Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Getting x-rays from vet

zitacat
January 12th, 2004, 12:33 PM
Hello, I have just moved to a new town with my cat. Unfortunately the 1st vet I went to here was not someone I would like to see ever again. What a strange experience! I really did not like this person and I heard horrible animal screams throughout the clinic, which was not kept very clean.

Anyway, he insisted on taking an expensive x-ray of my cat before he would treat her. He could tell I didn't like him and invited me to leave before he x-rayed her (even yelling to his staff that I was "pissed" at him and to make sure to charge me if I tried to leave).

I have interviewed and found a new vet in this town that I think I will like. The other vet will not give up the x-rays to the new vet unless I pay him another $70.00. he says he "legally" has to keep these x-rays? Is this for real? I paid for these x-rays, I don't see why I am unable to pick them up.

Thanks for your advice.

RDM
January 12th, 2004, 12:48 PM
I don't know where you are, but it is illegal here for vets to not transfer medical records. Your new veterinarian should contact the other one and make a request to transfer the records. If he will not do so, registered a complaint with the Veternary Board of your province (state?) There is absolutely no reason why you should have to pay that kind of money to have the cat's records transferred.

As a matter of fact, I would consider registering a complaint against your former vet anyway, for unprofessional conduct.

RDM

cmt489
January 12th, 2004, 01:03 PM
Further to what RDM said, your cat's medical records, like your medical records at your doctor's office, are actually your property. You have a full right to request them and a copy must be made available. The only hitch is that your previous vet is entitled to charge you a "reasonable" fee for copying the records. This may be his reporduction fee. If it is, contact your local College/Association to check and see what they consider to be a reasonable fee for reporduction of x-rays. Get back to the previous vet with the number that they give you.

I further agree with RDM that you should report this vet. At least in Canada, the Code of Ethics for Vets in the various provinces requires that they keep their clinic clean and interact with clients/patients in a way that is positive and in your best interests. It does not sound like this was done.

Good luck!

zitacat
January 12th, 2004, 02:02 PM
I am in Indiana, how do I find the information about reasonable rates and where to register a complaint?

Thank you!!

cmt489
January 12th, 2004, 03:41 PM
I did a quick search on Google and the Indiana Veterinary Association website is:

http://www.invma.org/

With respect to the Vet Bylaws, they may be different in the US than in Canada. I doubt that they are very different but you should check this before making your complaint.

Good luck to you!

Luba
January 12th, 2004, 08:20 PM
You paid for them you are entitled to ATLEAST a copy of the xray report but a fee may be charged for copying and processing.

The best thing to do is to :

Ask your VET currently to fax a request from the OLD office to the new one.

chico2
January 13th, 2004, 07:30 AM
What do you suspect is wrong with your cat? Was x-rays necessary? It's not something that is done routinely,at least not on any of my cats..
This vet should be reported and investigated maybe he is already on record.

zitacat
January 15th, 2004, 03:40 PM
My cat has asthma, the vets like to get x-rays to see how much damage, if any has been done to her lungs by her bouts of severe coughing and wheezing. I guess what happens, over time, is that her lungs may get scarred and thicken the lung tissue, causing more troubles. Luckily, her lungs appear to look good still.

I contacted the Indiana board, who said that he is legally required to keep a copy of the records for 3 years and that there is no standard for how much he can charge. I have consulted a legal professional and we've found out that other vets in the state, if they are nice, will loan records out for a period of time. We are going to try to see if he will do this.

I've also found out that he's known for not being the greatest vet/guy in this town. I wish I had known this before. I found his clinic on the Internet. He has a beautifully done web site. I've learned my lesson and hopefully the new vet I've found will be great.