Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

ticks

ghowell302
June 23rd, 2006, 01:50 PM
HELP...I have a Dobie/Shepard mix...he has a HUGE tick in his right ear canal...he refuses to let me get it out...any suggestions?:sad:

les
June 23rd, 2006, 02:06 PM
Well much to my disgust I've met ticks for the first time this year!!

The first time I took my dog to the vet - - Actually, my bf and I pulled the tick off, which actually turns out NOT to be the thing to do, because the head was still in his ear :eek: You could feel a sharp thing under where the tick had been.

So at the vet I got it removed and bought something called a tick twister. It looks like a little fork thing and you slide in under the ticks body, hooking it around him and you twist and that makes his legs release and then the head comes out with the rest.

Anyways, in my research of ticks I've learnt it's bad to squeeze them or even to touch them with your bare hands because of the lyme disease they could carry. And things like covering them in vaseline or burning them are also old school thoughts and shouldn't be done.

So, I'm not much help =) Maybe there is a pet store near you that sells a tick twister or maybe your vet would remove it for you??

I haven't seen one in a couple of weeks now ... and if I never see another one I won't be sad!! ;)