Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Names - How popular is yours today?

Shamrock
June 26th, 2006, 04:03 PM
http://babynamewizard.com/namevoyager/lnv0105.html

I had a little fun with this chart, as it spans the popularity of names over the last one hundred years. It's interesting how the trends change, particularly for girl's names. Old, once- popular names such as Betty, Debby, Beverly have dropped off completely, replaced by new modern choices, such as Dakota.
Others have a long and steady history of popularity.

No need to list your first name if you dont feel comfortable, but mine (Frances) apparently peaked at number nine in 1910, and has steadily declined to to a current 430 ranking. I was actually suprised it was still on the chart.:D

I had to check out all my kids names.. my grandkids.. my pets.;)
I correctly guessed that Emily was the most popular name for girls today.. dont know what it is for boys.

Do you prefer the unusual.. the old, standard names,. or modern current ones?

technodoll
June 26th, 2006, 04:17 PM
LOL! "no names starting with ... were in the top 1,000 names in any decade. Type backspace."

:thumbs up thanks, mom! now i'm a freak! LOL :D

SarahLynn123
June 26th, 2006, 04:19 PM
My name:Sarah, was ranked 5 in the 80's and 90's, and 15th in 2005.

Pretty popular name!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 26th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Neat site Shamrock. I cant get into the link but if someone wants to check mine that would be cool.

Jackie (mine)
Wesley (1st son)
Callum (2nd son)
Joey - well we all know Joey :D

jiorji
June 26th, 2006, 04:21 PM
hmm....well mine died out in 1950 it seems. They don't know what they're missing! :rolleyes:

jawert1
June 26th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Jennifer was #1 through the 70's and #2 in the 80's. It's only now at 42!! There were 6 Jennifer's in my graduating class from highschool and all but 2 of us were at the end of the alphabet, so all sat in homeroom together.

jjgeonerd
June 26th, 2006, 04:41 PM
I peaked in the 70's...ranked 26th...right about the year I was born.

Luvmypit
June 26th, 2006, 05:05 PM
Highest was ranked 96 in 1960:eek: , ranked 152 when I was born in 1980 and now is ranked 774. My name is Colleen... nice irish name...

Jackie was most popluar in the 1940's for boys and was ranked 117
girls ranked highest in 1960 at 148
and now for girls its not in the top 1000

Wesley in the 1890s was ranked 120 (where the chart starts) and was most poplular in the 1980s at 70
and now is ranked at 187

Callum was never in the top 1000 in any decade

Joey came about in the 1930s ranked at 584 most poplular in the 1970s at 221 and now is ranked 510
for female joeys only on record from the 60's to the 80's highest ranked in 1970s at 746

Shamrock
June 26th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Luvmypit.. Colleen is my daughter's name. Goes without saying I love that Irish name!

Stacer
June 26th, 2006, 05:44 PM
My name, Stacy, peaked in the 70's at 38 and currently is ranked 647. Interestingly back in the 1890s Stacy was only a boy's name and was ranked at 993, between the 1890s and 1940s it wasn't in the top 1000 at all. It was used again in the the 1940 as a boy's name and wasn't used as a girl's name until the 1950s and debuted at 407. That's a pretty cool site. Apparently my parent's named my brother, sister and I all at the peak of our name's popularity.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 26th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Thanks Luvmypit - it is no wonder we never meet anyone else named Callum- even Wesley doesnt seem all that popular. :D I had no idea that Jackie was ever a boys name - hence Jackie Gleason. :D

I bet Joey is a really popular dogs name - thats ok if its not a popular people name its ok Joey you are still special. :)

Puppyluv
June 26th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Rebecca (the name I go by) has consistently been in the top 100 for the past who knows how long. My actual name... HA HA HA HA.... I think I may be the only one who was ever named it :p

The kids I babysit, if we go to the park and I say one of their names, at least 5 kids turn their heads. Every kid has the same name now!

Dogastrophe
June 26th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Depending on the name variation, Randall (my given name) topped out at #65 in the 60's, 122 in the 70's (when I was born), and is presently at 603. Randy (name I go by) was 40, 77, 301 for 60s, 70s, and 2005, respectively.

Try typing in the first part of popular names and you get a great overlay of many names beginning with the letters you choose. Also, it's interesting to see the rise and fall of some common names, such as Brandon and Brian.

Prin
June 26th, 2006, 11:13 PM
lol Mine is on there... Beginning in the late 70s- not surprising, lol. With all the Rainbows, Rivers, Starshines etc of the 70's my name is pretty mundane, no? :D

I'm ranked 702 in the 80s, 799 in the 90s, and 738 now... Around 80 babies per million. Not too bad.:D
Prince is more popular?! :confused: But I'm still more popular than Priscilla... Oh those poor Priscilla girls.

