Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help! Clumping litter??

CaityCat
June 28th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Could someone please explain to me the danger of clumping litter? I hear no clay litter, and now no clumping litter.. I'm a first time kitty mama and have had no one to explain these things to me. The vet never mentioned anything about what litter to use or not use. I've got Arm & Hammer clumping baking soda litter, currently.

:eek:

jessi76
June 28th, 2006, 11:50 AM
the only danger I know of w/ clumping is if your cat ingests it. otherwise, it's fine. I've always used clumping, and I'm quite fond of the arm & hammer brand. I've never had any issues w/ it.

KarineB
June 28th, 2006, 11:58 AM
I also use clumping litter. I have had no problem at all.

The one I did have problem with was the one with the crystals (silica?), when Max was young and it got stuck to his private area. I had to soak it off. Not fun for me or him.

frogbelly
June 28th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Kittens are at greatest risk when using clumping litter. They are still learning to use the box and tend to get lots of litter stuck to their paws which they end up ingesting. The litter clumps in their intestines and swells, much like cement mix when water is added. This can have serious, and often fatal, results for kittens since they're physically more vulnerable and ingest more litter than adults. A good alternative with natural clumping is a wheat or corn based, organic litter such as Swheatscoop or World's Best Cat Litter. There are also paper based litters such as PaPurr that offer a clumping version that isn't harmful. I prefer the corn or wheat since it is completely 'edible' for kittens. The non-clumping versions of these organic litters require more frequent "total litter replacement" since the urine doesn't clump and sinks to the bottom of the pan so I prefer the natural clumping version they offer. Also, they contain absolutely NO CLAY which is always silica clay, acquired through strip mining, a known carcinogen, non-biodegradeable and therefore, has long surpassed disposable diapers in overflowing our landfills. I was shocked at the info about the dangers of clay litter that I found after even just a a brief internet search. There is a lot of it out there. I sure wish I had known sooner. Good luck with your newest addition.

Shamrock
June 28th, 2006, 02:29 PM
As mentioned, - its the clay clumping litter that can pose a danger, for kittens in particular.

I've used Sweatscoop for several years now, never found that it sticks to the paws.. unlike the little cement-like "rocks" I was finding on one of my cats'paws when he was a kitten.:eek: (he has very long fur-tufts)
Bur if it did stick, and was ingested, it doesnt present the potential health risks of the clay.

Sweatscoop and World's Best are fairly pricy as litters go, but if prefer to use a clumping type litter, the corn and wheat based are the safest in this category. There are many non-clumping litters available too that are fine to use and less costly.
For kittens' safety - these are the only types that I would personally ever reccomend to use, at least for the first six months.

LM1313
June 28th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Organic clumping litters made of wheat, pine, or corn are okay because if the kitty ingests it, it just passes through their system. :) Personally, I wouldn't recommend World's Best brand because it has a very odd, strong smell of its own and in addition does nothing to neutralize the cat pee smell. Pine litter is my favorite. :)

Shamrock
June 28th, 2006, 03:34 PM
LM... that is what I found with the WBCL too.
I tried one bag.. found it had a strange and strong smell:sick: I didnt care for it at all.
However, many just love it. It's one of the most popular of all litters, and for this type of natural clumping.. I believe the biggest seller.

Stacer
June 28th, 2006, 06:10 PM
yep, ditto on the plant based clumping litter. Biodegradeable, flushable, safe for kitties. What else could you want in a litter? We've tried pretty much all of the various plant based litters, pine, corn, wheat and just recently one called Healthy pet P-pod, made of various plant fibres (a proprietary blend, according to the packaging!) We liked the Swheatscoop the best for the smell and that it didn't track all over the place. Didn't like the pine and corn as much, the litter itself had a funny smell that didn't mix well with the cat pee and poo. This new stuff (P-pod) is a fine powder (a little too dusty), but it is amazing for containing the smells. I like the way it clumps and when you put the clumps in the toilet, they sorta disintegrate, which helps to prevent toilet clogs. And it has a great mint smell. But it cost nearly 20 bucks for a 15 lb bag...yikes. So needless to say we'll probably go back to the Swheatscoop. So there's my 2 cents:D

CaityCat
June 28th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the quick responses! I went to the local Agway (after calling the vet to see if they had any organic litter---ours often stocks pet supplies for purchase----and finding that they had "never heard of clay clogging kitten's systems"). When it comes to my baby's health I didn't want to take any chances, so I bought the closest thing to organic kitty litter available in my area: Arm & Hammer 100% recycled paper kitty litter. :angel: You guys are awesome!! :thumbs up

Stacer
June 28th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Very cute kitty.:pawprint: