Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

recovery period after neutering dog

gutz
June 27th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Hello everyone
This is my first time on a live "chat" website.
I am new to owning a dog, and we got our 9 month old chow chow castrated yesterday morning (approx 36 hrs ago). I find he has trouble standing. He sits 90% of the time, and other 10% he is lying down. We went to the vet tonight and he got a painkiller. luckily he started eating after the painkiller. Can someone give me some feedback how their dogs reacted to the operation in the first few days? I hate seeing my dog suffer. How long will it take until he starts acting normal again? The vet says 10-12 days for full recovery. I would appreciate some real life examples of how you coped with the recovery period.

Thanks for your help.
Signed, Really Worried

Frenchy
June 27th, 2006, 09:56 PM
I had a lot of fosters neutered.None of them had problems after the operation but they did stayed at least 24 hours at the vet before coming home.I would wait until tomorrow and see if he's feeling better.He could be sore and tired,that's normal.Try not to worry,but watch if he eats and drink.By tomorrow he should feel better.

Rottielover
June 27th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Harley was neutered at 11 months old. The day he had the operation was the day he came home. He was his normal self once the dopiness got out. I had to keep him quiet because he ripped a stich ( silly dog) and he had a staple put in. other than that he ate normal, moved normal. Neutering is a minor surgery, so there should not be any lingering affects

wdawson
June 27th, 2006, 10:35 PM
beathoven was at the vet 24 hours after..........funny looking cone on his head for a week,not one problem.

Prin
June 28th, 2006, 12:30 AM
Boo takes a while to come out of the anaesthetic. He tries to be peppy but you can see his inner eyelids are still half closed... The rest of him healed up really quickly though. As long as you trust your vet and s/he is made aware of any symptoms you feel are important, it should be ok.:)

coppperbelle
June 28th, 2006, 10:12 AM
I have golden retrievers so about an hour after they get home they are back to normal, just kidding:eek: . The first day they are kind of out of it, the next day are a little quiet but by day 3 are back to their old selves. It is so hard to keep them quiet so that the stitches will heal.

gutz
June 28th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Hello everyone
Thanks for your replies! Its reassuring to hear from all of you.
I called the vet and told him that Simba was dragging butt on the floor, he could not stand up and was not eating. They asked me to come in. They gave him a shot of Metacam and gave me a prescription. BINGO! He feels better, he can now walk normally and he is eating. What a relief!
The vet says that some dogs are more sensitive to pain. I am trying to control his mouvement, but my dog only pooh's in certain strategic areas so I have to walk 10min to get there. I hope its not too much walking for him? I ussually walk him 60-90 min a day, so this is unusual for the both of us. I cant wait until he is back to normal! I put the "cone" on him overnight and when I am at work. I dont want him to lick.
Thanks again

Prin
June 28th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Oh so you have a wuss then.:D lol Good to know now though, because whenever you get something done, he'll probably be like this again.