teeth on these bones, so monitor your puppy's mouth after every chewing session to make sure things are still ok.
ps: raw bones need to be rinsed & stored in the fridge or freezer between chews, they stay fresher for longer that way :thumbs up

Caite
June 29th, 2006, 12:32 PM
I would try a non-load bearing bone, which means no thigh bones. Ribs are my favorite, since they tend to be a little easier on the teeth and my JRTs can actually crunch quite nicely on them. I found that the knucle bones were too big and too hard. I get them from a pet store that sells raw food since I haven't found a good butcher where I am. I also like necks from turkeys, chickens or geese. The bones are easy to crunch up and the geese have the most solid necks, I've found (takes the longest for my guys to eat). They do have a fair amount of meat on them, however, so I adjust their meals accordingly.

Six months old is a great time to start since you can teach them to chew happily on a towel on the floor (I hope you have some ugly towels that you don't like!!) instead of on the couch and the bed and my clean laundry.....
(I only give them the bones inside when the weather is bad)

**edit** I meant RAW rib bones and necks since they don't splinter like cooked bones. If your pup isn't used to raw food, give them a bone for a few minute and then take it away for the first few days until his tummy gets used to the raw meat and marrow.