Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

?! Ideal times for vet visits ?!

alenka_ru_ca
June 29th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Hello everyone!

I have a 16 week old siamese female. I would like to know your thoughts on:
What is the best age to get her spayed? (I read that 6 months is best....)
How long before the surgery should I have shots done?
Do you think microchipping is necessary?:confused:

In regards to microshipping: she's a purely indoors kitty, will never go outside. We are, however, in a semi-temporary home and will probably move in a year or two. The kitty will ALWAYS be an inside-only pet though.
Also, are the microchips re-programmable? (i.e. can the address be changed later on? if so, how is it done?)
I'm just not sure I want to put a foreign body under her skin...:confused:

Oh, and if anyone can recommend a good VET in TORONTO, who does laser surgery and doesn't charge an-arm-and-a-leg for everything??? I don't mean the regular charges like visit fees, but the rediculous ones - like a charge for 'breathing' = eg. taking kitty's temperature. I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks,

-Elena-

LM1313
June 29th, 2006, 10:19 AM
Microchipping, while not necessary, can be useful if your kitty ever gets out by accident. I would go ahead and do it just because it's one more little piece of protection in case she gets out someday. :)

I thought cats can go into heat by six months? I'd get her spayed right away, four months old is old enough. I don't think there's any advantage to waiting . . .

RVT092481
June 29th, 2006, 11:41 AM
We recommend 5 - 6 months of age. Basically you don't want them to go into heat first. Some vets do it younger, but generally 5 - 6 months is the rule.
We suggest to have the vaccines done at leats a week before the surgery. We don't do them at the same time because it's too much on their little systems!
Microchipping is a preference to the owner. It's a peace of mind if she ever does get out and you don't have a collar on her. Every clinic and Humane Society has a universal scanner and if someone comes in with a found pet or someone comes in with an animal that looks like a lost pet, we scan it.
The number tells you which data base to call. They have all your information there (your info, an emergency contact, and the vets info as well). You can change your info whenever you need just by calling them up. Some require you to give your drivers license to ensure that it is you that's changing your animals info and not some random person that's trying to steel your pet (it has happened). The microchip goes in with a needle but it is a much bigger needle than she'd get vaccines with so that's why we generally do it while they are under general anesthesia (spay/neuter time)- so that they just wake up and they're chipped! Keep in mind that it does go under the skin so it can migrate. They don't always stay between the shoulder blades (I've found them at the base of the tail, abdomen, armpit, everywhere!)
As for a cheeper vet in Toronto...GOOD LUCK! Toronto is one of the most expensive (if not THE most expensive) place in southern ontario. They even start their new grad techs at min $25/hour (most other places your lucky if you get $8 or $9). Cheeper isn't always a good thing though. Cheeper prices may mean that when you bring your baby goes in for her spay, they may just put her on the table (sometimes unstable) and just the dr in there doing the surgery. No tech monitoring, no monitoring equipment...who knows. I'd talk to people in your area and find where they go and if they are happy. Word of mouth is the best or worst advertisement. Every clinic will tell you that they are the best!