Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Freaking out - found a flea

LibbyP
June 23rd, 2006, 12:03 PM
Okay any help out there would be awesome, I found a flea:eek: , not on my dogs but on the floor, we haven't had fleas for 8yrs at least, what do I do? Cannot put any topical flea stuff on the big girl as all her hair will fall out, freaking out:eek:

mafiaprincess
June 23rd, 2006, 12:10 PM
You could do LR's advice. Cut up flea collar and put it in vaccuum bag and vaccum the floor, if you want t omake sue ther floors are flea free..

gtexan02
June 23rd, 2006, 12:10 PM
Its most likely nothing to worry about. Fleas are extremely common outdoors, and my guess is that one hopped on your pants/shoes and stowed away until in doors. You then found it, and cured the problem.

There is a chance that the stowaway laid eggs, or that you actually do have a flea infestation in your house.

The easiest solution is to use Advantage, Frontline, etc, the anti-flea medicines specifically designed for animals.

To rid them from your home, the cheapest and easiest way to do this is with flea bombs. You can purchase these from any local stores (including grocery) and you simply place 1 or 2 per room in your house, remove all living things, and set them off. It takes about an hour to fog the house, then a few hours to vent the place, but it effectively poisons and kills all pests which reside in your home. Good ones are totally safe to use around all types of furniture, and there is absolutely no residal smells/problems

jessi76
June 23rd, 2006, 12:14 PM
if they're in the house, they're on the dog... and vice-versa. and there's never just ONE flea.

happened to me at xmas time last year... great present huh?! here's what i did...

Vacuum!!! put a flea collar INSIDE the vac bag... vac like you've never vac'd before... EVERYTHING - even couches. toss the bag. repeat - ALOT. I went through 2 packs of vac bags & for the collars, I cut them in half to help last.

clean, clean, clean... wash all you can in HOT water. especially linens, dog blankets, slipcovers, etc...

You must treat the dog somehow. (and any other pets you have). you can't use ANY topical treatments? I use Frontline, and I can say, it works. Maybe ask you vet what they'd recommend.

Set flea traps - Use a dinner plate... fill plate w/ a mix of water & dish soap. put plate on carpet area - put a LIGHT on the floor next to the plate... leave all other lights off (do this overnight). Fleas are attracted to the light, jump to it, fall on plate, and CANT get out because the dish soap makes a seal ontop of the water... they can't hop back out onto the carpet - so they drown & die. flush in the morning. I did this, I caught a few! it worked for me.

I totally freaked out too when I saw a flea.

mafiaprincess
June 25th, 2006, 01:19 AM
Hey Kim, How's your flea situation going?

mastifflover
June 25th, 2006, 11:46 AM
mix water and eucalyptus oil and spray around walls and on furniture they hate it and no problem for the fur babies

Melinda
June 25th, 2006, 12:16 PM
has a neighbour recently put down sod? Could it have been a sand flea? They won't live on dogs, they look almost the same though.

LibbyP
June 25th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Thanks I think it was just a false alarm:fingerscr Nothing else has been seen anywhere, the hubby had brought in a box from Ca****** T*** and that is where we saw the flea was on the opened box but like I said nothing on the dogs or cats and nothing on us or around the house, but I am doing everything to make sure:fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr

loveyadogs
August 16th, 2006, 01:28 PM
I took bazil for a grooming today and she found a couple of flease, and called hubb who agreed to a flea bath. I called vet to order advantage(picking it up today ) and she said he cant have it now for 5 days cause of the flea bath.so I need to go home and vacuum, then I will clean the cup out with a shop vac, then vacuum again! then repeat cleaning vacuum cup with shop vac.I guess in 5 days I am allowed to put the advantage on bazil then.
I didnt see any and no "scratching" per say, and groomer indicated he was not infested, just a few...i know that means MORE, so if the flea bath is effective , then the advantage...:eek: