Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Passed the typing and math test - scheduled for another interview.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 26th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Well I passed the math test - for this job -

I got stumped on this question

Joey bought some apples and oranges. Oranges were .50 each and apples were .60 each. In total Joey bought 8 apples and oranges. The total cost was 4.10 how many apples did Joey buy.

Pretty smart too to teach Joey to shop uh!

if someone knows the formula to figure this out would love to know.

The catch to this job though is I have to go to Vancouver for 4 weeks for training. Luckily my parents live there so can stay with them. Not sure what to do with the kids and Joey - leave them with hubby or take them with me.

jesse's mommy
June 26th, 2006, 05:10 PM
6 apples
1 orange

I don't have a formula, I've just always had a math mind and it just makes sense to me.

Puppyluv
June 26th, 2006, 05:13 PM
CONGRATS!!
You were probably stumped because it wasn't fair to make you think about your fur-butt!!
let the # of apples be 'x' and the number of oranges be 'y'.
Working in cents:
50y+60x=410
x+y=8
x=8-y
50y+60*8-60y=410
-10y+480=410
-10y=-70
y=7
x=8-7
x=1
Joey bought 1 apple and 7 oranges.

Puppyluv
June 26th, 2006, 05:15 PM
6 apples
1 orange

I don't have a formula, I've just always had a math mind and it just makes sense to me.
LOL better rethink that "math mind" :p

dtbmnec
June 26th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Yay! congratulations!!! :D

Megan

jesse's mommy
June 26th, 2006, 05:16 PM
I don't think that is a fair question because we just came up with two answers. 6 apples @ .60 each is $3.60 and add 1 orange at .50 is $4.10.

jesse's mommy
June 26th, 2006, 05:19 PM
LOL better rethink that "math mind" :p

By the way, I scored 740 out of 800 on my SAT's.

Puppyluv
June 26th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Jesse's Mommy, I was kidding, but in JECM's post, it says that Joey bought 8 apples and oranges in total.... so only one answer is right.
I wasn't actually doubting your math mind, just what you did reminded me of myself soooo many times. Say an answer that you're sure is right because you didn't read the whole sentence, and then coment on your confidence in your answer. The number of times I've done that is sad.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 26th, 2006, 05:27 PM
I think I put three I finally guessed. That formula looks complicated for a non math mind such as myself -the rest were all billing questions which I dealt with all the while working for the cell phone company - oh and some basic PC questions too which I got right I am sure.

So this next step will be step 5 of this process

1 online assessment
2 automated phone interview
3 personality test online
4 typing and math test
5 in person interview -

I hope that is it - I think I have proven now that I am qualified - so will spend time studying the company I will be working for - a big utlilites company in Western Canada - someone may have heard of it. Anyways I go for the interview on Friday Morning.

Prin
June 26th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Ok, Puppyluv and Jesse's Mommy, no fighting. We're alllll good at math, in our own way. :D

The real answer is 8 apples. They tell you in the question, see?
In total Joey bought 8 applesThey were on sale. "Get 8 apples for the price of almost 7".;)

Crisis diverted.

:clown:

Good luck with the interview, Joey's mom.:highfive: :fingerscr