Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A good day for a swim...

Prin
June 25th, 2006, 12:09 AM
Some new Jemma and Boo pics...
We went to my dad's cottage today for a quick swim.:)

Jemma and Boo sharing a stick..

Prin
June 25th, 2006, 12:10 AM
In an all out race, Jemma won (by grabbing just the tip of the stick).

Prin
June 25th, 2006, 12:10 AM
Boo looking authoritative and very narrow muzzled... (He had to sit and pose for me because he was in trouble- see 'adventure' below).

Prin
June 25th, 2006, 12:12 AM
Why Boo wears a life jacket.. :rolleyes: Off on another adventure...

(sorry it's so tiny)

Prin
June 25th, 2006, 12:14 AM
My dad's Jack learned how to jump off the dock this weekend. :highfive:

wdawson
June 25th, 2006, 12:16 AM
those are great prin
looks like jemma and boo had a blast....typical lab style...water water water

technodoll
June 25th, 2006, 12:19 AM
great pics! they look so happy and refreshed! :p

hey prin, i'm looking for a life-jacket (giant size!) for my boy, he wants to swim so badly but his butt keeps sinking and he struggles in the water... he's very heavy with no buoyancy (no body fat)... any place in Montreal that sells affordable ones? where did you get Boo's? :)

Prin
June 25th, 2006, 12:19 AM
Jemma splashing around... :)

Prin
June 25th, 2006, 12:23 AM
great pics! they look so happy and refreshed! :p

hey prin, i'm looking for a life-jacket (giant size!) for my boy, he wants to swim so badly but his butt keeps sinking and he struggles in the water... he's very heavy with no buoyancy (no body fat)... any place in Montreal that sells affordable ones? where did you get Boo's? :)
I got Boo's (the outward hound "pet saver") on Monkland... It's $75ish plus tax for the x-large but there are places that sell it cheaper (so I've heard).

I looked at a few before buying this one, and this one just seemed to be the best quality. With the reflecty things that wear off but still reflect like they didn't, the handle for emergencies, the HUGE velcro belly strap reinforced by 2 clips, plus the velcro neck strap with clip... I love it. :) He wears it in the bush too so I can see him better.

Prin
June 25th, 2006, 12:25 AM
I don't know if this one is funny to anybody else, but my dad was taking his guests for a tour of the lake, with Buddy, and I think Bud wanted to stay with his niece and nephew to play in the water...:D

technodoll
June 25th, 2006, 12:29 AM
all and every photo is totally welcomed, more more more! :crazy:

thanks for the info, i'll have to start shopping.... it's only quick dips for now but if we find spots for more splashing, i'll have to invest in a LJ for the land-lubber, LOL! :o

Prin
June 25th, 2006, 12:30 AM
This one isn't from the cottage, but I had to stick it in somewhere because of my continuing effort to show everybody how big my Boo is. :D He's a big boy.

btw, thanks for the compliments.:o

Prin
June 25th, 2006, 12:35 AM
Ok... a couple more... I have so many of Jemma splashing around.. I'm determined to get the perfect splash pic, but it's harder than I thought.

Prin
June 25th, 2006, 12:35 AM
"Let's never leave, ok?":D

Prin
June 25th, 2006, 12:36 AM
Betcha didn't think my growly, teethy baby could look this soft and cuddly...:D

Prin
June 25th, 2006, 12:42 AM
Boo posing in his life jacket. Look at those ear muscles in action!:D

Prin
June 25th, 2006, 12:43 AM
Not a good enough pose? How's this one? America's Next Top Moddog.:D

mafiaprincess
June 25th, 2006, 01:28 AM
Those are really cute Prin. Looks like a blast. I want a cottage, lol.

We own a medium OH life jacket.. I also am a fan of the quality.. I looked at 3 others all pretty much in the same price rangle. Lot of them weren't adjustable.. like a zipper, so if it wasn't the perfect fit you could have a dog partially slide out.. possibly tip over..
Versus velcro with buckles you can adjust the size so it fits correctly.. It was an awesoem investment for me.

glasslass
June 25th, 2006, 01:29 AM
He looks like he thinks he's the lifeguard! Boo-watch!