I actually found a girly on the net with my exact name (first and last). How weird is that?!

SnowDancer
June 26th, 2006, 11:15 PM
I was pretty certain that plain old "Linda" - with an "i" peaked in 1940s and 1950s - I was born in 1950. There had been a famous singer who died in 1948 who had a huge hit regarding "dreaming about Linda". Linda is now well down on the list 400 and something. Not surprised.

glasslass
June 27th, 2006, 01:25 AM
I had problems too. Can someone check "Dodie" for me?

Prin
June 27th, 2006, 01:28 AM
"no names starting with Dodie were in the top 1,000 names in any decade."
You're just rare.;)

mafiaprincess
June 27th, 2006, 02:32 AM
Laura in 1890 was 34..
in 1960 was 16..
in 2005 was 145.

stinkytaz
June 27th, 2006, 05:38 AM
What a good link - you could spend hours typing names....no thats bad im at work:mad:

OntarioGreys
June 27th, 2006, 08:38 AM
Maria, is in the top 50 pretty much since I was born, I kind of figured it would have tapered off

Melei'sMom
June 27th, 2006, 11:17 AM
My name (Teresa) has been in the top since the beginning of the graph toppping out in the 60's at 25 and dropping to 52 when my mom chose it. Now it is 459.

All 3 of my sons' first names have not been in the top 1000 ever. but the name(s) my young 2 use(middle) are on the chart. Jared was 97 in the 90's and is now 137 and Jes only shows up as Jess or Jesse. My oldest (Harm)uses his first name and he doesn't know anyone outside the family with the same name.

My Daughter's name debuted on the chart in the 70's at 887 rising to 72 by the time we used it and is now at 32. I guess Destiny isn't all the origional.

Hubby's isn't on the chart either,(since the youngest and him share a name) but he goes by the popular 'Randy' which seems to always be fairly popular.

And now that I have typed in about 40 or so names af all the people I am related to...I really should get back to work...maybe:evil:

HunterXHunter
June 27th, 2006, 11:37 AM
Wow, Glen is a rare common name...
I'm not even in the Top 1000 in 2004+
My name peaked in the 30's-50's averaging about 140 in ranking...

EDIT: Hunter's name is ranked 41st in 2003 and 53rd in 2005

Puppyluv
June 27th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Layla didn't appear on the scene until the 1960's and then didn't become popular until about 2000. Now all of a sudden it's at 143 (a big jump considering that 8 years ago it was 913)

jesse's mommy
June 27th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Let's see, Kelly:

1950: 205
1960: 30
1970: 14
1980: 29
1990: 60
2003: 125

My honey, Jim has been in the top 20 since 1880.

Frenchy
June 27th, 2006, 12:44 PM
I'm not in the top 1000 anymore :eek:

LianneCatherine
June 27th, 2006, 02:42 PM
My name, Lianne, apparently was never in the top 1000. Ah well, I'll just have to settle with being unique! ;)

AliSam
June 27th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Gee, no surprise. My name was #1 in the 60s - Lisa - It was #6 in the 70s when I was born.

dogmelissa
June 28th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Ummmm....how freaked out am I that my name, Melissa, peaked at 850th most popular in the 1970s.... FOR BOYS??? Ok, I know there were a lot of drugs, but how do you mistake a boy for a girl and call him a *very* feminine name? Or am I out to lunch that Melissa is a very feminine name?

As for girls names... peaked at #3 in the 80's (which I can attest to as I'm a baby of the 80s--just!), and is now at 104. There's too many of us in the world... please pick something else! :P Or change the spelling! It was very frustrating growing up and having 3-4 Melissa's in every class and not knowing if you were in trouble or getting called on or not.

In general though, I sorta prefer a weird mixture. I don't like a lot of the "modern" names, but I also don't like the traditionally popular names, like mine. I have no idea what I'll name my kids if I ever have them.
I think one thing that a lot of parents forget is to consider possible insults that can be created from their child's name. A little boy I know is named Morgan Cox.... he's called Mo for short; Mo Cox? C'mon, that's just mean! My sister went to school with a kid named Harry Ball. No word of a lie. Gotta think about those things!!

Melissa

dogmelissa
June 28th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Neat site Shamrock. I cant get into the link but if someone wants to check mine that would be cool.

