Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat Shedding

Fused0ne
June 24th, 2006, 06:16 PM
I have a about 2-2 1/2 year old male cat (not neutered), he's an indoor cat always has been. He has always had a shedding problem. If you pull on his fur hair will come out with you. Now its not alot that it looks ilke he's loosing his hair. He's still all full of fur. Is there anything I can give him? Brush him more? I just started brushing him, but with one run of the brush the brush will be full of hair. He's always shed like this, and as I said its not like you can see bald spots, cause u cant, because he has none. Its just alot of shedding. What looks bad is that if he jumps on you, your full of hair, and the couch he likes to lay on is always FULL of hair.

Thanks.

monkey04
June 27th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Sorry, I have no answer, but I do have sympathy.

Both our cats were bad, we switched them to a much better food (we were just using the cheap-o no name crap before) and our one cat got significantly better. You can actually tell with him when shedding season is 'over'.
With our female though, same thing. All year, constant shedding, no baldness.

Shamrock
June 27th, 2006, 08:46 PM
I have 3 long-haired cats, two very long. Fur's a part of my life:) Some cats are just big shedders One of mine leaves his hairy "calling card" wherever he's been too, I can sypathize also.:D

As mentioned, a diet change may help reduce the shedding considerably. What are you feeding? It can be a very prominent factor to coat condition and shedding.

Frequent combing will remove the loose fur, maybe try a daily routine of this.

Both of these measures may help cut down on some the excessive shedding, and offer noticeable improvement.

This isnt related to your question.. but may I ask why your kitty isnt neutered? :confused:

Fused0ne
June 28th, 2006, 12:23 AM
Right now mainly cost, and since he never goes outside I didnt see it as a major thing right now.

He eats Special Kitty which I get at Walmart. I switched food on him the other day, same brand diff flavor and he wouldnt eat until I have him his regular food.

Shamrock
June 28th, 2006, 03:26 PM
Hi Fusedone,
I am not familiar with Special Kitty... but all the foods available at large chains such as Walmart and grocery stores are lower-cost...and unfortunately are lower quality foods that do not offer the best in nutrition for pets.

A better diet results in an improvement in coat condition.
It's my feeling that if you switched over to a higher-end brand of cat food, the shedding problems you're experiencing will be conserably reduced, and your cats will benefit in long-term health as well. Cats do often balk at new food, as you've mentioned.. a slow and gradual introduction of mixing the old with the new for this transition usually works.

On the topic of long-term health, I realize this is unsolicited advice.. but I would also urge you to have your kitty neutered as soon as possible. At 2 and a half.. he is long overdue. Even though he does not go outdoors, he will be a much healthier and happier cat once neutered. He also could begin to spray, and this has a truly horrible odour.:sick: In some cases, intact males who are neutered late continue this behaviour even after the surgery. Neutering is not something that should be put off.
As you mentioned cost is a factor. you might check in your area for low-cost spay/neuter clinics.Many areas now offer these.. and the cost is very reasonable. I've seen neutering offered for as low as $25, spaying $35.

I offer this in the spirit of helpful information only, not in any way as criticism, and hope you will receive it this way.:)