Prin
June 25th, 2006, 01:33 AM
lol Boowatch... Very funny, Glasslass.:D

Yup, the large wasn't big enough anymore (the belly velcro barely reached around) so I got the x-large last year (Raingirl's Odin has Boo's old one) and it's too big. But other than the neck thing not being straight, the rest of the velcro makes him snug as a bug in a rug. You can still lift him up with the handle if you really need to.

chico2
June 25th, 2006, 07:18 AM
Prin,great pics:thumbs up Love the pic of Jemmas face,those eyes are soooo beautiful.
The Jack pic looks like he's saying"Don't let them take me away,I wanna play with my buddies!!"

Frenchy
June 25th, 2006, 09:28 AM
Lucky dogs,I love Jemma's eyes too,very original.The doggies must be sooo tired this morning right?

Stacer
June 25th, 2006, 10:18 AM
I love those pics, they look like they're having tons of wet fun. It makes me want dogs soooooooooooo bad (but we're waiting till we buy a house).

Prin
June 25th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Yeah, they're pretty tired today, but won't admit it. I was so sure Jemma would get "cold tail" because she was in for so long just swimming around by herself... I'm sure if we head to the river today, they'll be up for more.. Dogs are "seize the day" personified.:D

Oh, it's funny too because all these doggies- Jems, Boobs and Bud - are all 5 now... Midlife my hiney!

jiorji
June 25th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Boo looking authoritative and very narrow muzzled... (He had to sit and pose for me because he was in trouble- see 'adventure' below).

you're a no fun mom!:evil: maybe he was a duck in his past pife:eek:

he's ignoring you like those kids who look somewhere else when you yell at them for eating a cookie before dinner or something lol

Prin
June 25th, 2006, 04:58 PM
Yep, that's exactly what he does.:rolleyes:

Prin
June 25th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Another good day for a swim...

These are from the river today...

Boo coming in a hurry..:)

Prin
June 25th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Jemma swimming so far out by herself... She splashed alone out there for over an hour.

Prin
June 25th, 2006, 05:33 PM
I finally got one with her foot up... She lifts her feet out of the water and splashes with them and I always wanted one with her foot out...:D

Prin
June 25th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Last one.. Jemma was so preoccupied with her splashes, she didn't even see this duck. They swam together for a good 5 minutes... The duck was so curious and because Jemma didn't care about her, she kept coming closer.:)

doggy lover
June 25th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Great pics Prin, they looked like they had tonns of fun. Wow they really go far!

Prin
June 25th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Thanks. Yeah, they do go far out. Jemma can still hear my whistle though, so she's good. Boo... Well... No matter what he hears out there, he ain't comin' back.:D

Puppyluv
June 25th, 2006, 06:34 PM
Awwww how fun!!! I wish my cabin wasn't across the country from here :( It looks like so much fun! Your fur-butts have otter in them!

glasslass
June 26th, 2006, 01:33 AM
Is it Labradors that have webbing between their toes? They look like it comes so naturally to them. Do they come in when they get tired?

Prin
June 26th, 2006, 10:49 PM
I think most of the retrievers have webbed feet... I'm not sure, but I've never had a dog without it. Even my dobie had webbed feet..:o They do have different techniques though. Boo swims like a newfie, with long, slow powerful, strokes and Jemma swims like a regular lab with short, quick strokes. Jemma can swim much faster, but Boo can swim way farther. Jemma doesn't stop when she's tired though. I have to keep an eye on her. She'll swim till she keels over.

technodoll
June 26th, 2006, 11:29 PM
a quick and interesting detour on webbed feet... from http://www.canismajor.com/dog/feet.html

Although all dog paws are basically the same, some are shaped slightly differently than others. Many breed standards specify "cat feet," which are the result of short third digital bones. These compact feet require less energy to lift, allowing the dog to conserve energy and increase his endurance in the field. Akita, Doberman Pinscher, Giant Schnauzer, Kuvasz, Newfoundland, Airedale Terrier, Bull Terrier, Keeshond, Finnish Spitz, and Old English Sheepdog are among the breeds with catlike, compact feet.

Hare feet are elongated with the two center toes longer than the side toes. Breeds with hare feet include several of the toy breeds, Samoyed, Bedlington Terrier, Skye Terrier, Borzoi, and Greyhound.

