Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy with "slimy" bowel movements

Parplus1
June 29th, 2006, 03:33 AM
Sorry I haven't introduced myself yet. I am too busy looking for an answer and just figured I would ask my question. I have a 12 week old boxer/lab mix puppy. For the past couple days she has had "slimy" bowel movements. I called the 24 hour emergency vet when I got home from work and they say she may just have an upset stomach. I gave Echo (puppy) a teaspoon of Pepto as instructed. Has anyone ever heard of this before? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

phoenix
June 29th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Sometimes when they swallow something that is foreign (stick, plastic, string etc) the object is coated it with mucus so it doesn't scratch/hurt the intestines as it is 'exiting'. Boxers are notorious for digestive issues though. If it doesn't return to normal soon, back to the vet.

coppperbelle
June 29th, 2006, 10:51 AM
I had a foster puppy with slimy bowel movements. Turned out she had Giardia. Bring a sample to your vet and ask them to specifically test for this.

OntarioGreys
June 29th, 2006, 09:19 PM
It is cause by some sort of irritation to the bowel or large intestine lining, mucus is produce then to help protect from further irritation, running a fecal sample is a good idea, can also be cause by worms, may also indicate that something in the food is not agreeing with the dog