Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Head shaking, among a list of many other things

leepsun
June 29th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Hello Readers,:pawprint: :pawprint: :pawprint:
My 7 year old boxer/lad cross dog has epicodes of head shaking. This began when she was 2, lasted about 6 months and disappeared on its own until about 2 months ago. I don't believe it is epilepsy because she is very responsive (gives her paw, sits, lays down when asked) and wags her tail when we speak to her. She eats and drinks good (no change in habits) and her stool is a little on the dark side but firm (not hard).
She's had very deep breathing problems (like a person would do if they had a collapsed lung), that occured only when she got excited. Now she snorts like a pig and she gurggles when at rest. She also has sneezing fits and sneezes some fleshy material.
I don't believe her symptoms are contagious.
I have 2 other dogs, one is 11 and the other is 3, they are perfectly healthy,
I didn't have money to spare to take her to a vet, I know its cruel and I couldn't help my circumstances and I still can't.
Also in the last week her left eye is closing over with her 3rd eyelid (the white skin from the corner of her eye is crossing over and has 1/4 of her eye covered).
Please if you know anything of what this could be, let me know.
She is a fighter, but with no money for veterinary costs I might have to put her down.:sad:
THANK YOU FOR READING, KNOWLEDGE AND ADVICE
LEEPSUN

jesse's mommy
June 29th, 2006, 11:01 AM
Unfortunately the only advice anyone can give here is to see a vet. Have you considered calling a vet to ask them if they can take payment plans? We are not vets on this forum so it is impossible and wrong to diagnose over the internet. Please call a vet and find one who does accept payment plans.

Prin
June 29th, 2006, 11:08 AM
What the hey? You can't afford her so you'll have to put her down? :confused: How is that fair to the dog? Why did you get a dog?:confused:

We can't diagnose things like this over the internet and we're not an alternative to real vet care. This dog needs to see a vet (and needs an owner who cares enough to take her).

RVT092481
June 29th, 2006, 11:25 AM
I don't know where you're from but a lot of clinics don't take payment plans, unless you have a regular one that has known you for a very long time. We usually suggest that people call their friends/family and see if someone will lend you their credit card/pay for it for you and then you can pay them back. Another option is MediCard. It's a credit card that you can only use at vet clinics and/or pet stores. You have to apply for it just like a regular credit card and you have a balance and monthly payments as well. I'd ask clinics in your area if this is something they offer (or something similar - I think there's a CareCredit (?) in the states as well).
I hope you can get your dog to a vet sometime soon - sounds like he needs it!

leepsun
June 29th, 2006, 12:50 PM
What the hey? You can't afford her so you'll have to put her down? :confused: How is that fair to the dog? Why did you get a dog?:confused:

We can't diagnose things like this over the internet and we're not an alternative to real vet care. This dog needs to see a vet (and needs an owner who cares enough to take her).

Sorry that this upsets you, but think of how I feel. I took her when my grandmother passed away, she was only 8 months and already made best friends with my oldest dog, its as if they were mother and daughter. She looks very much like a Pitbull and I knew she wouldn't have much of a chance anywhere else. And further more I had a very good job for many years up until my accident.
Have yourself a good day !

cpietra16
June 29th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Leepsun, Can you call a vet in your area that will take a payment plan? It might be worth investigating

jawert1
June 29th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Or even post where you're located. There are many rescues that frequent these boards that could direct you to a vet in your area that might help. It's worth a shot if you really want to help your dog.

Prin
June 29th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Sorry that this upsets you, but think of how I feel. I took her when my grandmother passed away, she was only 8 months and already made best friends with my oldest dog, its as if they were mother and daughter. She looks very much like a Pitbull and I knew she wouldn't have much of a chance anywhere else. And further more I had a very good job for many years up until my accident.
Have yourself a good day !
Sorry, I know I jumped on you a little.. But I'm unemployed too and in debt up to my eyeballs but this morning, Jemma went to the vet anyway. I could have waited out her rash, given her probiotics and hoped for the best, but to me vet care is not a luxury.

Thanks for taking her in, and I'm sorry, but the responsibility doesn't end there....

pitgrrl
June 29th, 2006, 02:31 PM
As other people have said, only a vet is going to be able to tell you whats going on.
That said, seizures come in many forms, not all are full, or grand mal, seizures. The head shaking could be a focal seizure, but again, a vet would need to actually diagnose this and the potenial causes are endless. Could be anything from exposer to a toxin to something that is just occuring for no known reason, but could be controlled by medication.

Could you call your local shelter and see if there are any low cost vet services available? I know some places have such programs.

coppperbelle
June 29th, 2006, 02:39 PM
Of course none of us can diagnose your dog here. What we can do is give you some options. Perhaps your local humane society can help you out. Your dogs symptoms seem to be increasing and she must be very uncomfortable. Please try and get some help for her. Maybe there is a veterinary school in your area or nearby that could help.

doggirl
June 29th, 2006, 10:13 PM
There are shelters that will subsidize vet care BUT they are far and few between (basically, shelters with loads of money).

It's cheaper to get an exam than a euthanasia.

Sorry but I agree with Prin, there are times where you have to do something - anything - to come up with $40 or so that an exam would be. I understand and empathize with your not having any extra money (been there!!!) but only you can find a way to come up with a few bucks to take care of this dog.

Where I live, the HS would consider laying a cruelty charge for someone whose pet is in definite distress, but who is withholding vet care. Heck you can make quick cash delivering pizzas or even making them.

Whereabouts are you, I do only know of 1 shelter that will help people in your situation but if you're near them I'll pass on the info.

leepsun
June 30th, 2006, 12:23 AM
I have called all around for payment plans and no vets around here will take that chance as in the past people have not come through with there promises to pay, so basially they ruined it for the ones that really need the help in times like this. The initial exam is only $35, thats not alot at all, however they will need to take x-rays and the cost of that depends on if they need to sedate her or not, and they also need to do bloodwork which also depends on what they are testing for. The treatment is another cost, either in-house treatment with IV (which can add up very quickly) or medication prescribed for her at home. I asked for prices for x-rays and gave them her weight and asked for a price range for bloodwork and they would not give me a straight out answer.
I am going to call our local SPCA and a local rescue resort that I am familiar with to see if they can help. Perhaps they can take her to their vets and I could pay them back. I don't know what will come of this but I am really trying to bring her back to health. Today it was as if she was normal, no symptoms at all. But that is how it is, one day she is great and the next day she has all these symptoms.

Again thank you all for your comments
LEEPSUN

There are shelters that will subsidize vet care BUT they are far and few between (basically, shelters with loads of money).

It's cheaper to get an exam than a euthanasia.

Sorry but I agree with Prin, there are times where you have to do something - anything - to come up with $40 or so that an exam would be. I understand and empathize with your not having any extra money (been there!!!) but only you can find a way to come up with a few bucks to take care of this dog.

Where I live, the HS would consider laying a cruelty charge for someone whose pet is in definite distress, but who is withholding vet care. Heck you can make quick cash delivering pizzas or even making them.

Whereabouts are you, I do only know of 1 shelter that will help people in your situation but if you're near them I'll pass on the info.

doggirl
June 30th, 2006, 02:02 PM
Whereabouts are you?

leepsun
June 30th, 2006, 06:48 PM
I am located in the Niagara Region of Ontario.

Whereabouts are you?