Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

montreal member meetup?

technodoll
June 26th, 2006, 09:02 PM
would any montrealer forum members be interested in a fall picnic somewhere on the island? of course it would be for the dogs, nothing formal, just shake paws and share some snacks after the summer heat has passed us by... so many wonderful people and beautiful dogs here! :o

Prin
June 26th, 2006, 09:30 PM
Last week, I would have said yes, for sure, but this week.... I didn't realize your doggy wasn't neutered and Boo definitely doesn't get along with dogs who aren't neutered (most neutered males don't). So for his safety, I'd have to say no, unfortunately. It sucks because I'm sure a picnic would have been fun otherwise.:sorry:

technodoll
June 26th, 2006, 10:07 PM
prin no worries, my boy doesn't go around snarling and wanting to fight, LOL! he's veeery good and if leashed and by my side, and no aggro dogs come "in his face" so to speak, it's all cool. i'm the alpha, not him :) anyways i assume the meeting would not be in a dog park, so every dog would need to be leashed... dogs who do not like each other (and that is their perogative) would just be kept apart... anyways, it's just an idea i launched out there. :p

catsnatcher-CDN
June 26th, 2006, 10:33 PM
Sounds like fun but my Max also reacts to unneutered dogs, so he can't come :(

Can I bring a cat?

Just kidding.

technodoll
June 26th, 2006, 10:40 PM
sounds like all those boys are jealous! :D

kidding.

it did bring to mind that scene in Dr Doolittle, when a dog is brought in for neutering and you can hear him "oh no, no no no dear god please noooo!" :D

Prin
June 26th, 2006, 10:58 PM
Hey, if there are enough of us with ball-haters, maybe we can schedule a no-ball party. :D Kidding, techno. :clown: We'll all pitch in and get him some pain-free laser surgery. :thumbs up

As long as your dog doesn't react at all when Boo comes over and puts his head on your guy's neck, then it'll be ok. If he moves or looks at him funny, Boo won't be happy.

technodoll
June 26th, 2006, 11:10 PM
we would definitely have to keep both dogs a few feet from each other, no physical contact... my boy, unfortunately, does not tolerate any display of "dominance" from other dogs, no matter the size, breed, age or hormone level... and this is not about him being intact, it's about him wanting to be King Boss Of Everyone :mad: a wonderful trait of akitas! and of a ton of other working breeds... but for an akita, he is VERY good with 75% of boys :) PS: i have never seen him "start" a fight - he will not be the first to physically snap - but he will finish one and no way am i allowing that to happen :eek: and his best friend is an intact pitbull... and twice this weekend we went swimming at my brother's place and he got along fine with the resident Pyr, because there was no dominance issue... all four dogs loose, running, playing, sharing treats and toys... and they only just met. :highfive:
how about the men hold the boys, and the girls relax and share a cold drink and talk admire all the girls playing together? LOL

jiorji
June 26th, 2006, 11:11 PM
If he moves or looks at him funny, Boo won't be happy.

lol that's so matcho male of him:evil:

if i had a dog i'd go but ...once again...i can't take part in this activity as there's no rent-a-dog places

Prin
June 26th, 2006, 11:16 PM
Jemma can play with the intact ones... She loves the intact ones. You never see her play so hard as when she's trying to make Boo jealous by playing with doggies stinking of testosterone.:evil:

jiorji, you can still come... Just bring treats.:D

technodoll
June 26th, 2006, 11:22 PM
yes, everyone is welcome! please! :)

and not to get into a "neutered vs intact" debate but... the most aggressive dogs i know are ALL neutered... it's like they're pissed at the world or something, LOL! :p or maybe their owners figure that if the testicles are removed, their dog is automatically safe, and thus don't correct bad behavior when it crops up... dominant dogs will remain dominant even after being neutered, it's their personality.. of course testosterone amplifies dominant behavior, but it is not the root cause. we are speutering our pets to avoid more litters being born into an over-full world, not because we have a problem with dogs fighting each other all over the place :confused:

Prin
June 26th, 2006, 11:34 PM
Funny- I'd say the opposite. Of all the aggressive dogs I've met, most weren't neutered.

Frenchy
June 27th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Bailey is the same,he's neutered and very submissive but as soon as I get a uneutered foster,his head has to go on the other dog's neck or tries to hump him,not with every male,but often.I,unfortunatly don't think I would go,alone with 3 dogs....hey,who's that girl who's getting dragged at the end of the leash,eating dirt,oh yes,that's Frenchy! I don't mean my guys pull,but if they see other dogs they will.

technodoll
June 27th, 2006, 11:59 AM
....hey,who's that girl who's getting dragged at the end of the leash,eating dirt,oh yes,that's Frenchy

LOL i say harness that energy, put on rollerblades and save on gas! :D wow... funny how i keep hearing (and experiencing!) that it's not the intact males that are the problem... it's the neutered ones who have to challenge them and start fights :confused:

hey it was just an idea anyways... s'ok if it goes nowhere, the virtual world is pretty cool! :thumbs up

for kicks... my intact boy with a 2-yr old neutered Pyr, just met that day, not a problem in the world:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j129/technodoll/cookies3.jpg

..and with an intact pitbull, they're best friends:

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5ce30b3127cce94dfed03865d00000015108BauGbZoxbi

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5ce30b3127cce94dfedb407da00000016108BauGbZoxbi

and just lounging around at the dog park (that is a female humping him, he's a total pushover for girls!):

