Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

keep my animals full

soccerbabi67
June 25th, 2006, 08:09 PM
i have a dog, a mutt about 30-35lbs, and a cat, tabby (i believe) about 20lbs, my dog, macy, im not to concerned about we leave her food all day and she picks. she likes to eat when we eat too, he favorite snack is cheese or anything cheese flavored, she also likes cheweez beefhide chew strips, are they any good for her?? in your opinioins is purina or beneful (i cant spell) good food for her. now my cat, mr jingles is a different story....he loves to eat we try to only feed him in the morning when we get up and b4 we go to bed but he meows constantly for more food. we tryed to leave food in his bowl through out the day he either eats it all and meows for more or doesnt and wants fresh food he wont eat stale food...he will resort to eating the dogs food, in the middle of trying to cover it, we feed him kitandkaboodle (cant spell once again)is there something that will keep him fuller longer??

mafiaprincess
June 25th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Purina Kit N Kaboodle:
Ingredients:
Ground yellow corn, corn gluten meal, soybean meal, chicken by-product meal, beef tallow preserved with BHA, fish meal, turkey by-product meal, phosphoric acid, calcium carbonate, salt, brewers dried yeast, animal digest, potassium chloride, tetra sodium pyrophosphate, choline chloride, taurine, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, added color (Red 40, Blue 2, Yellow 5, Yellow 6), glyceryl monostearate, L-Alanine, niacin, vitamin supplements (E, A, B-12, D-3), manganese sulfate, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, biotin, copper sulfate, folic acid, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, citric acid, calcium iodate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.

Things like corn aren't very digestable to dogs.. I'd assume a good food would be far more meat loaded... And a bunch of those ingredients are pretty gross.. If you are feeding dry, males are prone to crystals and need more water.. They do better on wet food, but your post doesn't specify..

Purina - Beneful Original

Ingredients:
Ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, whole wheat flour, beef tallow preserved with mixed-tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), rice flour, beef, soy flour, sugar, sorbitol, tricalcium phosphate, water, animal digest, salt, phosphoric acid, potassium chloride, dicalcium phosphate, sorbic acid (a preservative), L-Lysine monohydrochloride, dried peas, dried carrots, calcium carbonate, calcium propionate (a preservative), choline chloride, vitamin supplements (E, A, B-12, D-3), added color (Yellow 5, Red 40, Yellow 6, Blue 2), dl-Methionine, zinc sulfate, glyceryl monostearate, ferrous sulfate, niacin, manganese sulfate, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, biotin, thiamine mononitrate, garlic oil, copper sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), calcium iodate, sodium selenite

That is a pretty garbagy food. I think it scored like 17 out of 100 when rated against other foods. If you read some other topics in this forum you'll find a weath on knowledge on how to pick better foods.

Prin
June 25th, 2006, 09:19 PM
I agree with mafiaprincess. Corn-based foods don't have as much digestible protein as we think they have, and as a result, you might have a dog or cat that is lacking in nutrition (depending on the dog or cat). You might want to try something with a little more meat in it (i.e. a dry meat as the first ingredient, like chicken meal or salmon meal, etc).

Oh and definitely lurk around the food section- there's lots of info there.:)

soccerbabi67
June 25th, 2006, 09:40 PM
thanks....i will read up on it.....