Breeds that work in water tend to have webbed feet. Newfoundland, Chesapeake Bay Retriever, Portuguese Water Dog, Field Spaniel, and German Wirehaired Pointer are among the breeds with webbed feet.

note that akitas have webbed feet too... very strong swimmers. except for my boy, but then again he doesn't know he's an akita :D

ok back to the thread, prin this just shows Boo's newfie heritage! :thumbs up

Prin
June 26th, 2006, 11:31 PM
lol yep! I never doubted it! :D I bet my boy is bigger than your boy. lol (It's the dog owners' version of a peeing contest. lol)

technodoll
June 26th, 2006, 11:44 PM
ha ha! yes, he looks bigggg in those photos, oh my gosh! how tall is he at the withers, at least 29? my boy is smallish for a keeter... he doesn't eat much, doesn't have that nice thick akita coat to hide his skinniness, and had he been neutered at a young age he would have been taller... but he's got heavy bones and his head is starting to develop. in 2 years he'll be filled out and look pretty ok :fingerscr
i am jealous that boo is so big and swims so well! LOL hey guess what!! i found a kick@ss life-jacket on eBay and ordered it, yayyy! you inspired me! :)

Prin
June 26th, 2006, 11:56 PM
lol Yey! Now he can swim!!
Yeah, Boo is 29"... He's a long boy though... And light. Only 87lbs. :o We're still waiting for him to fill out (he's only 5 :D )

technodoll
June 27th, 2006, 12:25 AM
ooooh i love tall dogs! one day, i'll adopt one... or two... :rolleyes:

jiorji
June 27th, 2006, 12:26 AM
Thanks. Yeah, they do go far out. Jemma can still hear my whistle though, so she's good. Boo... Well... No matter what he hears out there, he ain't comin' back.:D

hehe "if i ignore the whistle, she can't catch up MWHAHAHA"

Prin
June 27th, 2006, 12:27 AM
I keep telling my man that we have a medium and a large, so we still need a small and an x-large to round out the set.:D

Prin
June 27th, 2006, 12:29 AM
hehe "if i ignore the whistle, she can't catch up MWHAHAHA"
Are you Boo? You nail his personality every time. :D He knows when he's out of range and in deep do do. Plus is severe ADD doesn't help.
"If I go back, I'll just get yelled at... If I.. what's that? Is that a duck? I'll go see the d.. ooo a leaf!"

littlesister
June 30th, 2006, 12:14 PM
One of my dogs is crazy about playing fetch in the water. The other not so sure it's a good idea.
Would you say the lifejackets hinder the swimming at all, I know that when I've tried to swim with a lifejacket, it tends to go a little slower than normal.

Prin
June 30th, 2006, 01:25 PM
no no, not these ones. Boo swims perfectly with his. The only thing it hinders is sitting down. They can lie in them, but sitting pinches the inside of the hip.

Rick C
June 30th, 2006, 01:29 PM

nice pic . . . . . sort of Napoleanic.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Prin
June 30th, 2006, 01:33 PM
I hadn't noticed that before... :)

CaityCat
July 1st, 2006, 10:09 PM
Those eyes are stunning! I've never seen such blue eyes on a non-husky dog. You've got some adorable babies! :pawprint:

Prin
July 2nd, 2006, 12:17 PM
She is a husky... With a black lab coat on. :D We get stopped on the street all the time for her eyes. Poor Boo is so special, but nobody notices his orange eyes...:o

See? They're orange...
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/Princi9009/Jemma%20Boo%20June%20July%202006/IMG_0031.jpg

CaityCat
July 2nd, 2006, 11:02 PM
I think he's adorable :D A very handsome boy. I think labradors are the key to happiness---- who couldn't love a face like that? :angel:

Prin
July 3rd, 2006, 12:25 PM
I don't think Boo is a lab.. I think he's newf/pointer or maybe dane/lab... He's way too big and tall, but when we got him, we thought he was at least part lab and that is why we took him. He's my bf's first dog, so I wanted an "easy" one... That's where the pointer comes in... lol He turned out so stubborn.. Oh well, we love him anyway.:D

We actually brought him to play at a friend's house with a german pointer and weimeraner.. Boo and the weim got along and got up to no good so well together...