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5da01b3127cce916f2e10e35d00000016108BauGbZoxbi

As long as no dog comes "in his face" looking for trouble, my boy is a total pacifist.. he has NEVER humped a dog or felt the need to exerce his dominance over other males. however he will not tolerate another male challenging him for top dog status and will physically put them back in their place if they do... that's where the Responsible Ownership part steps in. I have to make sure it doesn't get that far, period.

anyhoo... anyone who wants to meet the beanies can always PM me :D

Frenchy
June 27th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Oh great technodoll,keep teasing me with that first pic :cool: maybe if I get a friend to come with me and help me with the dogs we could go to the picnic. If it's in the fall,it will give me time to organize.

technodoll
June 27th, 2006, 12:14 PM
LOL! sorry Frenchy, i forgot! :D

i could invite my bro & his dogs... :rolleyes: but he's probably too short or too loud for you, ya know? photos can only say so much! he has a big heart & sense of humor though, i'm sure there would be lots of laughter.

let's see what the autumn brings? :)

Prin
June 27th, 2006, 12:15 PM
No such thing as a too short guy when he's all buff like that.;)

Frenchy
June 27th, 2006, 07:11 PM
Too short!! I'm 5"2 98 pounds.But enough about me,he looks like in his twenty's and I'm 36 (but I look real young :p ) I was thinking more about Puppyluv and those cute younger girls here for him. Aren't I an :angel: ?

technodoll
June 27th, 2006, 07:21 PM
LOL! yes, an angel :rolleyes: OK my bro would not be too short then, and hey he's 29... mentally sometimes 16, and sometimes 40. depends on his mood! but i'm the older sister (also 36!) so it's hard for me to see him as "yummy", ya know? :yuck: he he he! i think if he saw your photo frenchy, he would swoon :p

giggle! :crazy:

Rottielover
June 27th, 2006, 07:33 PM
I am definetly in, and also one of the ones who must keep there dog back. Harley is like your male tech...He does not like in your face dogs, neutered or non. He is great with females, but males i do not trust him. So he will be at my feet the whole time in a down stay. LOL....unless to swim, then I can give him alittle more leeway.

technodoll
June 27th, 2006, 07:39 PM
terrific! :D

we'll all make sure our boys are leashed, supervised & well-behaved, and if some dogs take a liking to each other, they can share some kisses (there will be girls there, right?). it should be a great photo op! :highfive:

cpietra16
June 27th, 2006, 07:44 PM
Winnie's a girl and depending on when and where she'll be there....she is a girl although she thinks she's a male :D ....actually everyone does:D

catsnatcher-CDN
June 27th, 2006, 07:45 PM
OMG!! Did I read this thread right? 'Cuz it sounds like we can all make it ...but without our pets! ;)

technodoll
June 27th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Did I read this thread right? 'Cuz it sounds like we can all make it ...but without our pets!

well.. it's not a bad idea actually! we could sit somewhere and have margaritas and share photos and stories of our furkids?? what do you think? :party:

Frenchy
June 27th, 2006, 07:57 PM
WOOOOHOOOO,margaritas,corona,white whine.Actually,Bailey is not a threat to any dogs.I was wondering what the heck he was doing putting his head on the foster's neck.When someone mention to me he was being dominant,I was laughing so hard I cried!Bailey,dominant,hummmm,don't think so.Daisy is the dominant one but never bit any of the fosters,she just has to have 2 minutes of their time to explain the house rules and then it's ok.But she is not good if on leash and meeting other dogs.She is very protective of us.But if I go with her to someone's house and there's another dog,she doesn't say anything.But yes,it would be cool to meet you all.It would be great if the Spca (Montérégie) could make another fundraiser dinner,they had alcohol!:crazy:

Puppyluv
June 27th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Count Layla and me in. She loves the boys, balls or not. She loves the girls too... but if you have a pet squirrel, don't bring it unless you want to risk it's life.

lewisw
June 27th, 2006, 09:09 PM
terrific! :D

we'll all make sure our boys are leashed, supervised & well-behaved, and if some dogs take a liking to each other, they can share some kisses (there will be girls there, right?). it should be a great photo op! :highfive:

So maybe I should bring Dani then :) She loves meeting and playing with other dogs. Any other guys planning to come ?

Stacer
June 27th, 2006, 09:56 PM
I'll drive to montreal if you bring your bro. I'll find the husband a date for the day:D I don't have a dog, but I can disguise one of the kitties!

mafiaprincess
June 27th, 2006, 10:00 PM
*jealous* Hot man, and fun people to chill with, and I'm in the wrong province *tear*

poodletalk
June 28th, 2006, 07:35 AM
It would be great if the Spca (Montérégie) could make another fundraiser dinner,they had alcohol!

It's in the works,:D but the date isn't confirmed yet.

It would be fun to meet up, maybe somewhere downtown since it's central for everyone. (Of course if we decide to leave the dogs at home.)

jiorji
June 28th, 2006, 12:12 PM
jiorji, you can still come... Just bring treats.:D

oh boy!! then I'm so there!! Maybe I'll finally get to meet ....*remembers pictures of Jemma and Boo with big teethies*...........hmm ok maybe not :evil:

I'll bring extra treats :D

Prin
June 28th, 2006, 12:35 PM
lol they only bring out the teethies when they're playing or really really angry... lol:D Kidding. They don't get angry.

Brat
June 28th, 2006, 05:25 PM
I would definitely be up for a meet :) I'm off on Fridays and Saturdays if that helps hehe