Jackie (mine)
Wesley (1st son)
Callum (2nd son)
Joey - well we all know Joey :D

Jackie: peaked in the 1950s for boys at 129. Has not been in the top 1000 for boys since 2003. For girls: spiked between 1920-1940 and then rose steadily to 148th in the 60's. Dropped off pretty quick after that and was out of the top 1000 by 2003 as well.

Wesley: Picture an M with the left-side hump being lower than the right. The peak on the left side being between 1910-1930 and at a rank of 135. Then it dropped to a low of 161 in the 40s and came back up to 97 in the 80s. In 2004 it was at 184 and 2005, 187. (Boys only, no listings for girls).

Callum: Not in the top 1000 in any decade.

Joey: Peaked in the 70s at 221 for boys, dropped to 493 in '04 and 510 in '05. For girls: Peaked at 746 in the 70s and as out of top 1000 by 80s.

HTH, keep trying the site, it's cool.
Melissa

CyberKitten
June 29th, 2006, 02:22 PM
My first name - not the one I use - is an Irish one and was unpronouncable to my friends at the French Catholic school I attended so I went by my second which might have been popular in the 50's - lol (but I don't know, have to check tht site). My sister had one of the most popular boomer names and another sister also had a popular name. Not sure what my folks were thinking - and this biz of naming someone and using the 2nd name, arrrrrrrrghhhhhh!! (Causes so much confusion!)

KarineB
June 29th, 2006, 02:29 PM
My name is not in the top 1000 in any decade. How sad is that :D

erykah1310
June 29th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Erika ranked 95 in 1990
But only 77 in 1980 when i was born, and is dying off now!

papillonmama
June 29th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Okay, my name, peaked in the 50's, but it was spelled differently, with an extra r and I have a feeling I know why, anyone hear of someone called Ringo STARR?? LOL. There was a variation too, Staria??? I've never heard of anyone with that name.
Once I had a music VJ accuse me of not using my real name, because it was her name. She actually told my friend that, he just nodded and walked slowly away. I thought the last part was cute, I could actually imagine him slowly backing out of the room.

Starr rank in the 1950's 932. Veeeery interesting.:cool:

Melei'sMom
July 2nd, 2006, 12:22 PM
and this biz of naming someone and using the 2nd name, arrrrrrrrghhhhhh!! (Causes so much confusion!)

Not really. The only time my son's first name is used is for legal stuff. Most of their friends don't even know that they have a different first name and could you imagine the confusion if I had 2 Randy's in the house? Naming sons for their Father's is an long standing tradition that we decided to arry on and used imagination to deal with it. At least we gave them thier 'own' name too. My husband is randolph and his brother is Robert. Neither has middle names and their Father was Robert Randolph. Good thing they don't have another Brother! what would they have named him? ;)

Prin
July 2nd, 2006, 12:32 PM
My dad goes by his middle name too- nobody knows, really..

And when I moved to the city when I was 11, the school board told me it would be better to go by a middle name because the kids would make fun of my name... And then in CEGEP, I tried my best to change it back and they wouldn't let me. Finally, in University, I had a guy working on it full time. lol I didn't want somebody else's name on my diploma but the Qc govt just didn't let me switch back.

Turns out Princess went to school from k-5 and then Jen appeared out of nowhere and did grade 6 through cegep, so Princess wasn't eligible to attend university (obviously..). The problem is, the govt gave my parents 3 "code permanents" for me, one on each certificate of eligibility, so in picking a different name halfway through, I changed files and persons...

Anyway, after a lot of hard work, my guy managed to merge all the pieces of me into one whole person with one file. :D

The moral of the story: don't change your name because the school board has a problem with it. ;)

And no kid every made fun of my name- other than "HA HA your name is Princess." Yeah, so? :confused: But adults have the hardest time with it.. It's just a name, people!

So yeah, what's in a name?:D

Melei'sMom
July 2nd, 2006, 12:52 PM
No school confusion in my sons' futures. Now you register your kid with all legal names and they have a 'perfered name' section to fill out that is used by the teachers but does not affect how they fill out forms and such.

CyberKitten
July 2nd, 2006, 01:27 PM
Prin, your post made me wonder about all those kids named by ppl in the 60's - Sunshine and Peace and etc. Granted, it worked well for Picabo Street, lol

My brother also goes by his middle name. My dad's is hisfirst just like my mom's is my first. I have met others in the same situation. I finally had my birthcerticate and Passport changed to reflect my 2nd name. My dad has four names - and the first one is his grandmother's madien name so his dentists (who is a Francophone) calls him the man with two last names, lol

Shamrock
July 2nd, 2006, 03:00 PM
Prin, Who would have guessed this name change would ever cause such a headache! Talk about a legal snafu.... glad you were able to sort it all out.

