Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is she pregnant??

bluequeen
June 24th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Okay so my cat had a little escapade outside and has now been home for over a week. Aside from sleeping and not being as jumpy as usual she isn't showing any other effects that maybe she's pregnant? Just wondering what some of these signs could be??

Inverness
June 24th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Okay so my cat had a little escapade outside and has now been home for over a week. Aside from sleeping and not being as jumpy as usual she isn't showing any other effects that maybe she's pregnant? Just wondering what some of these signs could be??

I'm not sure why you would want to wait and see... ? Why not simply take her to the vet straight away to get her spayed ? :confused:

greaterdane
June 24th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Your vet will be able to tell if she is pregnant or not. The vet will also be able to spay her right away when you bring her in. This needs to be done to prevent this from happening again.

White Wolf
June 24th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Here is an article that might help.
http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-expecting.htm

Please note that as stated in the rules, the members of this board are very pro spay/neuter.
You can read the rules here:
http://www.pets.ca/forum/announcement.php?f=36&a=12

bluequeen
June 24th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Thanks WhiteWolf for the article. Though I'm beginning to think that I shouldn't even bother posting on this board anymore. Everytime I ask for help I get my head bitten off about spaying/neuturing. I realize she needs to be done and once i have some spare money I will do it. But this wasn't the question, response I was looking for. And no I don't like the idea of getting her fixed and killing the kittens either..So I guess maybe I shall see if I can find another board that will actually answer my questions and be helpful instead of telling me the same thing over and over and over again...:(

And just to add quickly. Just because my cat is not fixed yet does not mean I am a bad pet owner or mis-treat my cat. She is one of the most spoiled rotten cats and is very well taken care of.

CyberKitten
June 24th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Unless she is a champion purebred cat whose pregnancy will somehow help her breed, there is nothing gained by allowing a pregnancy if indeed she is pregnnt. Even reputable breeders spay kittens before they are sold. Granted, most are not pregnant. You really need to take her to the vet though, asap - debating this wont help you - and if she is a first time mom and you are not an experienced "midwife" for your cat, you need a mentor and you need monitoring by a vet. I speak as someone with award winning cats who are spayed and a show quality Siamese who was spayed as soon as I could get her an appt with the vet! There is nothing to be gained by bringing more unwanted kittens into the world - if you do want more kittens yourself, there are many many many at several shelters and rescues.

Inverness
June 24th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Thanks WhiteWolf for the article. Though I'm beginning to think that I shouldn't even bother posting on this board anymore. Everytime I ask for help I get my head bitten off about spaying/neuturing. I realize she needs to be done and once i have some spare money I will do it. But this wasn't the question, response I was looking for. And no I don't like the idea of getting her fixed and killing the kittens either..So I guess maybe I shall see if I can find another board that will actually answer my questions and be helpful instead of telling me the same thing over and over and over again...:(

And just to add quickly. Just because my cat is not fixed yet does not mean I am a bad pet owner or mis-treat my cat. She is one of the most spoiled rotten cats and is very well taken care of.

Having your unspayed cat roam outside and get pregnant does not mean you don't love her. Nobody said that. It simply means you refuse to understand that we don't need anymore cats in this world. I wish I could have you come here and euthanize tiny little kittens - we have them by the dozen and nobody wants them - to make room for yours. Is this so hard to understand. Should I post pics of the inside of the freezer at the SPCA so you will understand that cats are being killed each day for simple lack of space for them ? I mean, I really don't know how else we can make you understand. :(

bluequeen
June 24th, 2006, 01:17 PM
OMG I honestly can't believe this. I UNDERSTAND the outpour of kittens and how many have to be put down and all of this, I am not a stupid person. It doesn't change that fact that she DID get out and I'm sorry Im' only human and people can make mistakes. This doesn't mean that I need to be bashed for asking for some advice...And as stated above, yes if she is pregnant advice and helpfullness from a 'mentor' would be nice but I don't feel it is something I would find on here...I'm sorry I honestly can not believe that no one except that moderator has given me one bit of advice..what is that point of posting then and having a message board to ask for peoples help???

greaterdane
June 24th, 2006, 01:26 PM
OMG I honestly can't believe this. I UNDERSTAND the outpour of kittens and how many have to be put down and all of this, I am not a stupid person. It doesn't change that fact that she DID get out and I'm sorry Im' only human and people can make mistakes. This doesn't mean that I need to be bashed for asking for some advice...And as stated above, yes if she is pregnant advice and helpfullness from a 'mentor' would be nice but I don't feel it is something I would find on here...I'm sorry I honestly can not believe that no one except that moderator has given me one bit of advice..what is that point of posting then and having a message board to ask for peoples help???

The advice of going to a vet was offered quite a few times. I am not a breeder so I cannot give you advice on what to look for. A vet will know with some simple tests. If you feel your cat is pregnant, a vet visit is needed to determine this. Simple as that.

White Wolf
June 24th, 2006, 01:34 PM
Closed before it gets even uglier.