Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Going after our other pets

SarahLynn123
June 26th, 2006, 09:57 AM
Late saturday night, Wolf (4 year old Pom) was sitting on the floor between my feet. Shadow (8 year old GSD) came over for a pet and Wolf went after her when she got close :eek: I separated them, it was mostly just noise, and put Wolf in a sit stay on the other side of the room. I made him sit there for a few minutes then allowed him to come back. He was laying beside me and the cat came over for a pet and Wolf did the same thing, went after the cat. This was maybe 5 minutes later! I had enough and sent Wolf upstairs to bed (he knows where to go), I called him down for a pee about half an hour later, then we all went up to bed.

This has never happened before where he went after the animals, but he has growled before when he was near me and they were coming close. We finished our last class of obedience training 2 days before this! He is a one person dog, and I am his one person, so has always been protective of me, but It wasn't a situation for protection.

Any idea's as to whats going on here or how to fix it?
Thanks Sarah

Prin
June 26th, 2006, 10:53 PM
Sounds like he's getting possessive of you. I think you just have to reaffirm that you are the one who decides who pets whom in your home, not him.

technodoll
June 26th, 2006, 11:49 PM
sounds like Wolf needs a refresher course of Boot Camp! :eek: yes you have to nip this in the bud before next time, he goes after a person and causes some damage... because it can and will escalate.

try this, it's excellent! good luck :thumbs up http://www.sonic.net/~cdlcruz/GPCC/library/alpha.htm

Some families encourage their dogs to take over the "pack" without realizing it. They treat their dogs as equals, not as subordinates. They give them special privileges like being allowed to sleep on the bed or couch. They don't train their dogs and let them get away with disobeying commands. In a real dog pack, no one but the alpha dog would get this kind of treatment. Alpha doesn't have anything to do with size. The tiniest Chihuahua can be a canine Hitler. In fact, the smaller the dog, the more people tend to baby them and cater to them - making the dog feel even more dominant and in control of his humans

tenderfoot
June 27th, 2006, 05:20 PM
The couch/bed/growling/snapping are all signs that your relationship with him is out of balance. It is not about doing 15 minutes of obedience work a day. This is about who is in charge. Right now he thinks he is.

His world needs to become very black and white - very structured. It is about how he is fed, how he is groomed, how you play with him, how you set boundaries and rules for him. I don't care if the other animals have less structured lives - his rules are a reflection of his attitude. More attitude = more rules.

It is good that you corrected him for his poor manners, but it didn't seem to take - perhaps he is not respecting your word. Putting him upstairs avoids the problem and doesn't actively teach him how to behave. You need to create the situation and teach him the proper response.

You are going to need to get a bit of a tough love attitude. He is not your precious prince right now because he is trying to become a dictator. You are queen and he is to look to you for the answers. This means that you need to work his vocabulary throughout the day not just for a few minutes here and there. This serves to remind him throughout the day that you are in charge. If he is challenging you or blowing you off then you need to put him on the leash in the house attached to you and use the leash to empower your words. You are not going to be harsh or cruel, but ensure that he can't prance away and ignore you.

You need to start setting boundaries that he needs to stay on the OTHER side of (away from you). You go into the kitchen and he is to stay out. You sit on the couch and he is not to be within 2 feet of you. You go downstairs and he stays upstairs and visa versa. Since he is taking possession of you then you are going to let him know that you are not his to possess.

Then, with him on the leash, you are going to invite him to be next to you. Invite the other dog in aswell. Have your leash ready to make a correction. Pet the GSD 2 times and praise him for being good. Turn to the Pom and pet him and praise him for being good. Go back and forth. READY to correct the Pom at the slightest sign (stiffening of the face/body, low vibrating throat, a single whisker out of place...). If you have to correct him, do so with enough energy (don't scare him) that he visibly softens for you. Then go right back to being nice to them both. He needs to learn the balance of good choices and bad choices. If he is insisting on being a twit and doesn't listen then I would send him out of your space (not another room) and lavish on the GSD (the GSD needs to know that you are happy with him and only mad at the Pom). Let the Pom sulk in the corner for a bit. Let him see where nasty manners get him. Ignore him for a few minutes and then invite him in and start again. You want to end on a positive note - not failure.

Mahealani770
June 28th, 2006, 07:48 AM
Tenderfoot, you are truly amazing. I'm going to use your advice with my Pom. I don't know if you remember but he likes to guard his chewies AND my partner. It's getting better but we still have a ways to go. We are so blessed to have you on this board and I just wanted to say thanks!
Mahealani

SarahLynn123
June 28th, 2006, 10:08 AM
Yes, Thank you tenderfoot!

Guess I will have to start getting tough, this needs to be nipped in the but immediatly!

And thanks also for the read technodoll! Unfortunatly it sounds just like him.

Poor boy is going to be in for a rude awakening!
Thanks again
Sarah