Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How to help him tolerate a blowdryer

Rottielover
June 24th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Hi everyone. Here is my episode with Harley. For the most part he is an easy dog to deal with. We have overcome the snapping when nails being done...BUT. I brought him to work with me and gave him a bath. Well around his backside he was great with the dryer, but the second he came anywhere close to his head, he would bite the air, then try to bite the dryer with my hand attached.
I normally towel dry him, BUT in the spring/summer months he gets really bad hot spots so I need him bone dry.
How do I help him overcome this without forcing a muzzle on him. I am not scared of him. BUT it would be so much easier to have him tolerate it without going psyho on me.
He actually tried to hang himself on the grooming table. That's when we stopped. I could not do this alone. So I am asking for help

tenderfoot
June 24th, 2006, 04:21 PM
How often are you bathing? Does he really need it that much? Too much shampooing can create dry skin which might contribute to the hot spots. I would think in the summer he would dry naturally on his own fairly quickly.
That being said - take this in baby steps but as quickly as you can. Start in a place he doesn't mind (the rear) and work your way forward and back. Each time advancing forward just a bit. Desensitize him. Try not to stress him with coming forward too much too soon. Don't expect to get to his head in the first round. So I would not do this when he was wet - do this when he is dry to just practice in little drills. Also - turn the heat off and just have it be air. It might be that you got too close to some sensitive tissue with the heat on and he remembers that it hurt.
He probably doesn't like the noise near his ears either. You can also hold it a distance from his ears and run it but don't let the air touch him. Praise and reward for good behavior. Baby steps of success can quickly get you to giant steps of success.
I would take him off of the grooming table so no one gets hurt or hung. Have a stronger leash on him and have someone helping you if you can. Try not to get all stressed about it yourself (that feeds into him) and just act like its nothing. Also, dont' tolerate the bad behavior - correct him gently and go right back to what you are doing.

stinkytaz
June 26th, 2006, 09:04 AM
I have never been able to blow dry my own hair in the room with taz, let alone try and blowdry him, I think it must be the noise, he trys to go for the plug and then hides under anything he can until the blowdryer is out of site - even a quick glimpse of it sends him into a hiding place!!:rolleyes:

jesse's mommy
June 26th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Jesse is a weirdo. She loves the hairdryer.