Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat Allergies?

gtexan02
June 23rd, 2006, 10:03 AM
A few questions regarding those with cat allergies or those who know about cat allergies:

1. I currently have 1 cat. Would adding a second cat increase the allergies, or is the difference between 1 and 2 cats negligable?

2. I am expecting out of town guests soon, one of which has an allergy to cats. What tips are there for cutting down their discomfort once they arrive?

3. Any medications (over the counter or perscription I suppose) that have been successfully shown to prevent allergic reactions to felines?

Thank you!

Sunkist/Winnie
June 23rd, 2006, 10:19 AM
I'm allergic to cats too. I have two of them. I get monthly allergy serum injections to help me deal with the cats allergies as well as a host of other allergies.

I didn't notice a big difference between 1 cats vs 2 cats...other than I do have to vaccum more often. But every person is different two cats may put you over the edge.

When my brother comes to visit we do a very good cleaning of the whole house - vacum under and behind everything. For the guest room we wash every piece of fabric that can go in the washing machine in the guest room. Put the room back together and close the door. That way it's a cat free zone for him until he's gone home again. We put towels in his room that have just been washed too, so no chances of kitties climibing into the linen closest and having a snooze on towels he'll use.

My brother does like Claritin for when he is with us. It helps his stuffy nose and itchy eyes.

Maybe plan daily excursions to get them out of the house to give them a break from the cats too.

Anyone who is allergic to cats should always wash their hands after they've finished playing with the kitties before they bring their hands anywhere near their face or they'll want to claw their eyes out of their head...not to mention the puffiness.

Oh and be a good host and splurge on the Puffs with lotion kleenex. Your guests will thank you for not making their nose raw with the regualr kleenex :)

PattiK
June 23rd, 2006, 01:25 PM
I have two cats and am allergic to them. I take reactine every single day and it controls my allergies. You might want to have a box on hand for your guests as well as visine.
I find when I add a new animal to my flock the first couple days my allergies are more severe, however they then dissapate.
There is a product called Allerpet available at vet's offices and places like Petsmart, you spray it on the cats and it helps to control the dander. Make sure you are always on top of your litter boxes, keep them extremly clean because some people are allergic to the smell of cat urine. Also keep your cats out of your guests sleeping quarters, I know it's hard, cats have an uncanny knack for sleeping right where you don't want them to. Good luck!