Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Adding a second cat --- Need help!!

gtexan02
June 24th, 2006, 12:45 PM
OK so I have 1 male cat, age 9 months, a new kitten that I'm trying to introduce into the family. Day 1, new kitten was placed into her own room and given 2 days to get acclimated to her new surroundings. Boy cat was displeased at first (he could smell her) but otherwise seemed ok. We have been slowly letting them both out of their own rooms into the living room for acclimation. The kitten seems to like the male cat, jumping and playing with him, but the male cat just hisses and growls and runs away. He can retreat to his own room without her following (there is a barracade only he can cross), and does this whenever she chases him.

Here's my main problem: I know it will take a while for them to get acclimated to each other, but in the meantime, the male cat has turned into a little devil :evil: He still eats and plays on his own, but whenever I'm around, he growls and hisses at me. If I try to pet him, he gets even louder. If I try to pick him up, he growls and hisses really loudly and attempts to bight and claw at my arm. He isn't biting me very hard (I can tell he's holding back), but the sounds he's making are consistent to what you hear in alley ways when two cats go at each other.

What do I do? Should I keep giving them together time a few hours a day until they are ok, and in the meantime, just ignore the male cat? Should I punish the male cat for biting me by putting him back in his room? I've tried to give him extra attention by playing with him and hanging out with him, but he's so angry that I think my presence makes things even worse.

Any help would be appreciated!

gtexan02
June 24th, 2006, 06:37 PM
1st sentence should read AND a new kitten...

gtexan02
June 25th, 2006, 01:49 PM
I'd really appreciate any advice from anyone on this matter. Things have continued over the last few days, so I'll update you on the progress:

Yesterday was same old same old.

Today, the male cat got over his fear of the kitten, and has started batting at her and chasing her alittle bit. He's still very hesitant to actually touch her, and so things were fine. Just a few minutes ago, he seemed to get over his fear of touching her, and began to bite at her. It didn't appear to hurt her (she didn't make any crying noises, although she did pin her ears all the way back) but it didn't look like he was playing, either.

I removed her to another room, and picked him up, but he hissed and bit again. Please help!

mafiaprincess
June 25th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Is he neutered?

Shamrock
June 25th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Your older kitty's biting and hissing at you is misdirected agression - he feels threatened and stressed by this little "intruder" in his domain. I wouldnt punish him for this, as this will cause him more anxiety, and could make things worse.

I'd continue to reassure him with extra attention and reassurance, and this behaviour should subside just as soon as he and new kitty have made their adjustment, and things feel "normal' to him again.
I dont know how long you've been trying to acquaint the two.. but the time for adjustments and the reactions vary widely. The gradual increasing of time for interaction as you've been doing is the correct way.. and while some cats just seem to instantly 'click".. most dont. They need time.

The biting of the kitten always looks very alarming.. but is a common way that cats make initial contact. Close supervision is always needed of course, to be sure that no harm is being done.
My female cat - then six months old - was suprsingly hostile when I brought in a new kitten, and it took her almost a month before she stopped hissing, swatting and batting at him every time he came near. But, she gradually eased up.. peace prevailed.

A kitten though is generally always an easier introduction to an adult cat, especially if they are young. Your male is still a kitten himself really, at just nine months.. and I'm sure these two will be fine given a bit more time.

Good luck with this!:fingerscr

gtexan02
June 26th, 2006, 08:09 AM
Yes, the male cat has been fixed. She has not, but only because she's still too young.

Snooky'sMom
June 26th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Patience. Lots of patience. At least you are dealing with two very young cats. I socialized two cats aged 14 and 4 starting last fall and there are still problems between the two. My older cat is STILL jealous. From my experience with other cats, the jealousy usually last about 2 years but in your case with your male cat being so young it will probably be a lot less. The good thing is you've gotten a younger female and he can continue to be the dominant cat. Some Bach's Rescue Remedy might help ease the tension for him. I'm sure the two of them will be getting along great in couple of months.

bluequeen
June 28th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Snooky's Mom, how did you deal with the 14 and 4 year old? Last night my new roomate moved in with her new cat (I already have two at the house) My one cat, the older one, took no notice and just went on her way..Well my cat whose about two got into the other room with the new cat and it was a full on battle royale! My cat is doing the same as the OP, when you step towards her, pet her etc..She hisses and gets really pissy..I have no idea what to do with these two because they are both adults...And my 2 year old awas even attacking/chasing my other cat last night and they have lived together for over a year?!?!?

LM1313
June 28th, 2006, 04:58 PM
Bluequeen, is it possible the two familiar cats were playfighting? My kitties were brought up together as kittens and are great friends, but when they wrestle you would swear they're trying to kill each other. Necks are bitten, stomachs are kicked, etc.

bluequeen
June 28th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Oh no, this was a full on war..chasing, scratching, hissing, biting, screams (if you call it that in cat terms) hissing etc...Hair all standing up ...it was NOT good or pretty!!!

