Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help with puppy food

silver_loba
June 23rd, 2006, 09:57 AM
I went to buy Lily( SHIH TZU) food yesterday and wanted to buy Wellness and the woman at the place told me not to buy that one but buy "Nutro Natural Choice Ultra Puppy"
I want to feed her something good and not I have no idea about ingredients.
Here is a list of the ingredients from the "Nutro"
I tried to copy ingredients but didnt work but you can go here:

http://www.ultraholistic.com/puppy.shtml
What I want to know is which one is better that one or the Wellness by old mother hubbard.
thanks

Prin
June 23rd, 2006, 02:41 PM
Wellness is better. You're looking at the puppy food right? (That's where the link goes)
When they break down the ingredients like "Whole brown rice, rice bran, ground rice" it means that that ingredient is by far the #1 ingredient in the food. They just try to arrange it so the meat appears to be first. It also has both tomato pomace and beet pulp, both stool hardeners that shouldn't be necessary in great holistic foods. Egg product is also a not for human consumption ingredient (ew). It also has two fat sources, which I thought was weird, and I looked at the fat content- 15%!! I think that's among the highest I've seen, even for puppy food.

Wellness puppy is great. http://www.omhpet.com/dogs/wellness_detail.asp?pCode=dryDogSup5MixPuppy
Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Oatmeal, Ground Barley, Salmon Meal (natural source of DHA), Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a natural source of vitamin E), Ground Brown Rice, Rice Bran (from brown rice), Tomatoes (natural source of lycopene), Natural Chicken Flavor, Rye Flour, Ground Millet, Flaxseed, Carrots, Apples, Spinach, Blueberries, Sweet Potatoes, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate. [...]
THe first chicken gets bumped to the bottom after it's dehydrated but the second is already dehydrated, so it's really #1 (and none of the grains are broken into pieces before the first fat- the bulk of the food is before the first fat). The salmon meal is great for the heart, blood vessels, coat and skin, and it's an extra protein source, which is great (unless your dog has allergies).

Here's another puppy food to look at: http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products/showproduct.php?id=61&code=180

If you just posted the puppy link by accident, I'm sure you can apply most of what I have said to the adult formulas too. Wellness's formulas are a little grainy but not nearly as grainy as Nutro, IMO.

silver_loba
June 23rd, 2006, 10:19 PM
Thanks so much for your help.Yes, it is for a puppy. glad for your help. I will be buying the Wellness one then. I could not find the solid gold one here. I want to make sure that Lily gets the best one when she comes to live with us.
Will it be hard to switch her over from puppy chow to wellness?

thanks

Prin
June 24th, 2006, 11:24 AM
You're probably going to have to make the switch over more than a week. Going from a commercial food to a holistic food is hard work for the puppy (but better in the long run). Some dogs can switch very easily and others have a very hard time. If you get mild diarrhea (MILD), go back to the proportion you gave the day prior and go even more gradually.:) Good luck.

silver_loba
June 24th, 2006, 12:45 PM
Thanks for all your help. it is greatly appreciated.