Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Long Distance Travelling - Cats

monkey04
June 27th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Just wanted to get some tips on travelling long distances with cats...:confused:

Neither my husband nor myself have ever travelled long distances with a cat (dogs yes, but dogs are much different). We are moving and driving out west...probably will be in the car about a week as we plan on taking our time.

What do we do with the cats? Do we just bring a litter box in the car? Has anyone ever done this? When you stop at a hotel at night, do you leave the cats in the car? Neither of my cats like harnesses/leashes, so it's going to be a struggle to let them out for a "walk" every few hours...

Anyway, just any suggestions on this would be appreciated! I know we can fly them out, but then we run into the problem of what do we do before we get there?! Leave them at the airport?

Thanks for any help!

cpietra16
June 27th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Please from someone who has travelled alot with cats and was always careful until one trip...
if you don't want to lose cats please make sure you have room to get a kennel and keep the food, litter, and water and cats all in there and do not let them out...ever...if you do, do a head count everytime you are about to leave an area. My husband travelled from BC to Quebec and when he got to NorthBay let the dog out and forgot to do a head count. By the time he got to Quebec, I realised that he lost my beautiful cat ...this was almost 3 years ago and I still regret not reminding him over and over about the headcount.

badger
June 27th, 2006, 09:40 PM
I know it can be a little traumatic, but I would fly them to your destination and get someone to pick them up. Maybe you can find a kind soul here on the board who would be prepared to take them home and keep them in a spare room until you arrive.
I think it would be much harder on them to be shut up in the car for a week or more, and complicated for you.
If you take them in the car, there are pet-friendly motels so you can move their crates into your motel room and give them a little down time overnight.
Either way, it will be stressful, but they'll get over it once you are settled.

catsnatcher-CDN
June 27th, 2006, 09:48 PM
I travelled by car with one cat from Qc to BC and it took a week. My cat slept most of the way.

Don't open the door unless he's on a leash or retained on in a crate. You don't want to lose him.

We had 7 disposable litterboxes (one for each night) that we unpacked for him in the hotel room every night and then threw away every morning.

Also, at the time, there were NO pet friendly hotels along the way, so we snuck him in a duffle bag, sprinting from car to room and then back. There was no way I was gonna leave him in a car.

My cat seemed to love it. He either slept on our laps our sat on the back window watching the view and enjoying the ride.

A couple of years later, I travelled from BC back to Qc with the same cat, the same way.

Stacer
June 27th, 2006, 10:24 PM
We travel with our cats at least once a month, but only a 2 hour drive. We put a litterbox on the floor of the back seat as well as a little dish of food and some water. We usually strap their carrier in the back seat and take the door off so they can go in and out as they please (they usually opt to snuggle together inside and sleep). We tried harnessing them on a short lead so they couldn't get into the front seat or on the floor of the driver's side, but they didn't like that very much and seemed to move around the car more when they were wearing the harnesses. We brought them in the car starting when they were kittens so they are quite used to it and I think that they would be able to handle a cross country trip. Another thing that we do is, I will sit in the back seat with the cats and keep them company, they seem to like that the best, more relaxed. I definitely think it's possible for you to take your cats in the car, you'll have to use trial and error to find out what will make your kitties comfortable during the trip. Good luck.

badger
June 28th, 2006, 12:43 AM
Disposable litter trays is a brilliant idea. From your stories, maybe this isn't so tough after all, including the ease with which you can spirit the cats into any motel room.

chico2
June 28th, 2006, 08:24 AM
How many cats are you talking about??
I take my cats to the vet,3 min's away and they howl themselves hoarse,hate the carriers,hate the car:D
If I had to travel with them,I would get a larger crate(as for dogs)if I have room in the car,hopefully you have a van or an SUV.
Never ever let them out on route,they can so easily sneak away:sad:
I would be very worried about putting them on a plane,I think I would probably keep them with me and sneak them in to the hotel-room at night,just to get them a respite from the crate,who would ever know they are there??? Again,just be careful so they don't escape out..which would be my worst nightmare.