Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sleeping woes, anyone?

technodoll
June 27th, 2006, 10:10 AM
I don't know what the matter is, but lately i just cannot fall asleep no matter how exhausted i am... and then i wake up often so the quality & quantity of sleep just sucks... and then i spend the day like a zombie, i'm tired of feeling tired! I've always had trouble sleeping but it's just getting worse lately. i don't want to take any sleeping pills, or any chemicals, and i hate herb teas... warm milk doesn't help either. any suggestions for the lady-who's-losing-it? :confused:
ps: bed is comfy, climate is good, earplugs in to drown out any small noises, but neck hurts terribly all the time. :(

jesse's mommy
June 27th, 2006, 11:23 AM
New pillow? I don't know, I'm not the most sound sleeper either. I read in another thread on here about turning your clock away from you and that's actually helped me a bit. Do you have anything going on in your life that could be stressing you out, but you don't realize it? You did just buy a house, could that be it? The excited, nervous feeling could be keeping you awake. Dr. Jesse's Mommy is in the house. That will be five cents.

jawert1
June 27th, 2006, 11:30 AM
I have terrible allergies, which keeps me from sleeping as well as I should. I've found that when one allergy med stops working, it gets worse, and mine affect me really only when I'm not upright and mobile.

technodoll
June 27th, 2006, 12:15 PM
so i'm not the only one... :rolleyes: we didn't buy the condo finally, so no stress in my life that i can think about... things are pretty hunky dory, which only makes it worse because i have nothing to blame! :mad:
if anyone has tips or tricks to falling & staying asleep... please, share the love!

Frenchy
June 27th, 2006, 12:58 PM
have you ever try to imagine just winning the lotto,what would you do with it and everything...it has been prooved that it relaxes you and you fall asleep easier.There is a kind of herbs that helps some people to fall asleep but they are not legal yet ;)

Prin
June 27th, 2006, 01:18 PM
I do the crosswords and wonderword in the gazette. Boooring! lol Tires me out.

I agree with it being stress though... Neck things, IMO, are related to stress because you just can't relax your neck muscles while sleeping. I find that those "novofoam" pillows help for that. They support your neck like crazy and let you relax. When I'm not stressed enough though, they hurt.:o

lewisw
June 27th, 2006, 01:39 PM
This might sound strange but I also find it hard to fall asleep or well USED TO .

What I did was make a 30 minute mp3 of rainforest sounds and waves splashing on the ocean and I never make it to the end of the 30 minutes before falling asleep.

Now if I can just figure a way to have the earplugs fall out of my ear after I am sleeping I won't get the nightly slingshot occurance when I wake up in the middle of the night for a nature call :)

Best,
lewis

Mahealani770
June 27th, 2006, 01:44 PM
I am a terrible sleeper. It takes me forever to fall asleep and it's even harder for me to stay asleep. I have learned to watch what I eat and drink before bed time and also to not eat/drink too close to bed time. I watch a lot of "cold case files" and "CSI" and scary movies and that stuff will scare me so bad that I'm up for half the night hearing things..lol
I am FAR from a religious person and do not attend services, but when I'm so scared that I can't go to sleep, I pray, and before I know it...I've prayed myself to sleep..lol
So, my two cents is....pray for all kinds of stuff or whatever/whomever you want to pray for and maybe you'll fall alseep that way.:fingerscr :fingerscr

Puppyluv
June 27th, 2006, 02:31 PM
My sleep is sh**ty, absolutely sh**ty! It takes me forever to fall asleep, and then when I do, I wake up every 40 min due to the meds I'm taking-they give me serious night sweats, so I feel like I'm going through menopause 30 years early.
Like Prin, I do crosswords before bed, but I do so many of them, that I dream about crosswords all night. I dream about the words, about having to do a crossword before I can get into a building, having to do one so that someone doesn't die.. it never ends.
I know my coffee consumption was causing some problems.. I was drinking about 8-12 shots of espresso a day when I worked. I've stopped that.. no coffee after 11 am, and then if I still want more, it's decaf.

