Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Adopting a Special Needs Baby

Mahealani770
June 23rd, 2006, 09:08 AM
Hello all,
I'm here to ask if anyone has adopted a special needs dog, or more specifically a shih-tzu, with neurological damage that effects the rear legs?
I have fallen in love with a 2 year old "special needs" Shih-Tzu named Pickles.
Nobody wants her because of her handicap and it breaks my heart. My partner and I feel like we can give her the forever home that she needs but we don't want to take on a challenge like this one, without being prepared for it. Pickles was turned over by her owners, after being diagnosed with some sort of neurological damage that causes her to drag her hind legs, and the vet clinic gave her to a rescue. Pickles has been with her foster mom for a few months and is lucky enough to be able to go to work with her as Mom is a groomer. This would not be the case with us, as we would not be able to bring her to work. She would be at home with our other rescue, Nicky.
Here is the link to Pickles' Pet finder.com ad :

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=6359884

So, I want to be prepared and fully capable of taking care of Pickles. On her ad it says that she has a dribbling problem that is getting better.

1.) Has anybody dealt with this kind of handicap/situation?

2.) Do you think that she will forever dribble due to her hind leg handicap or is it possible that it really could get better?

3.) Do you think that she would do better with someone who could take her to work, just like her foster mom can? I've asked this question to one of her caregivers and he said she'd do fine being left at home and that the reality is that whoever adopts her probably wouldn't be able to take her to work either, but I would like your opinions, as I want what's best for her.

4.) We are going to try a test period to see how we all get along, and to see how she and Nicky get along. What is the proper way to introduce Pickles to Nicky? I want this visit/transition to go as smoothly as possible.

5.) Do you see huge vet bills in our future?

Thank you!
Mahealani

Puppyluv
June 23rd, 2006, 09:15 AM
Maddoxies, formerly Golden Girls, has a special needs Doxie, so hopefully she will see this, or you could pm her. One thing though, pickles is not a shih-tsu, she's a Pekingese (Just in case you were expecting a Shih-tsu)

Mahealani770
June 23rd, 2006, 09:37 AM
I'm sorry, I don't know why I keep typing "Shih-Tzu"..I know she's a Pekingese...lol...thanks for catching that! That's the 10th time I've done that.

mastifflover
June 23rd, 2006, 11:55 AM
More responses on other post which may help you out