Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Math problems

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 24th, 2006, 06:21 PM
I have an interview on Monday. Well I passed the first interview - and I am now doing testing. Typing and a math test. Does anyone know of a site where I can practice basic math problem solving. I dont know exactly what is on the test - but any help would be great, I am not good at math but if I know a formula I can usually figure it out.

By the way the job is at a call centre here in town. It involves working with various Hydro and gas companies in Canada and the states I would be answering general inquiries and most likely dealing with billing as well. :D

PetFriendly
June 24th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Sounds like you'll only need basic math skills, addition, substraction, etc.

Just remember PEMDAS, Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division, and Addition and Subtraction.

Good Luck! :thumbs up

jesse's mommy
June 24th, 2006, 07:26 PM
PEMDAS -- Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally!

greaterdane
June 24th, 2006, 07:27 PM
I think its also called BEDMAS, thats what I had learned in school and it helps with all those skill testing questions when you get free stuff :)
BEDMAS: Brackets, Exponents, Division, Multiplication, Addition, and Subtraction

http://www.bedmas.com/

Puppyluv
June 24th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Greaterdane- If you learn it in french, you learn it as PEDMAS, in english you learn it as BEDMAS, at least that's how it went for me. I originally learnt it in french, and then when switched to english math (to do IB) they started going on about this BEDMAS crap....

jesse's mommy
June 24th, 2006, 07:31 PM
I never heard of BEDMAS, for me it was always Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally. I can only say Yes in French -- wee right?

Puppyluv
June 24th, 2006, 07:33 PM
I can only say Yes in French -- wee right?
LOL. Well, it's all the same I guess, I just figured that's where Greaterdane was pulling BEDMAS from. I think Brackets is used when the teachers don't think that the students can remember "parentheses" because it is SUCH a hard word:rolleyes: But frankly, if you don't know that word, math is the least of your worries.

jesse's mommy
June 24th, 2006, 07:35 PM
But frankly, if you don't know that word, math is the least of your worries.

Very good point!

greaterdane
June 24th, 2006, 07:45 PM
LOL. Well, it's all the same I guess, I just figured that's where Greaterdane was pulling BEDMAS from. I think Brackets is used when the teachers don't think that the students can remember "parentheses" because it is SUCH a hard word:rolleyes: But frankly, if you don't know that word, math is the least of your worries.

I was taught this both in Canada and the US. Both at private school and public. I had heard of PEDMAS, but the text we used had suggested BEDMAS. I guess it just depends on what is in the text, not so much the lack of knowledge. Even my university text had bedmas in the front lol. Thats what i brought out to check.

mafiaprincess
June 24th, 2006, 08:03 PM
I learned it as bedmas.. and I highly doubt it was because my teachers were uneducated.. but thank you....

Puppyluv
June 24th, 2006, 08:08 PM
I learned it as bedmas.. and I highly doubt it was because my teachers were uneducated.. but thank you....
Uhhhh.. I was referring to whether or not the teachers thought the STUDENTS were comfortable with "Parentheses". But I'm thinking along the lines of Greaterdane, that it depends on what the textbook says, whether the teacher teaches PEDMAS or BEDMAS>

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 24th, 2006, 08:45 PM
okay I remember Pedmas from my excel course - ok so what are exponents :D

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 24th, 2006, 08:48 PM
oh yes thanks for the Pedmas advice everyone

OntarioGreys
June 24th, 2006, 09:46 PM
Gas is billed in cubic measures so will will likely need to learn about volumes

http://www.math.com/tables/geometry/volumes.htm

You also mentioned working with companies in US and Canada so conversions may be necessary to know

http://ts.nist.gov/ts/htdocs/230/235/appxc/appxc.htm

You can also type in "Math practice" into a search engine

glasslass
June 24th, 2006, 10:41 PM
I retired from the telephone company where I worked in the business office. Probably our math test would be similar to what you will encounter. If I remember right, it was pretty simple basic arithmetic. Lots of problems. They were testing for speed and accuracy.

Puppyluv
June 25th, 2006, 03:20 AM
Exponents are powers:
1. a^1 = a
Any number raised to the power of one equals the number itself.
2. For any number a, except 0, a^0 = 1
Any number raised to the power of zero, except zero, equals one.
3. For any numbers a, b, and c,
a^b x a^c = a^(b+c)
This multiplication rule tells us that we can simply add the exponents when multiplying two powers with the same base.

PetFriendly
June 25th, 2006, 10:35 AM

Not sure if you're serious or not, so just in case, expodents are

2^4 = 2 * 2 * 2 * 2 = 16

You might walso want to look into interest calculations, ie the difference between simple and compounded interest, daily vs monthly compounded interest.

CyberKitten
June 25th, 2006, 12:23 PM
I learned it in French too, lol (Grades K-6 anyway) After that, we were enrolled in an English speaking school. What a change!!!

Here is a good site that explains exponents: (Think 2 to the 10th power sort of thing) hence the adjective exponential. :)

http://www.math.com/school/subject1/lessons/S1U1L8GL.html

The same site provides good basic math skills:

http://www.math.com/homeworkhelp/PreAlgebra.html

Good luck!!!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 25th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Thanks everyone and yes sadly I was serious about the exponents but I remember now. I am scared of math and never did very well at it in high school. Hopefully the simple math will be easy.

Dog Dancer
June 29th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Math - ugh. After reading this I have a headache! It's been soooo long since school - I've never heard of bedmas or pedmas... Oh yes, I'm a bookkeeper!:o

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 29th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Dog dancer =

Math - ugh. After reading this I have a headache! It's been soooo long since school - I've never heard of bedmas or pedmas... Oh yes, I'm a bookkeeper!

I had actually remembered Pedmas from my excel course

I took bookkeeping when I took my administrative assistant course about 4 years ago - assuming I would fail as I suck at math - but surprisingly I got 98% in book- keeping and in Simply Accounting and QuickBooks - unforutnately I havent had the chance to use it - and I am no longer confident in using it.

But I did manage to pass the test and my final interview is tommorow :D

Dog Dancer
June 29th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Hey Joey's mom, I don't recall seeing this in Excel and I use it every day. I must just be in too much of a rut. Glad you passed the test:thumbs up And good luck with the interview tomorrow.

jjgeonerd
June 30th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Funny, I've never heard of pedmas or bedmas. Maybe it isn't taught that way in the US? :confused:

...and being an enginerd, I've taken plenty of math!

Puppyluv
June 30th, 2006, 12:10 PM
PEDMAS/BEDMAS is just a simple way to remember "order of opperations" think way back to grade 7 and that's about when you learn the topic.