Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cat wound - scar tissue or infection?

siberian3
June 24th, 2006, 10:44 PM
Hi i have an indoor/outdoor cat who showed up last week with a small puncture wound on the left side of his neck. It looked like it might have been a little infected so i mixed hydrogen peroxide with water and applied that to his neck for a few days in a row. The wound healed in four or five days but when I rub my finger over his neck the area underneath where the would was seems to be slightly raised and hard - like maybe scar tissue or something? It was a small wound though that healed relatively quickly so im not sure.. Anyway im just wondering whether people think this is something that I should see a vet about or whether its a normal cat-healing thing.

thanks!

Shaykeija
June 25th, 2006, 12:33 AM
Ya know you gotta got to the vet. What you are describing is a bite mark. And under that bite mark is a lot of painful infection. This is called an abscess. It will either have to be drained by a vet or erupt on its own. Either way your cat will need antibiotics. Please post back after you see a vet.

siberian3
June 28th, 2006, 09:49 PM
Thanks for your help - I took wink (my cat) into the vet but the abcess had burst on its own earlier that morning. The vet cleaned it out and now I am hand feeding him antibiotics and making sure the wound stays open so it can drain, and putting hot compresses on there to keep the blood circulating. Hopefully he'll be all better in a few more days

Shaykeija
June 29th, 2006, 10:03 AM
He will fee so much better now. You have to keep an eye on him though because he will probably get bit again and the whole thing starts over...:thumbs up You did the right thing geting him to the vet.

siberian3
June 29th, 2006, 05:03 PM
Well, I've had him for two and a half years and this is the first time he has been bitten, so hopefully it won't be something that is a regular occurance! He is normally a very peaceful cat http://www.pets.ca/forum/images/smilies/redface.gif

Dog Dancer
June 29th, 2006, 05:11 PM
Glad to hear you took Wink to the vet. I assume Wink is fixed and probably is a very sweet kitty - it's not him you need to worry about being cranky, it's the tom's who's territory he's wandering into. Your Wink is probably too polite to fight back! Sweet kitty. Hope Wink heals up well.

siberian3
June 30th, 2006, 06:51 PM
Thanks :) He really is a very sweet kitty - too sweet actually, i think he rolls over on his back when other cats or things attack him (he is used to playing with my dog that way- who is very gentle with him). Unfortunately hes formed an under the skin abcess cuz the bite wound was so deep - and now it looks like he is going to have to have surgery. I feel so bad putting him through all of this! I feel like it is going ot be really traumatizing for him.. poor little guy.

I tried to attach a picture of him below.. not sure if its gonna work

IMG_1511.JPG