Puppyluv
June 27th, 2006, 02:34 PM
What I did was make a 30 minute mp3 of rainforest sounds and waves splashing on the ocean
I don't think I would make 30 min without having to pee!!!

technodoll
June 27th, 2006, 02:41 PM
i get sooo jealous when i hear my BF soundly sleeping less than 3 minutes after he hits the pillow :mad: NO FAAIR! it's like my body weighs a ton, i'm comfy and want to drift off... but my mind won't switch off. i read boring stuff before bed and cannot keep my eyes open, but when the lights are off... i can't sleep and get p*ssed because i know i badly need the sleep, so that makes me even more awake... LOL. i also love Spider Solitaire on my laptop, it's mindless... i just can't figure it out. :confused:

i saw this report on the news the other day that said people who get less sleep (the average needed for good health is 8 hours/ night, OMG!) tend to gain & keep weight more easily, suffer more depression, etc! and that the average canadian was very sleep deficient... leading to many health & mental problems. :eek:

ok then... where is the secret remedy... lewis, i want that MP3_file! pretty please :D

Prin
June 27th, 2006, 02:47 PM
They say not to do anything but sleep in your bed too... Reading, or just staying in bed awake can train your body somehow that beds aren't for sleeping in... So they say.

technodoll
June 27th, 2006, 03:00 PM
yes, whole bedroom should be for sleep only. i can only read about 5 mins in bed then my eyes close... but brain stays awake :evil: many nights i just give up and go to the kitchen to have some cereal & read a book, seems to help... i sleep better with a full tummy, is this normal?

lewisw
June 27th, 2006, 03:04 PM
I don't think I would make 30 min without having to pee!!!
Puppyluv thats so funny one of my friends who had trouble sleeping had the same problem at first but now swears by it. He even went and bought a cheep player just for the mp3 soundtrack :)

Lewis

lewisw
June 27th, 2006, 03:06 PM
i get sooo jealous when i hear my BF soundly sleeping less than 3 minutes after he hits the pillow :mad: NO FAAIR! it's like my body weighs a ton, i'm comfy and want to drift off... but my mind won't switch off. i read boring stuff before bed and cannot keep my eyes open, but when the lights are off... i can't sleep and get p*ssed because i know i badly need the sleep, so that makes me even more awake... LOL. i also love Spider Solitaire on my laptop, it's mindless... i just can't figure it out. :confused:

i saw this report on the news the other day that said people who get less sleep (the average needed for good health is 8 hours/ night, OMG!) tend to gain & keep weight more easily, suffer more depression, etc! and that the average canadian was very sleep deficient... leading to many health & mental problems. :eek:

ok then... where is the secret remedy... lewis, i want that MP3_file! pretty please :D

Technodoll, I know I'm not alowed to post the link here so tonight when I get home I will upload it to my website as it is a huge file (HOPE you have cable modem access) and pm you a download link.

Lewis

Skryker
June 27th, 2006, 03:11 PM
You might also check online for recordings with binaural beat technology. It's weird and complex to explain, but basically, it changes your brain-wave patterns. I had one designed specifically for peaceful sleep that worked like a charm-loaned it to someone and never got it back.:mad:

One company that does them is The Monroe Institue. I think they are called Hemi-sync or something like that. Kind of expensive, but worth it if you are a chronic insomniac.

technodoll
June 27th, 2006, 03:13 PM
I know I'm not alowed to post the link here so tonight when I get home I will upload it to my website as it is a huge file (HOPE you have cable modem access) and pm you a download link

oh! thank you sooo much lewis :p and yes i have HS internet at home, I'll be fine. aaah. can't wait to try it out... :p

dtbmnec
June 27th, 2006, 04:10 PM
You could always try a frying pan to the head :p

Make it cast iron and you should be out for days :p

lol

I'm currently experiencing the complete opposite of this....I sleep and sleep and sleep....I think it has to do with my low iron count...

I really have no other suggestions....if you didn't mind an herbal thing once in a while there's this stuff I used once called Valerian root (I think) and it just relaxes your entire body.....had the best sleep ever using that....only had two and used them far far apart from each other but wow....and the best part was I only slept for 8 hours :)

Megan

chico2
June 27th, 2006, 05:16 PM
I can usually fall asleep,after reading for an hour,but wake up at least 4 times in the night:sad:
The cats don't bother me,they go to bed when I do,get up when I do...I have seriously been thinking of trying Sleep-ease or something like that:(

Frenchy
June 27th, 2006, 08:17 PM
Maybe it's just stress about the condo,when you were thinking of buying it.Sometimes stress hits you weeks later.

technodoll
June 27th, 2006, 09:55 PM
what a funny coincidence... look at the news story i just saw tonight: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13580699/

Can't sleep? Try changing your behavior
New study suggests therapy may trump sleeping pills to beat insomnia

pamha
June 27th, 2006, 11:00 PM
I go through insomniac periods a couple of times a year. Once I break it with a couple of good nights sleep its usually over for a few months. Anyway, what I did last week was move my pillows down to the foot of the bed and was able to sleep that way. I think I was so peeved at DH, one of those who falls asleep instantly, and snores, and flings his limbs over me, that I needed to get away from him a bit.
He`s been away for a few days and I`ve been sleeping happily in my normal position. Hope it still works when he gets back tomorrow.
Its worth a try, can`t hurt anyway.