Ernie Clifton
June 29th, 2006, 12:12 AM
I just recently had the same issue. My cats started to play together after 4 or 5 days, it just took Mr. Skittles a little time to get used to his new sister. I think in time your big guy should adjust, if not he might just be a territorial dick... which I've seen. Good luck though, multiple kitties is awesome.

mona_b
June 29th, 2006, 12:48 AM
It will just takes a bit of time and patience...:)

My Casper was 6 months old when I brought his 8 week old sister home.I introduced them "very" slowly.

When we brought her home from the SPCA,we kept her in the carrier.We let Casper check her out.He had some freak out episodes.Jumping up and down. from the carrier.There was no hissing though.Casper doesn't hiss at all.Winnie stuck her paws out and he did start biting them.What I did was put Winnie in my room and I stayed with her.After a few hours I put Casper in the bedroom and let Winnie check things out.We did this back and forth thing for a while.And also the carrier thing.I think it was about 2 weeks after all this that we decided to let them meet face to face.

Well to make a long story short..This pic should tell you the outcome.:)

Just wanted to add that they are the best of buddies.Casper is deaf,so at anytime he meows(he is VERY vocal)Winnie will go running to make sure he is ok.She could be in a dead sleep,she will still get up...It's actually cute.

chico2
June 29th, 2006, 08:16 AM
When I first got Vinnie(12 week old foundling),I almost gave up and it takes a lot for me..
Trying to get my other cats to accept him,my nerves were frayed and I cried a lot...but it did eventually work out:thumbs up
My one cat(Chico)still does not like Vinnie,but theres no fighting.
Vinnie and Rocky are best buds and often playfight,no hissing or growling though.
Sometimes Vinnie will work up the courage to chase Chico,but one hiss from Chico and Vinnie backs up:D Chico is the Alpha cat,for sure!!
So please don't give up,it will get better:fingerscr

bluequeen
June 29th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Yeah I know patience, it's hard hahaha...I'm getting slightly worried though about all the cats at the moment...The list haha Riley (2, mine), Gizmo (over 8, was dad's) Jasmine, (over 8, new cat)..So first we have the problem with Riley and Jasmine, been keeping them seperated and haven't had much interest in eachother under the door really..Now Gizmo seems so depressed lately though, my dad just moved and she LOVED him, now I think with the stress of the new cat, my dad moving she seems to just hide and sleep..I was pondering the idea of introducing Giz to Jasmine and see what happens because she ignored the cat fight the other day..So then they both won't be lonely, but then I don't want Riley to feel left out...Argh...I hope this make's sense hahaha...I tried to pet Gizmo the other day and Riley attacked her, feeling jealous..So I don't really know what to do with any of the cats, I just want them happy and not lonely :(

chico2
June 29th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Gizmo naturally misses your dad,I suppose it was not possible for him to keep her:confused: She is most likely depressed,on top of having to get used to other cats:sad:
I don't envy you,introducing 3 grown cats to each other is not easy,kittens are always easier.
I am sure eventually they'll get used to each other,if you think the 2 females might get along better,by all means,try it.It might lift Gizmos depression,but do it very carefully,females are often(IMO)more spirited and temperamental:fingerscr
Just give Riley lots of love and attention,so he does not feel left out.
They do get jealous,every time we call Vinnie,Chico comes running as if to say:I am here what do you want that white guy for:evil:

bluequeen
June 29th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the advice Chico2, I hope your right :) I should have stated before, not only are they all adults, they are all females!:eek: I'm wondering because there is 3, is there a chance they will all be buddy-buddy? I don't want anyone to be left out in the long run ya know...

chico2
June 29th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Sorry,I thought Riley was a male..I have 3 cats,but all males and introduced to each other when one was a kitten,they are 10,8 and almost 4yrs old.
I hope somebody can give you better advice than I can.
I know,were I to bring another adult cat in to my home,mine would go bananas:evil:
It will be a long slow process and I wish you luck:fingerscr

Snooky'sMom
July 3rd, 2006, 10:30 AM
This is what I did. I kept the new cat in a separate room with a litter, bed, and food when I brought him home. It is recommended the two do not even see eachother but my hubby thought it would be a good idea they do. Bad idea. Much hissing spitting & whatnot. How long the cat is kept in the room is depending on the cat. The young cat I brought home was very aggressive and my older kitty was very highstrung and nervous so I had to keep them apart for a loooooong time. After a few weeks I would let him out of the room but then I would shuttle them around alowing one access to one area and the other access to another area but still not really coming into contact but they were seeing eachother. I started doing play sessions with the two together so they would become used to playing together and also giving them treat or feed times together. When I allowed the two together initially it was always supervised. It was a long time but eventually they became used to eachother. They never became buddies though because of their age differences.

CyberKitten
July 3rd, 2006, 10:53 AM
I concur with all the advice- just wanted to add that your male likely smells the new kitten on you as well. Have you tried the old vanilla or towel tricks? Dab a bit of vanilla under the chin of each cat - that way, the smells are neutral. Or - and - rub each with the same towels, alternately. They will gradually get used to one another - hopefully. My guess is yes since they are young. It does take time and patience tho so just give them and yourself that!