Babies being named for family members is an very old tradition.. not sure how popular this is today.

My mom was named for her aunt,.I was named after my mother, and when our daughter was born, my husband was insistent on using it for our baby.

I was not in favour of this, felt it would confusing - mom, daughter and grand-daughter all named Frances.:rolleyes: And though I appreciated its history.. I never really cared that much for the name.
Agreed to this.. but very reluctantly.

I started using her second name within a few months, got my way in the end ;).. Colleen became her name. At school registration, I simply used this as her chosen name, no problems ever arose. Very few know the difference.

Twenty years later... when my daughter-in-law gave birth to her first daughter, she chose this name too, to my great suprise.. and honour.

So now.. this spans 5 generations- a hundred years.
Guess it's in the family to stay.. might go on a hundred more.:D

Puppyluv
July 2nd, 2006, 03:15 PM
I was named after my great grandfather... well sort of.... My dad THOUGHT he was naming me after my ggf, and then he told his mom what they named me, and my grandmother told him "that's not your grandfathers name....." so well, I have a unique non-name that had the good intention of being a tradition.
I use my middle name, mostly because my first name is French, and apparantly waaaaaayyy too hard for the Albertans to pronounce... through in an apostrophe and it gets extremely confusin:confused: they treat it like an initial instead of a sound.:rolleyes:

CyberKitten
July 2nd, 2006, 03:51 PM
It seems to be a time honoured tradition in my family - my grandfather was named for his mother's maiden name and his brother for his grandmother's maiden name. I rather like the names. And while my great grandmother and her mother are long gone, their names live on. It makes us think of them. One of the names is Coleman - if anyone here is familiar with the Hfx Explosion, Vince Coleman - who was the dispatcher who gave his life trying to make sure the trains coming into the city did not. Here is a CBC vignette on it - tho it is not entirely accurate - his wife says he would have never left the station so that is purely fiction and he would have thought he was just doing his job. Also, the message is wrong there too. He actually wrote "Munition ships on fire. Making for Pier 6. Goodbye." Some have added boys to the end but that is not accurate anyway. But he is a hero to my family anyway!!

http://www.histori.ca/minutes/minute.do?id=10203

Prin
July 2nd, 2006, 05:33 PM
Yeah, I got one aunt and two grandmothers' names and my mom decided at the last minute that she wanted me to have a name that was mine... Supposedly, it's illegal in Qc to name a kid something that isn't in the book of saints, so my mom lied and said it was my grandmother's name. Now I can pass it on as I please and it's all legal.:D

I like my name though. I have an issue with each of the three others that makes me glad I don't have to use any of them. And if people have a problem with my name, they can call me Prin.:)

I like Frances. It's an old name- not trendy.. :thumbs up

CyberKitten
July 2nd, 2006, 07:03 PM
Mon Dieu! Or should that be sacre bleu! Surely that law re the Saints is changed by now. :)

glasslass
July 2nd, 2006, 08:34 PM
Oh! We're talking about REAL names. To be honest, Dodie is a nickname although that's what I've been called since I came home from the hospital and my older brother called me a dolly - but couldn't pronounce it! Only time I use my REAL name is when I write checks or something needs to be legal, like the deed on our house. My uncle was named after my grandfather. His son, my cousin, was the "III". His son was the "IV". Unfortunately, "IV" was killed in a motorcycle accident. I guess the name stops there.

Prin
July 2nd, 2006, 09:59 PM
Mon Dieu! Or should that be sacre bleu! Surely that law re the Saints is changed by now. :)
I don't know- I remember in the late 90's a couple had to go to court to get their kid Tomás and that's not how it's spelt in the "book". I don't know if you have ever read Josh Freed's columns but he keeps up with the name things (that's where I read about the parents fighting for the name...).

jesse's mommy
July 2nd, 2006, 10:02 PM
You seriously can't name your kid moonbeam or something crazy like that because it's not in the "Book of Saints"?

Prin
July 2nd, 2006, 10:05 PM
That's the way I know it... It is to protect the kids from wacky names that will haunt them forever...

jesse's mommy
July 2nd, 2006, 10:08 PM
Wow, I thought y'all were joking. I mean, when I have a kid I'm not going to name it rocketship or anything like that, but who I am to stop someone else? Hey if you want to name your kid Pilot Inspektor Riesgraf-Lee then go ahead! (That's the name actor Jason Lee gave his kid.)