Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Poll of the night! The Grand Prix- do you care?

Prin
June 23rd, 2006, 08:06 PM
It's all the rage in Montreal right now.. Don't even dare going downtown unless you really really like crowds and traffic. The downtown stores have been allowed to stay open despite the holiday tomorrow and the mayor just announced that the Grand Prix is here to stay for the next five years (we almost lost it last year).

I know this forum is mostly women, but so many women here have shown that they either can fix cars or have a general interest in cars, so I thought I would ask...

Do you care about the Grand Prix?

gimme a minute to make my poll...:o

Frenchy
June 23rd, 2006, 08:43 PM
I used to watch it when Villeneuve was with Williams.You know,when he used to win.I stopped when Shumacher won every race,that was pretty boring.And there are no cute guys anymore :( I used to like Shumy's partner,memory blank,can't remember his name.I think he was Irish...very cute.

Frenchy
June 23rd, 2006, 08:46 PM
Just remember;Eddie Irvine.And he was a :evil: driver!

Prin
June 23rd, 2006, 08:47 PM
lol I forgot that option- "I'd watch if the racers weren't so ugly":D

Even Villeneuve is looking a little old and bald these days... Not that there's anything wrong with that, but when you look like you've let yourself go...:eek:

My dad used to live right near the track so we'd hear it all day, even with the windows shut. It was kinda cool hearing it while watching it on tv. It was like reality surround sound. But I'd never fork out the hundreds to actually go.:rolleyes: And I'm staying as far out of the city as I can.:D

Puppyluv
June 23rd, 2006, 08:53 PM
Sigh... I live downtown..... and even though I've only been here for three years, I hate it already. Last year was worse though because they shut down the street I live on all week to have "grand prix celebrations". They didn't do it this year thank god!

Writing4Fun
June 23rd, 2006, 09:27 PM
lol I forgot that option- "I'd watch if the racers weren't so ugly":D Oh, there are a few cute young'uns, if you wait for the gear to come off. ;)

Love the races. Love Ferrari. Love Schumacher. I know a lot of people hate him with a passion, but I think he's great. :D Old as he is (in racing circles, that is), he's the only one who isn't dripping in sweat after the race. Cool. Like a cat. :cool:

technodoll
June 23rd, 2006, 10:43 PM
absolutely, positively HATE everything about car races. i mean, come on people... WTF? burning more fuel, creating more atmospheric & noise pollution, wasting space where a nice big green eco park could be to race machines round and round in a circle???... :confused: completely stupid, IMO :mad:

BoxerRescueMTL
June 24th, 2006, 12:22 AM
ugh. i worked at a popular make up store on st catherine and then on st laurent for 6 years and we dreaded the euro trash that the grand prix brought in. i am SO happy to be far far away, in the country with my dogs, working from home now.

jesse's mommy
June 24th, 2006, 06:53 AM
I hate racing. I don't see the thrill out of watching someone drive around in circles. :confused:

Frenchy
June 24th, 2006, 09:21 AM
Jesse's mommy would watch it if Matthew was a race car driver :rolleyes:

Writing4Fun
June 24th, 2006, 02:04 PM
I hate racing. I don't see the thrill out of watching someone drive around in circles. :confused:
That's one of the reasons I prefer Formula 1 to Nascar - F1 doesn't go around in circles. They have twists and turns and hairpins. :D

Technodoll, don't kid yourself. If there wasn't a race track in that spot, there would be a bazillion houses or condos or an industrial park or shopping centres. There's no money in eco parks.

technodoll
June 24th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Technodoll, don't kid yourself. If there wasn't a race track in that spot, there would be a bazillion houses or condos or an industrial park or shopping centres. There's no money in eco parks.

yeah... i know... i was just daydreaming :rolleyes:

Prin
June 25th, 2006, 01:01 AM
Yeah, I don't know about Ile Notre Dame, but parts of Nun's island are contaminated (it's the dirt they took out to make the Decarie expressway...). No nature there...:rolleyes: :sick:

wdawson
June 25th, 2006, 01:24 AM
just think of your local economy......we car racing fans bring millions upon millions into your local area and all in 3 days.........and in those 3 days the cars only run about 8 hour total so not much of an impact on the enviroment , just like a typical monday morning rush hour only with a million mor benefits.

Prin
June 25th, 2006, 01:28 AM
Really? They run 8 hours? I thought it was more like 4 tops...

My man is a vip chauffeur and he got to take some pics of the qualifying things while he was waiting around... Most of the pics don't have cars in them- they went by too quickly.:D Go Mr Blue Car!:D

Stacer
June 25th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Every year the Molson Indy hits Toronto and I've got absolutely zero interest in seeing any of it. There's always lots of hype leading up to it. I completely avoid the area where it's going on. My Dad on the other hand spends his entire spring and summer glued to the TV watching any and all racing, NASCAR, F1, dragracing, funny cars. I spent way too much of my youth watching racing because we only had 1 TV and my Dad couldn't miss a race.

wdawson
June 25th, 2006, 02:29 PM
prin
i mean they run about 8 hours total all weekend , with practice,warm up and the race

Puppyluv
June 25th, 2006, 03:21 PM
So here's a Q for all the montrealers... what are your thoughts on NASCAR coming to the Island? It's a whole different world than Formula 1 (many would argue a lower brow one at that). I'm of the "I don't care"/"oh dear god, what is the world coming to" oppinion. I don't care because well.. I don't, and I think "dear god" because the last thing we need is more car racing around here.

BoxerRescueMTL
June 25th, 2006, 03:57 PM
So here's a Q for all the montrealers... what are your thoughts on NASCAR coming to the Island? It's a whole different world than Formula 1 (many would argue a lower brow one at that). I'm of the "I don't care"/"oh dear god, what is the world coming to" oppinion. I don't care because well.. I don't, and I think "dear god" because the last thing we need is more car racing around here.
I don't care because I don't live or work on St Laurent anymore!! :D Doesn't affect me.

Prin
June 25th, 2006, 05:00 PM
I wouldn't mind either... I mean, as soon as August hits, there's nothing left to do here- all the festivals disappear, the fireworks end, etc etc. Maybe if we have something new in August, the boredom won't hit so hard.:D

Prin
June 25th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Go Mr Blue Car!:D
Isn't it funny- I think the car I posted is the one that actually won the race. lol

meb999
June 26th, 2006, 12:10 PM
I used to love the Grand Prix when I worked at a restaurant in the Old Port. Grand Prix was the best money making weekend EVER!!
I just stay away from Montreal (I live on the south shore) during the Grand Prix. Nic loves the races, I think it's the most boring thing in the world. What other sport does winning have nothing to do with the players?

Boubou
June 26th, 2006, 11:15 PM
Well, I'm not really into the whole race car thingy, but just last week I was saying that I'd love to see the Grand Prix this year. Just to be there would be a blast, checking out all the excitement, seeing the cars (and the hunky drivers) up close - and guess what?? I won tickets from a local radio station for ALL THREE DAYS of the Grand Prix!!!! I got the call Friday morning from the radio station and I had no idea they had pulled my name that morning! I couldn't go for the qualifications on Fri or Sat., but I did go yesterday. We had great seats right in front of the pit where all the action was - really cool and I had a great time, but I couldn't imagine paying $270 for a seat (that's what my ticket was worth - I had TWO of them!!)..........anyway, thought I'd share my cool story with y'all!!!