Skryker
June 28th, 2006, 07:57 AM
I can usually fall asleep,after reading for an hour,but wake up at least 4 times in the night:sad:
The cats don't bother me,they go to bed when I do,get up when I do...I have seriously been thinking of trying Sleep-ease or something like that:(

Just a warning if you do try anything with Valerian in it-actually, 2 warnings. First, it's close enough to catnip that the cats will try and get it off of you :D.
Second, Valerian gives you wickedly vivid dreams and I've never seen that warning on any bottle. I mean, really, really vivid and odd dreams that you remember well after you wake up. My husband just chimed in with "Fish climbing ladders and talking to you" dreams. Weird. I'd think it was just me if he didn't have the same reaction.

chico2
June 28th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Skryker,I am definetly not a"pill-for-everything"person anything I take really affects me.
Years ago,I took some"Melatonin"(I think it was called)and I had horrible,very vivid nightmares,which left me even more tired than before,so anything I take would have to be very mild.

Skryker
June 28th, 2006, 09:59 AM
chico, I'm not big on medicating everything either. But I have always had sleep issues and they have been periodically bad enough for me to try herbal sleep remedies. My husband is the same. We both tried the valerian years ago when we both worked nights and the building we lived in was being refaced. Pretty had to sleep when they are chiselling concrete off the outside walls (especially the day they did right beneath our bedroom window:eek: ). There have been a few other times that I took valerian to get one good night's sleep after a couple of weeks of not much sleep.

It does work, and the dreams aren't nightmares, just very, very strange and vivid. And no groggy wakeup, either.

Dog Dancer
June 29th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Technodoll, sorry you're having trouble sleeping - that sucks for sure. I'd be afraid to wear earplugs because I wouldn't hear the dogs if they came to try and wake me for something. Intruder alert barks yes, but they're very quiet with their night time requests. But I think you hit the nail on the head yourself in post #4 "Share the love" I think the boyfriend has to help out there, but puts me to sleep every time:D Just nicely let him know, if you can't sleep neither can he....

CyberKitten
June 29th, 2006, 02:02 PM
I've never been a good sleeper ever -esp if I am awake after midnight! I have tried various meds - sometimes the best are not the scripts either but if there is an underlying cause, it might be worthwhile to see your doctor. That said, sometimes the best thing is to do something else like reading (nothing too stimulating). Or, if your body biorythem is out of whack (which happens to me when I travel on occasion with time zones et al, I try melatonin and it works quite well for me.) But before trying anything like that, I would talk to your doctor!!

Have you ever tried relaxation exercises? I was at a hotel recently that had some construction and they provided a so called relaxation CD but I did not attempt it.

Sometimes too when we are overtired, we cannot sleep either. Try to think good happy thougts - where you are relaxed.

But the comments already posted are accurate - most of us in NA do not get enough sleep.

technodoll
June 29th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Sometimes too when we are overtired, we cannot sleep either.

one would be tempted to think the contrary, eh? but it's so true... i'm hoping to catch up on sleep next week, time for vacation by the sea... :) Last night, happily, BF admitted he was exhausted too so we made a big effort to be in bed before midnight (lights out!), relaxed by hot shower, nice A/C in the bedroom - doggies loooove that too - and even took a Tylenol before bed to ward off neck pains... am happy to report a pretty good night's sleep, no wacky dreams and no endless tossing and turning. i have NO idea why some nights are OK while most aren't, but i'll take it, i'll take it! :D

it's pretty amazing though, when you start talking to people and ask them if they are getting enough sleep or good quality sleep: most will say "no way". wonder if our ancestors suffered the same woes? :confused:

Luvmypit
June 29th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Nope I think the way we live these days in Canada and the US is going to kill us slowly by stress. People have too much on their minds these days. Just being a mom and working is like an impossible feat and kudos to those that have kids and work. All you think about is what you didnt do, what you did and what you need to do all night. If there only was a switch.
I have been having an ok sleep lately. I usually have about 1 week of not so good sleeping a month otherwise I am pretty good.

I did though have a terrible dream last night that some woman was trying to run me over on my front lawn with a pointy shaped car all the while calling me Bi#$@ . WEIRD!

technodoll
June 29th, 2006, 02:53 PM
I did though have a terrible dream last night that some woman was trying to run me over on my front lawn with a pointy shaped car all the while calling me Bi#$@ . WEIRD

and if you even TRIED to analyse that dream, you'd lose sleep for a few more nights, LOL! :party: was the car pink? LOL LOL