Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kitty clawing carpet

alenka_ru_ca
June 28th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Hi again!

I have posted this message before, but can't seem to find it anymore. Maybe, it got removed....

Anyway, my question is/was what to do if you have carpets at home, rather than hard floors, and your kitty is clawing the carpet, rather than the sisal rope board/post?
I have purchased a vertical sisal rope bound post and brought a horizontal sisal rope board from my kitten's mother (so it's had its use and spells like mom :)). But the baby still likes to claw the carpet and chairs (they have a rough-feeling taut material) around the house. She uses the scratching posts as well (the vertical has a very attractive furry ball on a spring at the top), so she's not completely ignoring them. But she really has trouble telling them apart from the floors and chars. How do I teach her to differentiate?

I'd really appreciate any advice!!

THANK YOU!

:pawprint:Elena:pawprint:

Stacer
June 28th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Maybe try a scratcher made of something else. She might not like the way that sisal feels. What about a scratching post made of carpet since she likes to scratch your carpet? Lots of cats like the cardboard scratchers as well. And maybe try putting some cat nip on it to attract her to the right spot. Also you could try putting double sided tape on the furniture where she likes to scratch, cats don't like sticky things on their paws.

dogmelissa
June 29th, 2006, 12:58 PM
You could also try some cat-repellant. It's not really repellant, just isn't something they like to scratch. My cats ocassionally scratch on the stairs (will use their posts 90% of the time but every now and then they go after the stairs) and I just spray this stuff on the stairs and they leave them alone for about 2 weeks after. Here's a link of what I have: http://tinyurl.com/n4fxv (this is American PetSmart website as they don't have a Canadian version, but you can buy it in their stores here. It might be found elsewhere, but that's where I got it)

In case you're worried about what's in it, it's water, olive oil, garlic oil & clove oil. I wouldn't recommend spraying this on everything or on really expensive carpets, but for areas like the stairs where the carpet doesn't even get a lot of wear (edges), I've found it's fine. My mom used to put face-cloths over the spots where her cat used to scratch and that was enough of a deterrent for him to go elsewhere. That might work as well.

And I do agree, the rope scratchers don't seem to be very popular with my kitties. I have 3 carpet-covered ones and a 4th that is 3 sides carpet, one side rope and they never touch the rope side. I also have 2 cardboard scratchers as one of my kitties doesn't like the carpeted ones either. You can also buy catnip spray which encourages them to scratch in areas you spray it, or just sprinkle or rub some catnip on the scratchers. But I'd guess that if your kitty is really a young kitten, the rope might just be too rough for her little feet.

Good luck,
Melissa

badger
June 29th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Go to the dollar store and buy one of those rubber-backed doormats that people put down just inside the door. Get the roughest one you can. My cats love them. When they start looking really tatty, I throw them out and re-stock (the mats not the cats).
Seriously, you have to intervene, not in an angry way, when you see her attacking the furniture, pick her up and put her on the mat or the freestanding sisal thingy, accompanied by a firm NO. You won't see her at it every time, but even a few interventions per day will make a difference. Don't be angry, either in the way you hold her or the way you speak; the kitten will become fearful. Just be determined.
Oh, and trim her little nails, which they use to drag themselves up onto furniture. Helps.

White Wolf
June 30th, 2006, 10:44 PM
Hi again!

I have posted this message before, but can't seem to find it anymore. Maybe, it got removed....
The original thread is still in the training section, here: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=249491#post249491

chico2
July 1st, 2006, 07:21 AM
It's also very important the scratch-boards are sturdy and don't fall over when the cat stretches to scratch.My cats love to scratch sisal,also the cardboard thingys you can by,or a regular cardboard-box.
It takes some practise trimming cats nails,but if you start when they are young,you should have no problems...just do not cut too close to the sensitive part(can't remember the name:D )wick or something like that:D