Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ziploc Omelet

technodoll
June 27th, 2006, 09:32 PM
i am SO tempted to try this :p but are the freezer ziplocks safe to boil in water? anyone think this would not work?

Ziploc Omelet
Amaze your guests with your Ziploc cooking skills!

Have guests write their name on a quart-size Ziploc freezer bag with permanent marker.

Crack 2 eggs (large or extra-large) into the bag (not more than 2), shake to combine them.

Put out a variety of ingredients such as: cheeses, ham, onion, green pepper, tomato, mushrooms, hash browns, salsa, etc.

Each guest adds prepared ingredients of choice to their bag and shake.

Make sure to get the air out of the bag and zip it up.

Place the bags into rolling, boiling water for exactly 13 minutes.

You can usually cook 6-8 omelets in a large pot. For more, make another pot of boiling water.

Open the bags and the omelet will roll out easily. Be prepared for everyone to be amazed.

Nice to serve with fresh fruit and coffee cake; everyone gets involved in the process and it's a great conversation piece.

Bags can be prepared the night before, refrigerated and boiled the next morning for a quick breakfast.

Good luck.

wdawson
June 27th, 2006, 09:39 PM
hell for the cost , i'll try.

mafiaprincess
June 27th, 2006, 10:25 PM
We used to do that in Rangers.. Was quicker to get everyone's breakfast at once than trying to do individual eggs.. lol.

Prin
June 27th, 2006, 10:37 PM
All I know is when we put boiling water in ziplocs to use as heating pads, the chemical smell from them was pretty bad... I don't know if I'd eat out of them... But that's just me.;)

joeysmama
June 27th, 2006, 11:10 PM
Someone posted about this on a naother website and included the response from the people who make ziploc. I'll see if I can find it and copy it here. I know that they don't advise people to do this for the reasons Prin mentioned. Hmm.... I'll be back.

joeysmama
June 27th, 2006, 11:14 PM
OK I found it--let me see if I can copy it here.

__________________________________________________ ________

__________________________________________________ ________

* Ziploc does not recommend you boil their baggies, they melt at 190 degrees, boiling temp is 212 . I got this from their consumer website.

I will post the actual reply I was sent from the company. I also got this "idea" from an email I was sent, so it is defiantly circulating.

Dear ____,

Thank you for your e-mail. We always appreciate hearing from our consumers.

Regarding your inquiry, ZIPLOC brand Bags cannot be used to boil food.
Unfortunately, we do not manufacture a "boilable" bag.

We do not recommend using any ZIPLOC brand Bag in boiling water, or to "boil" in the microwave. ZIPLOC brand Bags are made from polyethylene plastic with a softening point of approximately 195 degrees Fahrenheit.
By pouring near boiling water (water begins to boil at 212 degrees) into the bag, or putting the bag into the water, the plastic could begin to melt.

Thanks again for your e-mail so we could give you the information you requested. If you have future comments or product information needs, we invite you to visit or e-mail us again at www.scjbrands.com.
Regards,
Christina
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prin
June 27th, 2006, 11:20 PM
That's what I thought... Along with that, you're not supposed to put water bottles (like evian bottles, etc) in the dishwasher because the high temp causes the chemicals to seep out of the plastic and they end up in your water. The water companies themselves say their bottles are meant for one use only and can start to degrade into the water inside after that.

mafiaprincess
June 27th, 2006, 11:25 PM
Technically there are studies saying that water and pop bottles are unsafe after a period of like 4-6 months... So that what you are drinking if it's been on the shelf too long, or stuck in your pantry is unhealthy..

Was in the Toronto Star a few months back looking at the saftey of it. Creeps me out a little. They suggested not stocking up on 24 packs of water for that reason.

joeysmama
June 28th, 2006, 06:50 AM
It makes sense, because water is a solvent and the plastic can leech into the water.

By the way--I edited that post because I was copying it from somewhere else and took out names because they weren't mine. LOL ! I was reading that this morning and it looked as if I didn't want anyone here to know my name. So secretive. :crazy:

Puppyluv
June 28th, 2006, 07:05 AM
There are boilable bags out there, but they aren't ziplocs. If you go to a stampede breakfast (really only applicable to Calgarians here, but oh well) you'll notice that they boil the scrambeled eggs in giant bags. I know I saw smaller bags in a store somewhere, but I don't remember the brand.

LibbyP
June 28th, 2006, 07:24 AM
My parents have friends that come from the USA and that's how they always cook their breakfast, and my daughter WON'T eat any eggs except that way, you have to make sure it is fully cooked though if not - runny, gross but some like it that way:yuck: like what's up with poached?:yuck:

technodoll
June 28th, 2006, 08:35 AM
so ok, the plastic thing makes total sense, it had me scratching my head too! :rolleyes: i'd try it if i could find boil-safe bags.. anyone ever ate those little pastrami-in-a-plastic-bag things, they were frozen and you plopped them in boiling water to heat? made wicked sandwiches, with mustard and rye bread... mmm!