Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hardwood floors smell like pee

joeysmama
June 26th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Joey had a habit of slipping away into the living room from time to time and making a piddle. Cooper is not quite so prone to household accidents but every now and then.......

Of course I clean them up well and wash the area. I haven't used a product like Nature's Miracle though, or anything that is said to deter him from going in the same place.

What do you all recommend? We're having a muggy rainy week and every time I walk past my living room it just smells like pee pee.:yuck:

It doesn't matter that I've recently washed the floor. The dampness just brings out the odor again. The only thing I can think of is to put my son's dirty socks in there. It's the only odor strong enough to mask the one already there.;)

jessi76
June 27th, 2006, 09:00 AM
what type of wood floor do you have? hard wood? pergo? etc... I have soft pine floors, with cracks between the boards... I'd worry that pee got under the boards. and if that's the case, I honestly have no clue how to get rid of the smell. You may be able to call a flooring company and ask what they'd recommend. the floor may ultimately need refinishing. Be careful what you use on the floor, it may ruin the finish and damage the wood.

I know what you mean about the muggy days though. Often on muggy/damp days I can smell my musty basement... blech! I put boxes of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda (the type you put in your fridge) in places I notice it the most, and I also use Febreeze.

joeysmama
June 27th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Thanks for your reply Jessi. I have hardwood floors and they actually are very due for a refinishing so at this point it doesn't matter all that much about the finish. I don't want to make them look a LOT worse, but they are worn. (I wasn't the strictest of moms and actually let my daughter practice her tap dancing in the house.:cool:)

But because it's the first room off the foyer I like it to make a nice impression but ewww, on a muggy day I feel as though I should throw a urinal cake in there. :yuck:

I think I'll pick up some Nature's Miracle and try the Febreeze in the meantime. Doesn't Ed Begley Jr. have a product that's supposed to be pretty good or did I make that up?

happycats
June 27th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Maybe try sprinkling the baking soda all over the floor, sweep it all over (to get in all the cracks), then vacuum it up.
Jessi is right baking soda is a wonderful thing (I buy the big boxes of it) I use it in the laundry if something gets pee on it:o or for smelly laundry in general.

jessi76
June 27th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Doesn't Ed Begley Jr. have a product that's supposed to be pretty good or did I make that up?

isn't he a B-movie actor?!?!

In addition to Nature's Miracle, there's also Zero-Odor, and Unine Gone or Urine Off. I'd look them all up online, and try one that will be safe for your wood floors.

good luck. if you find something that works, you should post it. I'm sure MANY members here have both wood floors and pet accidents/odors.

jessi76
June 27th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Maybe try sprinkling the baking soda all over the floor, sweep it all over (to get in all the cracks), then vacuum it up.

good idea! even if you don't get it all up w/ the vacuum, the next time you wash the floor, it may foam a little, which CLEANS GREAT! in fact, it's how I deep-clean my cat's litterboxes. When I change the entire litter out, I mix baking soda & hot water, it gets fizzy/foamy, let boxes soak, scrub, then rinse out, and dry in the sun. PEE smell goes bye-bye.