Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Adult Cat Frequently Vomits after Dry Food

slordwardlaw
June 26th, 2006, 12:30 PM
I have 2 cats, and one of them frequently (not always) vomits immediately after eating dry food. I've tried giving them IAMs, Eukanuba Sensitive Stomach, and most recently, Purina ProPlan Extra Care for Sensitive Skin and Stomach. As an experiment, I've been feeding them only canned for for about 10 days and Luna hasn't vomited once. The obvious answer is to give them only canned - the problem is that I am not always at home to feed them and can't afford a pet sitter every day. What I hope to find is an alternative to canned food that could be left in the bowl so that a sitter only needs to come every other day when I vacation. Any suggestions?

jessi76
June 26th, 2006, 12:51 PM
I would think the only thing that wouldn't go bad being left out all day would be dry food. Iams, Eukanuba, and Purina are NOT great foods (contrary to popular belief) I'd try some of the higher quality foods, such as Wellness, Solid Gold, Chicken Soup for the cat lover's soul, Merrick, just to name a few. It could be an intolerance to an ingredient found in the few foods you've tried so far. The higher quality foods have higher quality ingredients and LESS fillers.

Shamrock
June 26th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Hi and welcome to the site!
I had this same problem some years ago. One cat did well on the dry food I was feeding ( Royal Canin) but when I got a second kitty, found he frequently vomited it back up. A switch to a better brand, one with no corn content solved the issue.

Only the dry food can be left out for extended periods, but would also agree with the reccomendation to try a better quality food. It may well emiminate this problem and will be a overall health benefit to both kitties.

As an aside, this is just my own personal feeling, but when on vacation, and kitties are home alone, I believe a check on them at least once a day is necessary - just to make sure nothing is amiss.

chico2
June 26th, 2006, 04:15 PM
You are not alone in thinking the food you feed your cats is ok,but it's not!
Go to a pet-supply store and get either one of what Jessi suggested.
My cats right now free-feed on Solid Gold,but their main meals are canned.
I agree,once every other day is not enough,cats could get in to all kinds of trouble on their own.
If a person comes in every day,I cannot see why they cannot feed your cats canned food as well as filling up the dry food and water.

doggirl
June 26th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Two of the 3 foods you've fed are not great quality, contrary to popular belief. Go to a veterinarian's office and pick up some Hill's i/d feline, or Medical Gastro formula. Some cats have sensitive GI tracts and can't eat a low-mid quality diet.

I would not place too much faith in the wet food/dry food idea - I have worked with cats like this, and there may be improvement with wet over dry, but it doesn't tend to be as reliable as a good quality prescription diet.

Prin
June 27th, 2006, 12:24 AM
Umm... Hill's is not the best either. Their foods are loaded with corn and fillers and are way overpriced. Definitely not near the quality of a good holistic food, like the ones Jessi suggested. Check out their websites and compare the ingredients for yourself: Solid Gold (http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products/), Merrick (http://www.merrickpetcare.com/store/), Wellness (http://www.omhpet.com/cats/index.html), Chicken Soup (http://www.chickensoupforthepetloverssoul.com/ChickenSoup/formulasnew.php) (less holistic, but still up there).

chico2
June 27th, 2006, 06:24 AM
Doggirl,I gasped when I read your post!
We all differ in opinions,but I would never recommend Hills to any new catowner.
The wet/dry combination has always worked well for me and my cats,for more than 30yrs and they all lived long happy lives.

Shamrock
June 27th, 2006, 05:05 PM
I agree with Chico and Prin on the Hills food... not what I would ever reccomend to new cat owners.
I also believe at least some wet food in a cat's diet is important.. particularly for neutered male indoor cats.

After a UTI with one male, the vet reccomended I switch to the prescription food they carried.
Assuming it "must" be good.. I brought a bag home, checked out the ingredients.. and did a double-take. It was loaded with corn, and overall seemed a poor quality food - not nearly as good as what I had been feeding.
(Wellness then... now on Go Natural).

But.. I'd been feeding dry only.
I went back to the same food, and introduced a wet food daily.
No further UTI's in over 3 years.. or any other health problems

Cat diets vary greatly.. there are so many variables. As this has worked well for me..its what I would recomend to others inquiring about foods.

siberian3
June 28th, 2006, 09:54 PM
My cat has the same issue on occasion and I asked my vet about it just the other day - she said its common in cats and that the most common reason for it is because they are eating too fast. She suggested that I put a golf ball in the center of the food dish - and then fill the food bowl about 2/3 full. Make sure its a small food dish so there is not a lot of space around the outside of the golf ball - the idea is to have there be enough space that they can still eat the food but not enough space to allow them to shovel it in with their lower jaw. She says this whole golf ball things works for most cats. You might want to try that as an immediate solution to see if that helps before you change food.

doggirl
June 29th, 2006, 09:21 PM
I guess we're all entitled to our opinions...I don't agree with the anti-Hill's sentiment. These are prescription diets. If it was that poor a food, how are virtually all vets being so badly snowed? You see Hill's in pretty much all veterinary clinics, and Medical and Hill's diets are frequently prescribed.

I have 2 cats here on Hill's prescription diets, both who are doing great, but who were doing horribly pre-Hill's. JMO but anyone who is spending the time, energy and money on a prescription diet is not doing wrong by their pet.