Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I wish to adopt dog from USA

sladadeso
June 26th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Hi, Does anybody here has experience with adopting grownup dogs from USA?
Friend's friends are going to elderly care home and they are looking for home for their babies: shih tzu and boxer (mom's and pop's dogs). Anyway I would love to make my family and the dogs and the sad older couple happy.
They are in Florida and we are in Nova Scotia. How complicated is the border crossing documents and other stuff? My hubby already got intimidated with it that he is sugesting to adopt some pure local dogs, but I am afraid I will always feel bad for leaving those two on American mercy (specially concerned for boxer to not end up being used for fights).
Can anybody help us PLEASE! :pawprint: :pawprint:

coppperbelle
June 26th, 2006, 07:33 PM
As long as the dogs are both up to date with vaccinations specifically rabies there should be no problem crossing the border with them. HOw did you plan on getting them to you?

cpietra16
June 26th, 2006, 07:33 PM
When we moved to Vermont from British Columbia, all we needed was a health certificate that stated that all the cats and the dog were up to date with their rabies, and other vaccinations....that was it. We crossed the border and stayed there a year until we moved to Montreal where the same documents were required.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 26th, 2006, 11:22 PM
We adopted Joey from Alaska - about a five hour flight to Vancouver. I believe we had have an up to date rabies certificate for him. It wasnt super complicated actually. Also they charge duty on dogs so just get whomoever who are adopting from to say its free (even if hes not) Also he will most likely end up still in the crate on the other end for some time until you clear him through customs.

Also they wont fly a dog over 85 degrees (cant remember the exact temperature but if its too hot they wont let them fly.

sladadeso
June 28th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Thanks guys for sharing your experience with me!
I am already having better week! ;) :thumbs up

doggirl
June 28th, 2006, 04:47 PM
sladadeso, it's actually a breeze. They need a health certificate (about $15 US) and rabies certificate. That's it. Most customs officers don't even ask to see it to be honest.

Good luck, would love to hear the update!